You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating a booklet in Pages

I want to create a 20 page A5 booklet ie 5 x A4 sheets folded in half and stapled in the centre. I am having trouble creating such a document and then having it ready to print. Can I easily do this in Pages? I am not sure if it is Pages or the Printer that is making things difficult.

Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Sep 17, 2010 5:00 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2010 10:17 PM

I have had a go at creating the booklet as you suggested. I can see how it works by linking text boxes but I haven't tried printing yet. Do the pages in the booklet come out in the correct order? As I have already created the entire booklet in Pages then realised I could not print it as I had thought, can I copy whole sections (chapters) across to a new document that has been set up as you suggest. Also when I followed your instructions 'You will now need to click outside the layout again & drag the cursor toward the text box to select it" - I could not drag the curser from outside the layout lines of the page across to the test box. However I had no problem linking text boxes. Should I layout the document as it would be printed ie Pages 1 & 20 together, then 2 & 19, 3 & 18 etc.?
I appreciate your advice.
26 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 18, 2010 10:17 PM in response to Peggy

I have had a go at creating the booklet as you suggested. I can see how it works by linking text boxes but I haven't tried printing yet. Do the pages in the booklet come out in the correct order? As I have already created the entire booklet in Pages then realised I could not print it as I had thought, can I copy whole sections (chapters) across to a new document that has been set up as you suggest. Also when I followed your instructions 'You will now need to click outside the layout again & drag the cursor toward the text box to select it" - I could not drag the curser from outside the layout lines of the page across to the test box. However I had no problem linking text boxes. Should I layout the document as it would be printed ie Pages 1 & 20 together, then 2 & 19, 3 & 18 etc.?
I appreciate your advice.

Sep 18, 2010 10:59 PM in response to calocasia

The easy way to create a booklet is to use page size in Pages as the booklet will have. That is if you want the pages to be A5 use A5 and not A4 with 2 "pages".

Create the booklet and give it page numbers. Also check in the Inspector palette > Document tab > Facing pages. Make the inner margin a little wider. When ready first save a Pages document so you'll have a version that can be made changes to. Then go File > Print > PDF button > Create booklet (if you have installed it that is). You will get a special PDF file which you open and go print to print in the normal way. Create booklet will have placed the pages in the right order for a booklet. It is really easy when you have tried it.

Sep 19, 2010 8:23 AM in response to calocasia

Solution 1 (a or b) is not easy. I had several templates in AppleWorks for various numbers of pages. Pages makes fitting the content to a specific number of pages much easier as I can "play" with line & character spacing.

I recently had to use this method for my Sunday church bulletin when my Mac running Leopard wouldn't work & I didn't have another Mac with Leopard handy. It made me install Leopard on a Mac before next week's bulletin was due. I think I should reorganize the reply & put the easy solution first.

User uploaded file

Sep 17, 2010 8:14 PM in response to calocasia

Welcome to Apple Discussions

I'm not sure how "easy" it is for others, but for me it is. These are instructions I wrote quite some time ago & I've updated them periodically.

There are a few ways to do this. The first two involve setting your Pages document in File > Page Setup… to landscape orientation. I originally wrote this for Pages 2. In Pages 3 or 4, use the page layout mode for #s 1a & 1b.

1a - Use linked text boxes. This is easier done with the layout showing. First you need to add a page break to have two pages. Click in the body area & then Insert > Page Break. Now click outside the layout area to enter object mode & click the "T" in the tool bar or Insert > Text to create a text box & type something in it. This is to keep the box from disappearing if you click elsewhere & the text can be replaced later. If you already have some text to paste in you can just paste while in object mode & a text box containing your text will be created. You will now need to click outside the layout again & drag the cursor toward the text box to select it. You can now position the first text box in the lower right of your 2-page document. It is easier to see where it goes if you have the document set up with 2 columns. Click on the blue-outlined tab at the lower right of the text box to create a new of the same size & move the box to the upper left. Repeat for a box for the upper right & again for the lower right. You will now have 4 linked text boxes.

1b - Start as in 1a creating a 2-page document with 2 columns in landscape orientation. For this one you will use the body text area. Just type or paste your text in as normal, starting in the upper left. When you have your text done, cut all of the text in the first column (upper left), insert a column break after the last character on the now lower left column & paste the cut text after it in the now lower right column.

Neither one of these will let you automatically use page numbers because Pages "sees" each page & you actually have 2 pages per page.

2 - For users of Leopard or earlier, use Cocoa Booklet. For a folded letter-size booklet start with your Pages document in Legal size & larger than normal font size. For an A5 booklet, create your Pages document in A4 size & larger font size. Export the Pages document to a PDF & then drag the PDF to the icon of Cocoa Booklet. It will create a new PDF in booklet form.

CocoaBooklet no longer works in Snow Leopard so you'll need to use Create Booklet Service to create a booklet with any number of pages (best in a multiple of 4). I like the results better with CocoaBooklet, so I save my Pages document as a PDF on my iMac running Snow Leopard & then transfer the file via my network to my Mac mini running Leopard to make the booklet with CocoaBooklet & then copy it back to my iMac. I actually do all of this from my iMac. My Mac mini runs "headless" as a print & weather server, so I use Back-to-My-Mac screen sharing.

User uploaded file

Sep 18, 2010 10:36 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

I downloaded Swift and had a go but the document does not look right - there does not seem to be allowance for inside page margins - I am not sure it would work. I have created a lovely booklet in Pages and now i wonder if the only solution is to cut and paste the pages into the order they will come out on the printer (printing all pages on one side then manually turning the pages over and printing the other side) and forgo the page numbering on the bottom. I thought it would all be easy on my new computer!

Sep 20, 2010 5:09 AM in response to Peggy

I have tried everything so far including reloading the software for my printer - to no avail. I am wondering if the simplest solution is to rearrange the booklet so that pages 1 & 20 are on the same sheet and then 3 & 18 then 5 & 16 etc - print all those pages, then manually print the other side. Somehow I would have to put in page numbers manually as well. But I also created several 'sections' and it does not seem easy to cut out a page and paste it elsewhere. It is such a shame as the booklet looked excellent on screen - it was just when I wanted to print it that I struck problems. But I should have one more try at Create a booklet as I hate to be defeated by this. If you can come up with a new reply I will try it.

Sep 20, 2010 4:15 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

I looked at your previous instructions for 'imposition' which is exactly what I want to do however
the booklet I have created (the same way as I have previously done in Publisher on a PC) has page numbers in the footnote and also chapters in 'sections'. I will redo the whole booklet if I have to (without sections) but is there a way of removing sections so I can cut and paste the existing pages to get the 'imposition' order? I have also sent the document to Peggy as she and Fruhulda offered to change the booklet for me.

Sep 20, 2010 4:59 PM in response to calocasia

You are going the hard way about this.

Just stick to creating the pdfs and you can shuffle them in the .pdf by dragging them in the thumbnail

If you want more than one page per sheet you can drag out individual pages from the pdf and drag those pdfs into a new Pages document in the order you want to print them.

Have you looked at the instructions in the link I posted?

If you really want to remove sections:

+Menu > View > Show Invisibles > Delete the blue lines with chapter icons+

However this will probably lead to further complications.

Peter

Sep 20, 2010 9:37 PM in response to calocasia

I got the PDF, converted it to an A5 booklet PDF & sent it back. All I had to do was change the preferences in CocoaBooklet since I normally use US Letter size. I do recall it not being easy to get the settings so that I got the output I wanted, though. Now it's very quick & easy for me since I do it so often.

User uploaded file

Sep 22, 2010 7:56 AM in response to calocasia

Hi Calocasia
I produce many booklets here in UK (A4 folded to A5) The best program for me is Cheap Impostor - handles all my imposition a treat! Produce your booklet as you like it - export as pdf - launch Cheap Impostor and open the pdf from there - Sorted! One of these days Apple will realise that Pages without imposition facility is a BIG oversight.

Creating a booklet in Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.