Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Random bell sound

For the past week or so my iPhone 3GS has made a random bell noise a little after 12pm every day. I've never heard the sound before and when I turn phone on there is no message or anything. I manually closed all the apps in the quick launch bar and turned phone on and off and it is still happening. Is this happening to anyone else? Any idea what is causing it? Is my iPhone going senile?

HP Pavillion 9000, Windows Vista, iPhone 3GS

Posted on Sep 20, 2010 7:27 AM

23 replies

Sep 28, 2010 9:40 AM in response to wvu76

I know that I'm not really answering this question, but I have had the same issue with the iPhone 4. It's a unique bell sound, kind of reminds me of the little christmas bells, nothing like the alarm or calendar reminders. This sound is not a ringtone or notification option, and in my part, I don't have any push options on for apps.

Sep 28, 2010 10:36 AM in response to ErreaC

I've finally figured it out!!! I recently got a free app called appbzr. It basically tells you any apps that recently became free or had a price drop. Well the default setting on this app is to beep once a day with updates on how many new apps have become free, cheaper, etc. Well for some reason it defaults to beep with no visual notification of why it beeped. I found it with dumb luck when going through the options in the app to provide a visual notification along with the beep and sure enough the next day at 12:26pm the bells rang again, this time with the visual notification. Just a poorly designed app in the end. Hope this helps anyone else.

Oct 18, 2010 12:48 PM in response to wvu76

Thank you! This is has been driving me crazy for a couple weeks. I spent an hour searching for stuff like iphone, background, vibrate, jingle sound, bell sound, etc., and finally landed here.

My phone played a jingle sound (and I think vibrates) every day at noon. I'd check and there would be no new email/text messages, calender events, updates, badges, etc. I like appbzr, but I think that is a bit lame that this would be enabled by default and alert the user in such a non-visual way.

Random bell sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.