Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the new Apple TV support VPN?

I have not read about it supporting VPN in any review, but since it's an IOS I am hopeful it might? If you have bought one and it's delivered can you tell me what are the network connection options and is VPN support available?

Thanks!

13" Unibody Mackbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Sep 30, 2010 8:14 AM

46 replies

Oct 20, 2010 6:32 AM in response to KayBee

Some good news...VPN works, this is what worked for me

1. A Vista PC connected to the internet via wired LAN

2. A VPN connection activated on that PC, enabled sharing that connection via wireless

3. A wireless-n dongle connected on that PC, set up an ad-hoc network, assigned a SSID

4. Voila you have created a VPN wireless hotspot!

I am having issues with HDCP with Netflix on my 2 yr old Samsung LCD panel though, hopefully once thats fixed it'll be awesome

Oct 20, 2010 7:51 AM in response to Black_Suslik

I think the internal wi-fi card should work as well, my PC motherboard does not have internal wi-fi so I used a 3 year old dongle that was lying idle, thankfully it worked.

The process is the same, I used Vista to create the Ad-Hoc network, should work similarly in W7 I am assuming. I think the ad-hoc network requires someone to connect to it before it's activated, try connecting to it from your phone/laptop first, and then see if the ATV connects.

Good luck!

Dec 6, 2010 11:58 AM in response to KayBee

Hi KayBee,

To get my AppleTV to work with my VPN I did the following:

The easiest way is to get an OPENVPN account and a DD-WRT supported router. The DD-WRT supported router then acts as the client to connect to the VPN service (thus all traffic will go through the VPN - no configurations need on individual devices connected to the router).

Buffalo recently launched a series of new DD-WRT enabled (factory installed) high power router and access points: WZR-HP-G300NH, WHR-HP-G300N and WHR-HP-GN.

On the portal VPN Television http://www.vpntelevision.com I found some useful info on OPENVPN providers that support DD-WRT routers. I'm using Hide My *** VPN with OPENVPN and the Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N. I am now able to access Netflix from Europe with now problems at all : )

Some info on Buffalo & DD-WRT:
"Serving millions of users worldwide, DD-WRT is the leading Linux based alternative open source firmware for wireless routers, enabling basic entry level equipment to act like enterprise products. With DD-WRT, Buffalo’s lineup of high power routers will support professional features like VPN (PPTP, OpenVPN), VLAN (tagging), Virtual AP (multi-SSIDs for multi-connection and security), RADIUS server, hot spot support, volume quotas, iPv6 support, detailed monitoring and a host of other high-end features. Additionally, installation will be headache free with an easy setup wizard and 24/7 US-based toll free technical support. "

Good luck in your VPN + Apple TV endeavors!

Take care,

Jessica

Does the new Apple TV support VPN?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.