Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDMI vs Component Video

I just ordered the new Apple Tv and need to know if it is possible to connect it to a tv via component video? I do not have an HDMI connection on my stereo or tv.

dell, Windows XP Pro

Posted on Oct 12, 2010 9:49 AM

20 replies

Oct 12, 2010 10:02 AM in response to lradock

You might have issues then. Does your TV or Stereo have optical audio input ? Regardless you will need a way to convert HDMI to component, which means purchasing some type of hardware for the conversion. If you have no optical audio input on the TV or Stereo your looking at another conversion for audio. This is one of my complaints with the ATV2. While Im not affected because I have an up to date receiver and set, some people need more connection options.

My advise to anyone that is into music and movies would be to update your set or receiver over adding little pieces of hardware to make conversions. Onkyo makes a 7.1 receiver for $240. Your current equipment is going to be a limiting factor now and in the future.

Oct 12, 2010 11:55 AM in response to rz22g

Yes, I do have optical audio inputs. It is a Harmon/Kardon receiver and Mitsubishi projection screen set. It is all about 8 or 9 years old so it is 1080i HD but only has component video input, not HDMI.

Does anyone know of any conversion hardware? I can use the HDMI on my other set... just not this one.

Oct 12, 2010 12:53 PM in response to lradock

My TV has only one HDMI input, and I need that for cable. My new AppleTV2 only has an HDMI port. My TV has both Component and Composite ports. I bought an HDMI to Component (5RCA) cable, but the TV has not recognized the signal from the AppleTV2 using this cable.

Does the AppleTV2 HDMI port work with an HDMI to Component cable?

Thank you-

Oct 13, 2010 8:07 AM in response to twomblym

That may vary from set to set. Since Apple has stated that HDMI to DVI conversion is not "officially" supported, my guess is that HDMI to Component is not either. That does not mean it will not work but that you will not be able to depend on Apple to get you going in the right direction as to what you need to make it work.

In your case, since you have an HDMI input on you set, a better option would be to get an HDMI switch. this will let you plug in multiple HDMI sources with one going out to your TV.

Oct 13, 2010 10:41 AM in response to lradock

Ira,

Go to Monoprice.com and look for HDMI switches. They have a 2-to-1 manual switch where you just push a button on the front to switch inputs. It's only $10 or $15.

They also have 3:1, 4:1 or 5:1 switches for $20 to $40 with remote controls too.

I have no affiliation with Monoprice, just seen them coming up in ATV forums a lot and just ordered a 2:1 for myself.

Hope that helps,

Jim

Oct 13, 2010 11:05 AM in response to rz22g

What you need is an HDMI to component converter. HDMI signals are digital and component signals are analog so no amount of simple cabling is going to resolve that issue.

Essentially, TVs of whatever incarnation are analog devices. They have to be, because our eyes are analog. We can't receive and decode digital signals, so in each modern TV there is a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) which does the conversion.

If your TV has no digital inputs, then what you need to do is buy an HD Fury 3 device, plug it into your component inputs and this will then effectively provide two HDMI inputs on your TV. It is only doing externally what usually happens internally on a more recent TV. In fact, the HDFury is very high quality so will effectively give you a better conversion than most cheap internal DACs.

I have done exactly this on my system and since the HDFury is fully HDCP compliant it works perfectly with every device I have thrown at it, from Blu-Ray, to cable boxes, satellite receivers, Apple TV etc.. I also have a 4-way HDMI switchbox to connect 4 HDMI devices to my HDFury.

If you have an otherwise decent HD TV it is well worth getting the HDFury 3. I am just a very satisfied customer.

Oct 13, 2010 11:22 AM in response to lradock

HD Fury 3 might be good but you will need an HDMI Scalar also!!!!

I just bought the HD Fury 3 and the Apple TV2 doesn't work.... since apple TV puts out only 720p your Mitsu won't recognize it! I also have a Mitsu (WS-65819 I think is the model #)

I ordered the scalar and it should arrive today so when I get it I will let you know!

I will be the guinea pig!!

Feb 14, 2011 2:05 AM in response to lradock

Yes it is possible. I use HD Fury 1.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/HDfury-1080P-HDMI-Converter-Transcoder/dp/B000SOPWS8/ref =sr11?ie=UTF8&qid=1297677620&sr=8-1

HDMI to DVI-D
http://www.amazon.co.uk/HDMI-DVI-2m-Cable-GOLD/dp/B000OOMRKS/ref=pdbxgy_ce_imgb

I connected mine directly to VGA input on my plasma screen. But you can also buy one of those VGA to Component. But I haven't tried this one yet.

http://www.amazon.com/VGA-RCA-Component-RGB-Cable/dp/B000FM3EQ0

Also check this tutorial on how to stick XBMC on Apple TV 2:

http://arturito.net/2011/02/14/apple-tv-2-untethered-jailbreak-on-windows-and-xb mc-media-centre-installation/

Feb 28, 2011 6:30 AM in response to lradock

i have a panasonic pt-53wx projection tv and bought Appletv2. TV has DVI and i bought an HDMI to DVI and worked well except for the HDCP. I am thinking of the HDfury product and want to know if it will work. (I have sound through optical audio and works fine).
Everything works except movies and netflix on appleTV2. Should I buy HDfury?

Jul 3, 2011 2:23 AM in response to lradock

I got a cable which goes from HDMI to Green ,Red and Blue.. tried using the converter via macbook and then cable to a SONY bravia TV.. no picture... do i need more hardware.. i can work it using a normal HDMI cable.. but i wanna see if it works with Component or AVI.... Also i noticed the picture was a little slower using HDMI 5m in length.... something i can do about that also?

HDMI vs Component Video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.