Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sleep problem

Since the last security update, my G5 won't go to sleep unless I manually put it to sleep. I have all of the sleep settings in the same place as before, and have restarted the computer (which usually cleared up the problem in the past). I'm not running anything out of the USB ports right now. I'm using the wireless keyboard and mouse, but have been from the start. Any advise on solving this annoyance?

Powermac G5 dual 1.8, Mac OS X (10.4.3)

Posted on Dec 7, 2005 2:26 PM

23 replies

Dec 7, 2005 4:23 PM in response to Michael Moriconi

A number of sleep-related issues can appear after incremental Mac OSX updates, including the inability to properly go to sleep, problems waking from sleep, and having your display go to sleep without your Mac going to sleep. The most common culprit is Bluetooth. Try these tips to fix your sleep problems.
WAKE UP
In System Preferences>Bluetooth, uncheck Allow Bluetooth Devices To Wake This Computer. If you are using a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard, you'll have to wake your Mac by pressing the power button.
FILE CORRUPTION
Your Bluetooth preference file may be corrupt-you'll need to delete it. Turn Bluetooth off, then go to the /Users/user name/Library/Preferences folder. Look for a file called com.apple.Bluetooth.plist and trash it.The OS will create a new preference file when you enable Bluetooth again.
ENERGY SAVER
If you have issues with a Mac or display that goes to sleep at inappropriate times, you may have a problem with Energy Saver. Delete the following .plist files and restart:

-/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist

-/Users/username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systemuiserver.plist--(username is your name or System Administrators name).

-/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.AutoWake.plist
A restart is very important after deleting these plists. After a reboot your Mac will then generate new ones.

In some cases, running MacOS X's cron tasks-maintenance that the OS performs automatically if you leave your Mac on 24 hours a day-can resolve many sleep problems. If you don't want to leave your Mac on, you can use MacJanitor, Yasu, or OnyX free at Versiontracker.com.

Cheers!
DALE

Dec 7, 2005 5:24 PM in response to Dale Weisshaar

Hi Dale,

I was very hopeful that your suggestions would work, but I just deleted all the suggested .plist files and rebooted...and still my machine will not sleep. Also I run MacJanitor and Cocktail weekly and I have No Bluetooth devices so thats not it either. I appreciate your thoughts.. Any other ideas??

I think this is just a bug on Apples end. I've had sleep problems since Panther and it seems to come with Security and/or OS updates..

Thanks!

John

Dec 8, 2005 5:27 PM in response to Dibart

Here's my other fact sheet on sleep;
This is for a Mac that won't sleep.
USB devices and hubs often cause Macs to not sleep or wake quickly from sleep (notably HP printers and scanners). Disconnect all USB except for keyboard and mouse and try. If it sleeps, add one back at a time testing after each one to find the culprit.

If you've set your Mac to recieve faxes, it may not be able to sleep. It might also have a damaged preferences file.

If you use your Mac for faxing, open System Preferences. click Print & Fax, click the Faxing tab, and uncheck the Recieve Faxes On This Computer box.

If that does'nt work or you've never faxed on your Mac, go to Finder/Hard Drive /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and delete the com.apple.PowerManagement.plist and com..apple.AutoWake.plist files (if your Mac asks, type your admin. password).

If the latter file isn't present in the folder, go to user name(probably your name)/Library/Preferences, delete the com.apple.systemuiserver.plist file, and reboot your Mac.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!
DALE

Dec 19, 2005 1:56 PM in response to Dale Weisshaar

I reinstalled the 10.4.3 Combo Update again, and repaired Permissions both before and after, and no change. I'm trying to think of something I might be missing but I've gone through everything I can think of.

It's definately related to the updates from Apple.
Panther worked out of the box and then when I upgraded to 10.3.2, 10.3.3,etc.. Sleep stopped working.
Upgrading to 10.4 Fixed the sleep problem but now it's back again! I think since 10.4.2

I'm Stumped... 😟

Dec 20, 2005 6:38 AM in response to Dibart

I'm in exactly the same boat. I've disconnected all devices from my ports, done all of the steps lists including the 10.4.3 combo update, and still my computer refuses to sleep on it's own. I can manually put it to sleep, but the timer is useless. Could reloading the software for my peripheral devices make any difference? Is Apple aware of the problem and working on this?

Dec 21, 2005 1:27 PM in response to Michael Moriconi

My G4 PowerBook has been having trouble NOT staying asleep for more than a few seconds and one of the emails suggested looking at the Activity Monitor. Apparently it's supposed to be mostly, or at least partly, black most of the time. Not mine! It's running not much of anything, but completely red/green. It seems something called VShieldCheck is using most of it. I tracked it down to Virex (I had 2 pre-Tiger versions installed). I used Spotlight to look for all their files and then selected all, trashed them, and emptied the Trash - and it's still there!
I see you can use a "quit process" command in Activity Monitor but it warned me that VShieldCheck is "owned by root" and I'll have to use my administrator function to get rid of it.
Should I???

Dec 21, 2005 2:29 PM in response to Roz Schneider

My G4 PowerBook has been having trouble NOT staying
asleep for more than a few seconds and one of the
emails suggested looking at the Activity Monitor.
Apparently it's supposed to be mostly, or at least
partly, black most of the time. Not mine! It's
running not much of anything, but completely
red/green. It seems something called VShieldCheck is
using most of it. I tracked it down to Virex (I had 2
pre-Tiger versions installed). I used Spotlight to
look for all their files and then selected all,
trashed them, and emptied the Trash - and it's still
there!
I see you can use a "quit process" command in
Activity Monitor but it warned me that VShieldCheck
is "owned by root" and I'll have to use my
administrator function to get rid of it.
Should I???

Well, I didn't need to because when I restarted, VShieldCheck was gone and my CPU usage was down to about 4% (instead of 100%). This is some consolation, but it hasn't solved the insomnia problem.
Sorry, I'm not quite sure how to get my messages in thread properly, but I wanted to post this since others with Virex still installed may have the same problem.

Sleep problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.