Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

no bluetooth

Today, all of a sudden, my computer has no bluetooth (which is reeking havoc as I have cordless keyboards and mice)
It is not listed in System profiler.
I have rebooted.
thanks for any info.
Computer is 18 months old.

24" Intel, ATI Radeon HD 4850, Mac OS X (10.6.1), 1 TB HD, 3.06 GHz, 4GB mem,

Posted on Oct 19, 2010 10:22 AM

19 replies

Nov 28, 2010 8:41 AM in response to simonw44

Hi Simon,

This morning the exact same thing happened to me, no Bluetooth preference pane, no Bluetooth info in System Profiler, no menu icon, no Bluetooth anything. I have a USB mouse and keyboard so I could work. I have AppleCare and called Apple. The tech said to do a Safe Boot (boot while holding down the shift key.) Bluetooth started working, but my airport was now off. Then I reset the SMC in the iMac by unplugging the power cord and holding down the power button for 5 to 10 seconds. This cured the problems. Maybe this will help you. Hope so.

Nov 28, 2010 9:31 AM in response to Old Pal

HiOld Pal,

exactly the same thing happened to me this same day on the same machine and I eventually solved the problem in exactly the same way: First re-booting the safe way with shift pressed -- the AirPort Card was reported as having got lost and no Bluetooth was available either; then I did the SMC resetting (the way you find it recommended in the knowledge base http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964 ) and an additional unplugging of the machine -- and !milagro! !miracle! Bluetooth showed up again in the system preferences such that I could connect and use again the magic mouse.

What a pity that I did'nt read your comment earlier. I did a short and a long hardware test (all was reported as being OK), reinstalled the system -- no use either.

So thanks for participating in your positive experience.
Kindest regards from Old Europe

Dec 25, 2010 2:43 PM in response to zqqop

My 21" i3 iMac that I got today also tries to tell me "Bluetooth: Not Available". I've also tried all the things described in this thread and have not had any luck. Does anyone have any suggestions that don't involve me having to fight the crowds at the mall tomorrow to get to the Genius Bar on the day after Christmas?

Jan 7, 2011 1:40 PM in response to Laura Drew1

Thank you lahjakas! I got the exact same issue: after upgraded to 10.6.6 this morning, the iMac was fine for a while then all of sudden the bluetooth is gone from the iMac. Not in System Profile nor Preference. Glad that I found this thread and use lahjakas's safe mode reboot and SMC reset sequence now the bluetooth went back!

no bluetooth

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.