Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Touch 4G connection probs w/security on Belkin router

My wife and I just purchased two new iPod Touch 4Gs. For what it's worth, mine was from an Apple store and hers was from Apple.com (direct shipped from China). So, the serial numbers are not even close to sequential.

I have a Belkin F5D8235-4 v2000 (N+) router with the most current firmware (2.01.08).

Both devices have problems maintaining a wireless connection to the Internet when WPA-PSK security is enabled. It happens almost always when coming out of standby and sometimes just when using the iTouches. I simply lose connection to the Internet. Both devices still show a good connection to the router, but Safari, Email...nothing works. A quick turning off and back on of the wireless on the iTouch fixes the problem. Turning on and off airplane mode also fixes it. It also seems that if I simply go look at the details of the wireless connection (screen with the IP details), that it also comes back. And a power off-on also fixes it.

I've power-cycled the router several times. I've reset the network settings on the iTouches and power cycled each several times. Nothing worked until I disabled security (WPA-PSK). Since then, I've had no problems.

The Belkin router has been working well for nearly two years. My iPod Touch 1G has no problems. Same with my XBox 360 running wireless and two HP laptops with different OSes. Hoping someone here can offer some advice. I don't want to leave security turned off on my router simply to have my new iPod Touches work without problems. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Charles

HP HDX 18T, Windows 7, N/A

Posted on Oct 24, 2010 2:35 PM

25 replies

Oct 24, 2010 4:44 PM in response to CharlieG2010

I have the same router as you have and generally it has been very reliable. I'm kind of curious as, if I read this correctly, you still have a connection to your network but you can't access the internet.

This really sounds like your ISP uses a less than robust DNS service. For a quick check if this is the problem, the next time you notice your touches not responding to your internet request, try typing this in Safari: http://74.125.19.103. If you end up on Google's homepage, then the problem is not your router but your DNS server.

If you want a good alternative DNS server, use OpenDNS (OpenDNS.com). You will have to log into your router controls and change the DNS server addresses, but it is easy to do.

If I've guessed wrong on this, let me know.

Oct 27, 2010 2:34 AM in response to luvlabs

Luvlabs,

Thanks for the response. I haven't yet tried your suggestion, but I'm doubtful that it's a DNS issue. Following advice from Belkin, I tried WEP security and the iPod Touch 4Gs didn't have any problems with either 64 or 128 bit WEP. It seems to specifically be a problem with WPA-PSK. Again, my Touch 1G has had no problems with this router for over 18 months. Neither has two other laptops or my XBox 360. And I've been running WPA-PSK the whole time.

It think the evidence suggests that it's an issue with the 4G Touches. I'm going to re-enable WPA-SPK and when I have a problem, I'll try the direct IP of Google as you suggest.

Best,
Charles

Oct 27, 2010 8:28 AM in response to CharlieG2010

Charles,

I have the exact same hardware as you (iPod Touch 4g and Belkin N+) and unfortunately have the exact same problem. I can get an internet connection for a given time after bootup and then it is lost. The iPod says it is connected, but it isn't, not to the internet at least. Interestingly, I have an app that controls a music device on my network. This always works even when I can't get through to the internet. I'm afraid I've been trying to solve this problem now for over a month and have not found a solution. However, I have spoken to an Apple technician (not a help desk guy, but an actual technician) and they are now aware of the problem. Whether they will do something about it I can't say.

Sorry I can't help. However, at least you know you're not alone.

🙂

Oct 28, 2010 1:02 PM in response to Loz2103

Next time you can't get to the internet, try the direct to Google route that I suggested earlier. Being able to connect via your internal network to the music device is to be expected as the request is between your iPod, the router, and the music device. Nothing is going out to the internet.

The Belkin N+ does have a set of status lights that an help you determine where some problems are. If the bottom icon on the status panel is yellow, your router no longer is connected to the web. That could be caused by your ISP, your broadband modem, outdated firmware on the router, and so on (I've had those three happen to me).

The other big hangup is the ISP DNS service. You might notice this on other devices during the same time period it is happening on the touch but it is hard to check two devices simultaneously. You can always sub the ISP's DNS with something like OpenDNS (which will probably run better anyway). So if it looks like you are not connecting to the web, type in the direct Google address. If that connects, then your DNS is the most likely culprit.

Nov 30, 2010 8:02 PM in response to luvlabs

I finally got back to the iPod Touch WiFi/WPA-PSK problem (been runing WEP since late October). The update to iOS 4.2 seemed like a good time to test everything again. I moved the Belkin back to WPA-PSK + WPA2-PSK and confirmed that the problem still existed. I tried going to Google directly via the IP address from luvlabs, but no luck. As before, a quick off-on of the WiFi on the Touch and I was back in business. For me, it's usually after coming out of standby.

I updated iOS to 4.2, but no change. Then I turned off WMM (QOS) on the Belkin. I had read some other posts saying that helped. No luck. I switched the Belkin to WPA2-PSK w/AES only (no WPA-PSK w/TKIP). No change. Then I tried WPA-PSK w/TKIP (no WPA2-PSK w/AES). Still no change.

My Belkin firmware is still the most current. I can't think of anything else to try and it definitely seems to be a problem with either the Belkin or the Touch (vs. ISP, etc.) Since the Belkin has worked with numerous devices, including a 1G Touch with WPA2-PSK, I'm inclined to point the finger at the 4G Touch. Anyone else have any more ideas? I feel I'm down to either sticking with WEP, which seems like a bad idea, or dumping my Belkin, which is a pain in the butt and a slight pinch from a monetary standpoint.

Thanks,
Charles

Dec 9, 2010 1:56 PM in response to CharlieG2010

Nice to see others with my exact problem. Same router patched to latest. IPod Touch 4 with IOS 4.2. Same results.

I've been going crazy of the past few months to figure out what the issue was. It would be really nice if Apple could work this out with Belkin or figure out what the issue is and work around it. Belkin isn't likely to do much from a few complainers but with pressure from Apple they might.

Lowering the security on my router to the joke that is WEP is NOT an option.

Dec 26, 2010 8:42 PM in response to CharlieG2010

Same problem with an updated touch3 and a Belkins N+ router running 2.01.06.
Using WPA-PSK + WPA2-PSK security
Belkin router loses the touch from the DHCP Client list in about 10 minutes.
Doesn't matter what state the unit is in (locked, etc) it seems to be time based.
The touch thinks it is still connected and maintains all DHCP setting but the router has dropped it. Only fix seems to be turn off then on or keeping using a network application (or not use security)
PS my Droidx does not have a problem only my Ipod touch

Dec 27, 2010 10:15 AM in response to CharlieG2010

Close but no cigar..

With the latest Belkin firmware the time to being dropped from the Client list is greatly increased....but it still happens.
Two things are different, however.
1. Even though the touch is no longer on the client list and cannot access the internet via the router it can now continue to access the home network.
2. just going to the Wifi networks page on the touch reset it and it starts working. Do not have to turn off the connection or reset it.

Don't know whose respoonsibily it is to fix the rest.

Jan 3, 2011 3:40 AM in response to CharlieG2010

Hi Charles,

I have the same router and the exact same issues as you. Ive used WEP and all worked well on this very insecure connection type. It seems to me that this is more of an issue with the Ipad since a number of wifi problems have plagued it since its release( It exhibited the same issue with my 2 1/2 years old Netgear which prompted me to go out and buy the Belkin - as i was an early Ipad adopted and figured the netgear was just too old to work with my fancy new ipad!). Its very irritating to have purchase a new router since I have so many devices including some home automation which do not work on WEP. I even have to reconfigure access points. I held onto the belkin since i thought that apple would fix this issue. No can- no do! Now im off to find a router that will work with all my devices! Awful AND expensive!!

Regards,
Michelle

Jan 3, 2011 10:14 AM in response to CharlieG2010

I have the exact same problem. The helpdesk guy I talked to at Apple said that my router is not assiging me a good IP Address after it suddenly (and for no apparent reason) disconnects. The bad IP Address starts with 169. A good one starts with 192. I can only get a 192 number if I unplug my modem and my router, wait 15 seconds, then re-plug in everything. I then have to turn my iPod back on and hope for the best.

It seems to me that a fix would be to get a static IP Address. Does anyone know how to do that? Sorry if this post is not very technical... 🙂

iPod Touch 4G connection probs w/security on Belkin router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.