Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Different sounds for different email accounts ?

Could you please add a feature to the iphone4 OS where you can customize the ringtone, or sound, for different mail boxes.

I have numerous email accounts attached to my iphone4, and some email accounts are much more important than others.

1) Do the developers intend on introducing different ring tones or sounds for different events ?
2) Is this even possible to do?
3) What about different ring tones for different people?

The blackberry did a wonderful job at this, and honestly I'm really not liking that you cant customize the sounds.

iphone 4, iOS 4

Posted on Nov 15, 2010 11:39 AM

23 replies

Nov 15, 2010 11:43 AM in response to DDN1981

"Could you please add a feature to the iphone4 OS where you can customize the ringtone, or sound, for different mail boxes."

No we cannot, as we are all iphone users like you. You are not addressing Apple here. Sorry.

You can leave feedback for Apple at:

http://www.apple.com.feedback

1) Apple very rarely announce what they will do in the future, and to speculate violates the terms of use of this forum.

2) Probably. If Apple chooses to do so.

3) Again, if Apple chooses to make this a feature.

Nov 15, 2010 12:21 PM in response to DDN1981

Greetings,

I also have numerous accounts, but have never desired to mess around with changing ringtones, or rather "sounds" - I've always found one to be sufficient. I use this thing for business, as well as personal. I look at all emails as they occur, if possible, if not, email will be there for you when you get to it.

Apple has included the services, and customizations that are considered "mainstream", after polling tens of thousands of users for how they use their phones. You have to balance cost, with convenience. If enough people leave feed back, and you can, it's not hard to find, Apple may at some point include it.

If you have to have this, I'd lose the iPhone, if the "sounds" thing is that important, and go back to BB - there you can jump on their forums and complain about them not having this or that, like many of our clients use to do. They all use the iPhone4 now.

Send in feed back.

Cheers,
M.

Dec 1, 2010 9:48 AM in response to DDN1981

Monty1945
Sort your attitude out!

This is a very reasonable thing to be asking for. I am on this website after a google search looking for the answer to the same problem.

I have two email accounts setup on my phone, work and personal. I need to distingish between the two. When at work I don't answer personal email, when at home I try not to answer work email. The obviouse solution would be to have a different sound for each account.

It is not complex to write the software to do this

I hope this can be added soon

Dec 13, 2010 11:00 AM in response to nick323f

Please add a feature where you can change the notification sound/tone of incomming mail dependent on which mail account recieves email.

I was honestly shocked that this feature wasn't already implemented, BlackBerry has had it for many years now. The reason I'm requesting this is because I work as a volunteer emergency rescue technician (volunteer firefighter) and part of the notification process for an emergency is that we get pages which can be sent to a pager & an email account. Now my problem is that I have numerous email accounts programmed into my iphone 4, and I get emails all day long, day or night. I've had to disable the sounds because it wakes me up all the time.

If there were customizable notifications (like customizable ringtones) per email account, then at least I could be waken up at night for an emergency (which I should be) as opposed to some junk mail. I'd love to be able to get rid of my pager again and reduce the hardware I carry around.

Thank you for your time,
I look forward to hearing news about this

Dec 24, 2010 1:27 AM in response to helikaon

Mailtones has the middle solution, because it used your mail forwarding to function like messenger for each mail notification.

I think that apple developers, are using your brains to implement a great function that we will use in a close future to set and customize sounds alert to different mailboxes, or contacts, or maybe categories like: work, lovers, friends, personal, etc..

Thanks in advance Apple!

Jan 4, 2011 7:49 AM in response to DDN1981

And after about 1 minute of reading I came accross this:

+Electric Pocket offers MailTones for iOS devices to tackle this issue. Users can even set specific mail tones individually for each contact. The problem is that Apple’s API’s doesn’t provide any way for developers to make a good applications for this purpose. Meaning that MailTones isn’t actually made the way you would assume it to. *The reason it’s able to give a customizable tone for each email is because all your email gets forwarded through their servers, then sent to your phone via the MailTones application and servers*. _This causes problems for employees who for security reasons can’t agree to such a forwarding of their private data._+

Which is totally unacceptable for anyone remotely using any confidential emails.

Message was edited by: DDN1981

Oct 1, 2012 2:52 PM in response to navjeetsuri

Same. Just switched back to iphone (5) from blackberry. Added 2 email accounts -- one for business and one personal. Would like the ability to assign specific ringtone for eaxh email account.

Its not a difficult request, and perfectly reasonable, feasible, and useful feature to ask for. So those complaining can check your attitude. The mighty iPhone should have this feature.

Anyways, does anyone know of a way to do this?

Different sounds for different email accounts ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.