Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mini Displayport to HDMI with Audio?

Can anyone succinctly tell me the easiest way to get audio from my mini displayport to HDMI setup? Right now, I only get video. Is there another cable to buy or should I just buy one the mini displayport/USB combo connectors?

Cheers.

Macbook Pro

Posted on Nov 18, 2010 1:21 PM

25 replies

Feb 11, 2011 2:27 PM in response to Duke Fame

PBurland and David: alisaan is correct. There is no audio output from the Mini-Displayport in any MBP model other than the 6,1, 6,2 and 7,1, all of which were released in April 2010. If you have earlier unibody models (5,1, 5,2, 5,3, 5,4 or 5,5) you can send audio via HDMI only by using an adapter that draws the audio from your headphone port or a USB port and combines it with the video signal before feeding both into a standard HDMI cable. Here are two examples:

http://kanexlive.com/products/iAdapt51.html
http://kanexlive.com/products/iAdapt20.html

The first one delivers 5.1-channel surround sound from the digital output in the headphone port (but only from sources that feature 5.1). It draws auxiliary power for the audio conversion from a USB port. The second adapter delivers plain 2-channel stereo, taken from a USB port.

Feb 22, 2011 6:30 PM in response to Luesh

That isn't an Apple product. Kanex was the first company to introduce an adapter that combined USB or TOSLink audio signals with video from the mini-Displayport for use with early unibody MBPs. Now they've joined Moshi, Griffin and others in making a suitable adapter for use with the mid-2010 and later MBPs.

Feb 23, 2011 6:10 PM in response to eww

Hey eww, do you think any minidisplayport to HDMI will successfully export audio and video knowing that my MAC does in fact export both audio and video? I mean the thing is that I found a generic adpater (MDP to HDMI) here in my country but the seller swears that MACs wont export audio through the MDP (he's kinda stubbern/stupid). What do you think the chances this adapter will export audio too?

Mini Displayport to HDMI with Audio?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.