Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

best bluray drive for mac pro?

Some of my customers have been demanding BD disks and I need to either jump ship to Windows or find a bluray recorder that will work with Toast, BECAUSE DVD STUPIDOLD PRO DOES NOT SUPPORT BLURAY.

Should I buy an external firewire or USB burner or stick an internal burner in? Will Toast work with 2 hour .mov's?

What brands/model #'s do you suggest? Vendors?

Thanks!

MacPro 8 core, Mac OS X (10.5.8), FCS3

Posted on Nov 18, 2010 7:05 PM

40 replies

Jan 9, 2011 5:30 AM in response to Casper_Cdn

I have had LG Blu Ray in my Mac Pro early 2009 since I got it with no issues at all. I will not play commercial Blu Rays unless you Boot to Windows via Boot Camp and you have an intel mac. I have taken HD movies I made and put on IMovie and recorded them in HD using Toast on OSX using AVCHD format and it plays on the Mac as well as my home Blu Ray.

Jan 19, 2011 10:46 AM in response to Casper_Cdn

I have read (on OWC website) that you should set the System Preferences (Energy Saver) to not allow the hard drives to sleep. This certainly applies to the Pioneer BDR-205. If the Mac puts it to sleep, it does not wake up again. Incidentally, I discovered this is a good reason not to use this drive to install the O/S. If you aren't there to respond to a prompt the drive goes to sleep and the installation cannot be continued.

But, once everything is installed, and the above System Preference is set correctly, it works fine.

Feb 13, 2011 12:53 AM in response to Casper_Cdn

LG ....no install issues...just connect normally. OSX issues...not with Snow Leopard but Leopard will give a blue screen after a clean Leopard install and the initial reboot. Other than that once Leopard is booted then every thing is fine. I just prefer Snow Leopard over Leopard for these types of compatibility situations.

May 9, 2011 11:17 PM in response to johnnyVDO

I am having a heck of a time getting LG Blu Ray BH10 in a Nexstar DX enclosure to work.

Model Identifier: iMac10,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: IM101.00CC.B00

SMC Version (system): 1.52f9

Any hints?

Jul 26, 2011 8:11 PM in response to johnnyVDO

I successfully installed an internal Pioneer BD-RW (BDR-206D) I bought from OWC in a early 2008 Mac Pro (MacPro3,1) using a SATA cable running Snow Leapord. With Toast it worked perfectly. I burned 30 disks so far without a single problem...but then I installed Lion and it all went to ****.

The kinds folks at OWC tried everything to help me (which was awefully nice considering it's not thier problem Lion messed up what was already working). In the end, I had to pull out the ATA and power cable from my SuperDrive. Now it kinda works. I'm getting the same "disk not supported" error window every now and then when I try to eject the drive. I tried turning off the Energy Saver for harddrives as suggested above to see if that helps. So far the drive works without errors. Toast sees the drive so I will order another stack of Blu-rays to test it. It can read the disks I previous wrote just fine.

I'm not sure what the problem is. Both devices are shown in the Device Tree. I guess unless a fix is found, I will just sell the SuperDrive on eBay as I can't use it with the Pioneer Blu-ray burner.

For those of you having problems who own a 2008 Mac Pro and drive and connect it using SATA cable, the solutions so far is to lose the SuperDrive and turn off the "put harddrive to sleep" under the Energy Saver.

Jul 27, 2011 10:19 AM in response to johnnyVDO

Just a quick follow-up to my post, OWC sent me this email. Since everything is working fine with the SuperDrive disconnected, I will try this at a later date. But I thought this may be of help to anyone running into the same problem I had.

This is why I love OWC. As stated before, this really isn't their problem as the product they sold me worked prefectly before Lion and have had so long it can't be returned...but yet they continue to try and work with me to find a solution. All this with reasonable prices on their products.

------------------------------------------------------------

If all your optical drives aren't showing up correctly, there's a simple fix that may work. First, you'll want to navigate to User/Library/Preferences and locate com.apple.DVDPlayer.plist. When you find that, please drag it to the trash, then empty the trash. After that, simply restart the computer. The OS will be forced to re-create the preferences for optical drives, and it should then get the correct information for both drives. I've seen similar things happen with optical drives before, and this tends to fix those problems.

Now if that doesn't fully resolve the issues you're having, I recommend resetting your computer's SMC and PRAM:

SMC: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

PRAM: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

The Pioneer BDR-206 is just as compatible with Lion as it is with Snow Leopard, so it isn't a base compatibility problem. I believe that one of the above solutions will fix this, but if you are still experiencing problems after trying my suggestions, please let me know and we will work from there.\

--------------------------------------------------------------

Sep 8, 2011 10:21 AM in response to Ronin_D

Had the same problem with Lion not recognizing my Pioneer BDR-206 optical drive, while it worked flawlessly with Snow Leopard. The fantastic phone support at OWC worked through the problem. (Thanks!!) Deleting com.apple.DVDPlayer.plist did not work. But this may have not worked since I did not have the latest firmware

FW 1.05. Pioneer only has a windows based firmware installer. So I reset my PRAM http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379 . Booted into bootcamp by letting go of Command + P + R but still holding option after the 3rd chime. Found the firmware download at http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Professional/Computer-Drives/BDR-206 . Installed it. Shut down windows, restarted Lion, and my BDR-206 is recognized again.

best bluray drive for mac pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.