Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Order of photos in slide show

I have arranged my photos in the order I want them to play in the slideshow. When I hit PLAY they play in REVERSE, starting with my LAST slide. How do I get them to reverse and play in the order in which I arranged them?

MacBookPro, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Nov 20, 2010 9:17 AM

28 replies

Aug 23, 2017 12:27 AM in response to mattwmayer

I am trying to organize my photos in an album by name

Okay. In iPhoto (and Photos) the name used is the Title of the photo in the Exif metadata.

synced the photos in a folder on my desktop which are org by name, and photos totally imported them in some random order

The Finder uses Filename which has nothing to do with the Exif metadata. Different app, different approach.

You could export the images using the title as filename and, assuming you use Sorting by Name in Finder they will match up.

and I cannot change this

Finder does not have manual sorting.

Any thoughts or is it just Apple *****

User misunderstanding?

Aug 24, 2017 4:30 AM in response to Yer_Man

Sorry, I forgot I am using an iPad, and Photo on iPad/iPhone does not have a sort by button. The device auto sorts which ever way it imports them into the library, based on date, so larger photos will take longer to import there by receiving a later date and will appear further down the list.

NOT user misunderstanding.

But Hey Devlin, do you have an answer for this...hmmmm.

Dec 6, 2010 11:23 AM in response to Peter Moeser

Got the same problem. iPhoto 9 (iLife '11) insists on playing all my slides in REVERSE order -why? iPhoto 8 never did that. I can't seem to remedy it. However, I will try clicking "Create" (a slideshow) and see if the problem persists using that method. Nevertheless, this bug should still be fixed in the general area when you want to view a slideshow.

Apr 17, 2011 11:01 AM in response to cshadle

I have the same problem and it appears (from reading the prior responses) that no one knows how to fix this change in the newest version of iphoto. I used to be able to just look at a slide show "on the fly" from any album, without first creating a slide show using the the slide show feature and it would run in the correct order. Now an "on the fly slide" show from any of my albums runs from last slide to first. Hope someone or Apple can let us know what is up.

Apr 17, 2011 12:17 PM in response to kjell Moe

First delete the iPhoto preference file, com.apple.iPhoto.plist, that resides in your Home/Library/Preferences folder.

NOTE: If you're moved your library from its default location in your Home/Pictures folder you will have to point iPhoto to its new location when you next open iPhoto by holding the the Option key. You'll also have to reset the iPhoto's various preferences.

If that doesn't help make a temporary, duplicate copy of the library and try the three fixes below in order as needed:
Fix #1

1. delete the iPhoto preference file, com.apple.iPhoto.plist, that resides in your Home/Library/Preferences folder.
  2. delete iPhoto's cache files that are located in your Home/Library/Caches/com.apple.iPhoto folder.
  3. reboot, launch iPhoto and try again.

NOTE: If you're moved your library from its default location in your Home/Pictures folder you will have to point iPhoto to its new location when you next open iPhoto by holding the the Option key. You'll also have to reset the iPhoto's various preferences.

Fix #2

Launch iPhoto with the Command+Option keys depressed and follow the instructions to rebuild the library.

User uploaded file

Select options #1, #2 and #6.

Fix #3

Rebuild the library using iPhoto Library Manager as follows:

Using iPhoto Library Manager to Rebuild Your iPhoto Library

1. Download iPhoto Library Manager and launch.
  2. Click on the Add Library button, navigate to your Home/Pictures folder and select your iPhoto Library folder.
  3. Now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the File ➙ Rebuild Library menu option
  4. In the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed.
  5. Click on the Create button.

Note: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments but not books, calendars or slideshows. The original library will be left untouched for further attempts at fixing the problem or in case the rebuilt library is not satisfactory.

User uploaded fileOT

Apr 18, 2011 6:35 PM in response to Old Toad

Before I try any of these paths, I would like to know why the default direction for playing slides on the fly is in reverse order. The machines at the apple store do the same thing. I have not moved any libraries around - I basically use the apple software and computer as they are configured by Apple. I have very little other software on my machine (MSOffice and Bento are the main exceptions). What are the risks of rebuilding libraries, etc in terms of losing data, etc.

Apr 18, 2011 7:42 PM in response to SteveMM

why the default direction for playing slides on the fly is in reverse order.

It appears that albums that are sorted Manually play the images in reverse order if just the album is selected. However, if the first photo in the album is selected the photos play in the correct order.

When the photos are sorted by date or title play in the order they appear in the album.

Apr 19, 2011 3:43 PM in response to cshadle

Thanks for this information. It does exactly what you say. However I can not understand why Apple set this as the default - that is, to have a manually sorted album play its slides in reverse order. One of the main reasons I use an album (and I assume others do this as well) is to pick and choose slides with a common theme and to order them manually to have them in a sequence I prefer (which almost always is not by date or title). A default for reverse play back seems to be the least desirable approach. Oh well, all my problems should be so "big"!

Jul 17, 2011 1:05 AM in response to cshadle

Simple solution (in iPhoto '11) is to create a slideshow 'proper' from the album;

1. Arrange the photos in the order you want them to play thru in your album.

2. Select all, then click the Create button > Slideshow.

Images will play in the order you want them. If you want to rearrange any, either drag them around in the Slideshow bar (top of the page) or go back to the album, rearrange and repeat step 2.

Order of photos in slide show

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.