Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 10.1.0.56 update kills network interface - Windows 7

Every time I attempt to install 10.1.0.56, it kills my wired network interface (desktop, so only interface) and hangs mid-installation. There are no errors presented.

To regain network connectivity, I have to perform a System Restore. At this point, iTunes is broken. When I attempt to launch it says that files are missing. If I try to install again, the same thing happens; the network interface dies part way through the installation.

Uninstall/reinstall of iTunes does the same thing. I tried installing an older version 10.0.x, and that was successful but it can't open the iTunes library, stating that it was created in a newer version of iTunes.

I'm jonesing for some podcasts, so any help would be appreciated. Is anyone else seeing this issue?

x86, Windows 7

Posted on Nov 20, 2010 8:22 PM

26 replies

Nov 21, 2010 3:37 PM in response to TG10987

I have resolved this.

For anyone having the issue, here's what appears to be happening based on running iTunes setup with verbose logging turned on and watching the time when the network interface dies.

Issue:
During the installation, iTunes installs some network components related to mobile device support over ethernet(Apple Mobile Device Ethernet Service - netaapl.inf). At the same time, according the logs, the install process removed OEM18.inf. This almost exactly coincided with the time that I saw the network connection die (preceded it by a few seconds).

Basically, iTunes appears to be removing a required network component.

Resolution:
After installing iTunes and the network connection breaking, remove the network device from Device Manager and allow Windows to reinstall it automatically.

The following instructions are for Windows 7, but they are close enough to follow for other versions of Windows.

1. Click the Start button (Jewel in Vista and Win7).
2. Right-click Computer and click Manage in the menu that appears (type your password or click Yes if prompted).
3. On the left side of hte Computer Management window, click Device Manager.
4. Click the arrow (or plus sign) next to Network Adapters to expand that section.
5. Right-click your network adapter and click Uninstall in the menu that appears.
6. Click OK.
7. Reboot.

Windows should automatically detect and reinstall your network device on boot.

Dec 11, 2010 11:32 PM in response to TG10987

I didn't have to go all the way through with TRG10987s solution. When I got to step 4 I noticed that VIPRE had installed multiple virtual network adapters on to of the network adapters. I uninstalled VIPRE [thereby deleting the virtual adapters] ran the upgrade, and reinstalled VIPRE. Everything works fine now.

Thanks to TG10987, who put me on the path.

Feb 5, 2011 8:59 AM in response to TG10987

I have also just updated my iTunes/Safari and my internet has stopped working after I restarted after installation. I have done everything, contacted the router manufacturer etc but obviously it is not the router it is iTunes/Safari. I am on Vista and have tried a system restore, this does not work. I still can't connect to the internet. I also have 2 selections under Device Manager > Network Adapters one is D-Link one is RealTek, which one do I uninstall?

I need help! I need my internet to work. Why has Apple not fixed this or issued a proper remedy.

Apr 7, 2011 9:44 PM in response to TG10987

This is absolutely ridiculous. It is April and this issue still hasn't been resolved. I have the exact same problem when I try to install iTunes 10.2.1 on a Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit OS. Many thanks to those who have gone through logs / verbose installer output to pinpoint the problem. Apple's configuration management team needs to address this issue ASAP.

Mar 13, 2012 2:48 PM in response to TG10987

I just want to say thank you for posting the solution to this problem!!! The EXACT same thing is happening to me right now!!! I am trying to install the iTunes 10 update and you've described exactly what I am experiencing....I CANNOT believe this is still an issue!!! It is March 2012!!! Come on Apple....fix your software!!!

Thanks again TG10987!!! Big help! 🙂

iTunes 10.1.0.56 update kills network interface - Windows 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.