Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay support on iPhone 3GS??

So I've updated to 4.2.1 on my 3GS, but I cannot find an Airplay button on my 3GS when playing video or audio. I have an iMac & 2 x AppleTVs all wireless. I can re-direct output from my iMac to either of my AppleTVs, but nothing on the 3GS...any ideas anyone? Also, although I have a shared printer the 3GS cannot find the printer either...feeling a bit like a damp squib to me at the moment... 😟

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.5), iPhone 3GS (4.2.1)

Posted on Nov 22, 2010 11:21 AM

28 replies

Nov 22, 2010 11:52 AM in response to cienzo

Just thought I'd update my position. So most of my kit is hard wired, so I've removed the wired cabling from my AppleTV (1.0) and went wireless and switched from wired ethernet on my iMac 21" to Airport and still nothing on my iPhone. The only thing I've noticed on these posts so far is that the only successful post appears to have an Airport Express...dunno if that's the significant difference, but starting to think that this upgrade was a waste of time...not much point in having a Print button on my emails if you can't find the printer!

Dec 22, 2016 3:22 PM in response to Jdog1234

Hi there,

The Airprint functionality is limited at the moment. It's not a bug it's by design. Unless you have one of the new HP printers that support Airprint out of the box download an app that supports shared printers on networks, Airprint will not work. It's possible Apple may implement that functionality in the future but it's not guaranteed.

Hope that helps

Dec 22, 2016 3:22 PM in response to cienzo

As per your post, I'm assuming you have the Generation 1 AppleTV, not the new AppleTV that was released last month. If that's the case, Airplay is not supported on the AppleTV (Generation 1) and most likely won't be. So you're gonna have to purchase the new Apple TV to get Airplay functionality.

Nov 23, 2010 11:32 AM in response to Community User

Hi yes, Apple in their ultimate wisdom have decided to conveniently forget all of us who supported AppleTV from the outset and who shelled 3 times the amount for the tech. Funnily enough I was about to buy an AppleTV 2 for another room, now I'm not going to out of principle.

I've always laughed when Apple "stretched" the facts a bit, but this time Airplay & Airprint working with just a few clicks (but only if you've bought a new AppleTV or one of 6 HP printers??). Come on Apple, don't forget about those loyal customers who helped get you where you are today.

If Microsoft had done this the whole world would be crying foul today. Don't get me wrong here, I'll keep going with my Apple kit, but it's gonna be a while now before I buy any new hardware unless this gets fixed soon.

Airplay support on iPhone 3GS??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.