Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Calendar Problems continue with IOS 4.2.1

The problem of the 'List' view of Calendar not displaying was mostly fixed with 4.2.1 (it still blanks when Calendar is opened, but then redisplays within seconds). However, now I find that my List entries go back only about one year, whereas 'Day' and 'Month' views confirm that I, indeed, have entries older than that.

Also, the Calendar search function returns jumbled information intermingled with correct results.

I'm using an iPhone 3G.

Anyone else seeing this since the 4.2.1 update?

More generally, could someone tell me how one files bugs for IOS?

iOS 4

Posted on Nov 29, 2010 8:45 PM

24 replies

Dec 2, 2010 8:08 AM in response to fekim

fekim wrote:
The problem of the 'List' view of Calendar not displaying was mostly fixed with 4.2.1 (it still blanks when Calendar is opened, but then redisplays within seconds).

I hadn't noticed problems before, but maybe I wasn't looking for them.

fekim wrote:
However, now I find that my List entries go back only about one year, whereas 'Day' and 'Month' views confirm that I, indeed, have entries older than that.

Hey! I see that too. I'm not impressed.

fekim wrote:
Also, the Calendar search function returns jumbled information intermingled with correct results.

Yes, the calendar search is now useless. I'm quite annoyed as I use that feature a lot. That's what prompted me to come searching for this thread actually. (As a workaround you can search from the universal/Spotlight search screen, but this isn't as nice if you're just looking for calendar items.)

fekim wrote:
More generally, could someone tell me how one files bugs for IOS?

Unless you are a registered developer, the only way is to go to http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html and submit feedback. Mark the Feedback Type as Bug Report. They've told me on the phone before that they read each one, and indeed bugs that I have reported there do all seem to get fixed evenetually, but sometimes it takes 6-12 months.

Dec 2, 2010 10:29 AM in response to chcn

Yes, the calendar search is now useless. I'm quite annoyed as I use that feature
a lot. That's what prompted me to come searching for this thread actually. (As a
workaround you can search from the universal/Spotlight search screen, but this
isn't as nice if you're just looking for calendar items.)

Unfortunately, the spotlight search results for Calendar items are not returned in chronological order.

Also, Calendar items more than about a year old are missing from the search results, just as they are missing from the List view. Yet, I know those events are there, since they show up in Day and Month views.

It seems that the last 3 IOS updates have really messed up the Calendar!

Dec 2, 2010 2:39 PM in response to chcn

chcn wrote:
fekim wrote:

Yes, the calendar search is now useless. I'm quite annoyed as I use that feature a lot. That's what prompted me to come searching for this thread actually. (As a workaround you can search from the universal/Spotlight search screen, but this isn't as nice if you're just looking for calendar items.)

I've done a little more fiddling and this seems to be a problem only if there are lots of hits. It's like something is overflowing. Try creating a couple of calendar items with a unique string and searching for those. It works fine. But if I search for something with lots of hits, like "mtg" or "plasma donation" then it goes haywire.

Dec 3, 2010 6:17 AM in response to fekim

I should mention I did actually notice one improvement in the Calendar app in 4.2.1 - it used to be when I made an adjustment to an appointment, usually to change an alert, there was a noticeable pause during which it would not respond to touching the back button (ie, to go back to the day view). It's much more responsive now.

But that doesn't make up for the broken search.

Dec 13, 2010 10:00 AM in response to fekim

I am experiencing the same issue with the List view going back 12 months and then stopping. Interestingly, the calendar List view goes back 12 months from the date of the 4.2 update or the last time you reset your sync (if you use Mobile Me). For instance, my List view went back to 11/16/2009. No matter what date today represented (i.e. Dec. 13, 2010), the List view still went back to 11/16/2009...i.e. more than one year.

I reset my sync feature in Mobile Me and now the List view goes back to Dec. 13, 2009...one year. I suspect when I check in again in a week, the List view will still go back to Dec. 13, 2009. In other words, the List view is NOT rolling forward to show just a year...it's cutting the List view off when you update or reset a sync feature and overtime this will represent more than one year. It's annoying.

Dec 15, 2010 1:48 PM in response to JimDunn

After much research and time with Apple I discovered that resetting my phone to
factory then restoring the backup, restored the error causing the calendar to
open for about a second then close. My fix was to 1: restore to factory. 2: set
up as a new phone on ITunes. Calendar know works fine.

But does this also fix the problem of Calendar searches producing garbled results and also List View not going back more than a year? The symptom you mention above (Calendar redisplay when first opened) is minor compared to these other problems.

Thanks.

Dec 15, 2010 2:06 PM in response to fekim

Search is giving good results in date order, no error, when I scroll backwards it goes to March 5, 2010, scrolling forward goes to Dec 10, 2011. List view goes back to Dec 25, 2009 and forward to (forever)
All of these results are on two Iphone 4's, one has never had the calendar error problem, the other had the error that was fixed by restoring then connecting to ITunes as a new phone. Both phones have Version 4.2.1 I cannot find a place to select how many month's of history I want to retain?

Dec 15, 2010 2:35 PM in response to JimDunn

My List View goes back only to Nov 2009, even though I have events from a year before that (2008), which do show up in the Day and Month views (proving that those events do, in fact, still exist in the Calendar).

As for searching: what happens is that a lot of the result entries show with no date header, others are correct, in date order, and still others show the text of the result but with no date header at all. For the latter, when I tap on each individual result, I can then see which date it's from. But this can be tedious if I'm looking for a specific one of the results from the long list that's returned.

These problems, I think, did not occur before IOS 4. Also, I have an iPhone 3GS and everything began to run more slowly with IOS 4. I can't help but think that new features added with the more recent IOS releases, aimed at the more processor-powerful newer phones, are causing earlier phone models to suffer in performance. (Perhaps the Calendar bugs are just one byproduct of a lack of interest in continuing to provide full support to anything but the iPhone 4 and iPad).

Dec 15, 2010 3:51 PM in response to JimDunn

JimDunn,

Were you having the search problem before? I understand that corrupt data was probably causing your problem of the Calendar crashing on startup, which is why Apple and I both suggested restoring as a new phone and not from a backup.

However the garbled search results problem seems to me to be possibly a result of a software defect ("bug") rather than bad data. It only happens to me if the search is something that would return many results. If I search for something with only a couple hits, then it usually works fine. For an example of what we're talking about, you can see here:

http://members.shaw.ca/cconrad/iPhone_images/GarbledSearch1.PNG
http://members.shaw.ca/cconrad/iPhone_images/GarbledSearch2.PNG

So, did you ever have this problem? And if so did it go away after your restore, keeping all else the same (ie, same about of data in the calendar, same appointments, etc.)?

Dec 15, 2010 4:01 PM in response to fekim

fekim wrote:
My List View goes back only to Nov 2009,

Ditto. Mine only goes back that far too, even though I have events back to 1999.

even though I have events from a year before that (2008), which do show up in the Day and Month views (proving that those events do, in fact, still exist in the Calendar).

As for searching: what happens is that a lot of the result entries show with no date header, others are correct, in date order, and still others show the text of the result but with no date header at all. For the latter, when I tap on each individual result, I can then see which date it's from. But this can be tedious if I'm looking for a specific one of the results from the long list that's returned.

Yup. Do your garbled results look like the photos I just posted in this thread?

These problems, I think, did not occur before IOS 4.

I concur.

Also, I have an iPhone 3GS and everything began to run more slowly with IOS 4. I can't help but think that new features added with the more recent IOS releases, aimed at the more processor-powerful newer phones, are causing earlier phone models to suffer in performance.

I agree that the iPhone 3G doesn't seem to handle iOS 4 (at least the early versions; haven't tested recently) very well, but my wife's 3GS seems to work fine. It could do with more memory, because multitasking uses more memory. But if you restart it every day or so that helps a lot. (Contrary to what an Apple store "Genius" told me though, there is no need to manually kill the apps from the task switcher. If you restart the phone it does not reload them all. The icons stay there so you can still see what you used recently, but they do not reload their state. So a restart cleans things up nicely.)

(Perhaps the Calendar bugs are just one byproduct of a lack of interest in continuing to provide full support to anything but the iPhone 4 and iPad).

I don't think so. I have the same search bug and sluggish response when typing a search term on my iPhone 4.

Dec 15, 2010 4:26 PM in response to chcn

We have two phones, both worked OK until either the software update or, my updating the calender's both laptops to the "NEW calender". After both of these events, one phone was working as usual, VERY GOOD, the second phone would not open the calender, thus the beginning of this problem. Today, everything is back to normal on both phones

Calendar Problems continue with IOS 4.2.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.