Skip navigation

Bootcamp 3.2 Windows 7 Brightness

114048 Views 135 Replies Latest reply: Mar 24, 2014 10:01 AM by varshalomidze RSS
1 2 3 ... 10 Previous Next
pwhe23 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Dec 1, 2010 7:38 PM
I am running Windows 7 on a new 11.6 MacBook Air and I just upgraded my Bootcamp to 3.2. Clicking the brightness buttons (fn + F1) causes the little brightness icon to come up and move up or down, but the actual screen brightness won't change and stays at 100%. I don't remember this happening before I upgraded (but the computer is brand new). How can I fix this.
MacBook Air 11.6, Windows 7
  • BryanBrannon Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Jan 12, 2011 8:02 PM (in response to pwhe23)
    Same setup and issues here. Anyone can help?
    MBA, Mac OS X (10.5.5)
  • csutoras Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Jan 16, 2011 5:25 AM (in response to pwhe23)
    This problem has just started for me as well. It was working fine but as of about 2 days ago the brightness buttons just do not change the brightness anymore. I am stuck in 100% bright and ***** for working on it at night.

Same situation as others. Macbook Air with Basecamp and Windows 7.
    MacBook Air 13', Windows 7
  • MBAhelp2 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Jan 24, 2011 8:29 PM (in response to csutoras)
    I'm having this problem too. Incredibly annoying issue. If this isn't worthy of an immediate Bootcamp update, I don't know what is.
    Mac Book Air, Windows 7
  • thwap Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Feb 19, 2011 2:10 PM (in response to pwhe23)
    Gah, ME TOO!! grr. What IS this problem.

Suddenly I can't change the brightness, neither with the F1 and F2 keys, nor with the slide bar in bootcamp control panel.

Granted I have modified quite a few things like installing trackpad++ and power plan assistant, which do hook into the bootcamp control panel for their operation. But I still don't think they would be the cause.

I have MBA 13" Oct 2010 model.
    Macbook Air 13" Oct 2010, Windows 7
  • ReMacs Level 2 Level 2 (295 points)
    Feb 20, 2011 4:23 AM (in response to pwhe23)
    On Mac Pro 3.1, Windows 7 with mac alu. keybd., F1 and F2 do nothing. F1 & F2 with fn bring up help.

The only way I've found to reduce glare of display is to rightclick desktop->
    AdvancedSettings->ColorManagementTab->ColourManagementButton->
    Advanced->CalibrateDisplay Button->Next{can you believe this??}->Next->Next->Next And in Adjust Gamma, drag the setting to bottom.

If you have ATI Catalyst driver, this can be done more simply therein. If you have a fancy display such as LG W2753, display settings are variable via exec downlowd from supplier site.
    MacPro 2.8 GHz, Mac OS X (10.6.6)
  • ckahn Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Mar 10, 2011 1:43 PM (in response to BryanBrannon)
    Same issue, but with 2011 MacBook Pro 17"

Brightness slider under "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options" has no effect either. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling Boot Camp from included DVD. Version 3.2 is the only version that can be installed on this model.
    2011 MacBook Pro 17", Windows 7
    Mar 11, 2011 7:16 AM (in response to ckahn)
    Here's a screencast of the Windows Screen brightness slider running in parallel with the Apple brightness icon while pushing F1 and F2. Although both are sliding in parallel, the screen brightness remains unchanged.

http://www.screencast.com/t/ay8p9IShW

Maybe I'll try a fresh install of Windows as a test.
    Mar 11, 2011 3:14 PM (in response to ckahn)
    Did a fresh install of Windows 7. Couldn't find the brightness control.

Followed that with installation of Boot Camp 3.2. Found the brightness control and it was the same: sliding it around had no effect, F1 & F2 keys had no effect -- just the brightness icon as in the video link posted earlier.

Is there anything else I should try before I blow away this fresh install? Should I try installing the 66 important updates? (206.7 MB)

Message was edited by: ckahn
    Mar 11, 2011 4:47 PM (in response to ckahn)
    Did another fresh Windows 7 install -- this time x86 instead of x64.

Brightness control works.

Now what?
    Mar 15, 2011 8:24 AM (in response to ckahn)
    At some point yesterday the brightness control stopped working on this 32-bit Windows 7 install. System Restore won't bring me back far enough to restore brightness control. I suppose I could uninstall updates one-by-one until it starts working again.

http://www.quora.com/When-is-the-next-Boot-Camp-Software-Update-for-Windows-64-b it-expected-to-be-released
    Mar 15, 2011 9:55 AM (in response to ckahn)
    This is tedious. Is there an automated way to do this? Will this even work?

1. uninstall an update
    2. test the brightness
    3. go back to step 1.

Now rebooting after uninstalling KB975560...

Message was edited by: ckahn
    Mar 15, 2011 1:19 PM (in response to ckahn)
    I've uninstalled all Windows updates installed yesterday except for kb976902 and a silverlight update -- neither of which seem to be uninstall-able. Brightness control still don't work. Ugh.
  • zacaropolis Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Mar 15, 2011 1:35 PM (in response to pwhe23)
    I've got the same problem on my 2011 15" MBP. Just installed Win7 x64 w/SP1 and can't adjust the brightness.

The brightness control on my 2009 MBP works perfectly on Win7 x86, at the same patch level.

I would hate to have to run x86 and waste all the extra RAM in this computer.
    2011 15" MBP, Windows 7
  • thatguy09 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Mar 16, 2011 11:03 PM (in response to zacaropolis)
    Same here, Win 7 x64 on MBP 2011 15". Brightness worked after first boot, then after Windows Updates, stopped. Keyboard and volume controls still work.
    15" MacBook Pro (Winter 2011), Windows 7
1 2 3 ... 10 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.