Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay stops when iPhone sleeps

When I tried to use AirPlay from an iPhone 3GS to my Apple TV, all was working well until the iPhone screen locked ( slept ) then the video would pause on the Apple TV.
This is annoying.

Is there anyway to prevent this without having to adjust the screen lock timeout on the iPhone?

iPhone 3GS, iOS 4, 2nd Gen Apple TV

Posted on Dec 5, 2010 2:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2013 4:13 PM

Turn Auto-Lock to off. Then it won't interrupt the movie.

I just had to reset my router due to a connection problem.

And that's when my iPhone Auto-lock started interrupting my video feed. Prior to reset, it was working fine all day.

I believe it's being picky about the order in which you start your devices.

It may be because I didn't reset Apple TV right after I reset my router.

It's definitely something to do with the order in which your devices are powered up.

I was using Aereo to watch TV all day with iPhone 4S and Apple TV, with no problem.

As soon as I powered up the router, my iPhone settings took presidency over the Apple TV 2.

This info should help you resolve the problem.

Meanwhile just change auto-lock to never, to watch an uninterrupted stream.

49 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2013 4:13 PM in response to Stephen Finlay

Turn Auto-Lock to off. Then it won't interrupt the movie.

I just had to reset my router due to a connection problem.

And that's when my iPhone Auto-lock started interrupting my video feed. Prior to reset, it was working fine all day.

I believe it's being picky about the order in which you start your devices.

It may be because I didn't reset Apple TV right after I reset my router.

It's definitely something to do with the order in which your devices are powered up.

I was using Aereo to watch TV all day with iPhone 4S and Apple TV, with no problem.

As soon as I powered up the router, my iPhone settings took presidency over the Apple TV 2.

This info should help you resolve the problem.

Meanwhile just change auto-lock to never, to watch an uninterrupted stream.

Jan 23, 2011 3:32 AM in response to Stephen Finlay

The mp3/m4a still plays (audible) when my iPhone 4 goes to to sleep/ screen locks. But: still the music mutes after some time, sometimes it's just 2 minutes sometimes 6 or more. the track's time elapses but not sound can be heard. I noticed that before the audio mutes, the player's slider starts skipping and after about 3 skips the audio is muted, but the slider still progresses. Happens w/ iOS version 4.2.1 and AE version 7.5.2. Posted workaround (disable device lock) didn't work. For the time being (till iOS 4.3) the only thing that works is using a dock and connect it to AE...

Mar 10, 2011 1:05 AM in response to sid++

Hi, I discovered something new, hope it's not a coincidence...
I use my iPhone as development device, i.e. in Organizer I clicked on "Use for development". Today, I restored my iPhone from an earlier backup, but didn't connect it w/ Xcode, yet. And now all AirPlay issues are gone - is that coincidence or do I screw AirPlay when I check "Use for development" in Organizer?

TIA, JC

Nov 13, 2011 10:26 AM in response to Stephen Finlay

I definitely have the same issue with my iPhone 4. I airplay video from my Videos app, from YouTube or from Vevo to my Apple TV and it stops as soon as the auto lock kicks in. I know 100% it did not do this before the iOS 5 update. What gives? This pretty much renders this feature useless if it shuts off after auto lock. I don't want to have to switch the auto lock feature every time I want to airplay something, and I don't want to have to retore my phone to something before iOS 5, as I appreciate the update besides this. In general I love my Apple products, but it makes me rethink all my Apple purchases whenever I get these stupid little technical issues that come up and it's like pulling teeth trying to get a solution. Get your **** together.

Nov 24, 2011 3:15 PM in response to jottos

I too have all my devices (iPhone 4, 4S, iPad, & appleTV 2nd gen) updated, however, after the iOS 5 update, once the iPhones or the iPad go to sleep the appleTV gets disconnected. It is something in the iOS5 since the problem started before I updated the appleTV.

Can apple do something about this? Maybe an update to make AirPlay independent...

Airplay stops when iPhone sleeps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.