Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 4 won't hang up

I recently updated to 4.2 and now I can't hang up at the end of a call half the time. I press the end button and nothing happens. It isn't all the time.

I Mac 2.16Ghz Intel core Duo, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Dec 8, 2010 12:02 PM

50 replies

Jan 18, 2011 11:30 AM in response to andrewsorlie

Anyone have luck with this issue. I've had a 3G, 3GS and now the 4, never had this problem myself. When I got my iPhone 4, I gave my wife my old 3GS. A month or so later she started to complain about this issue. (Back story is I just put her sim into the phone and disabled data because she said she would never use it. So AT&T wasn't involved in any account changes, that is until they found out what phone she was using 🙂 I had the 3GS on 3.1.3 and decided to update it to 4.1 to see if that would eliminate the problem. No go, a day or two later it was doing the same thing. Not a big deal, it was a week before Christmas and I planned on getting her a new iPhone. Got the new iPhone from the AT&T store, brought it home and synced back all her data. About a week later she said she was having the same issue again. At this point I'm a little confounded. It's a totally separate device and sim card. This time the line was setup by AT&T.

I tried doing a full restore and then re-synching her data, as well as a full restore as a new phone without synching anything. Last weekend we finally took it back to Apple for a replacement. The “genius” was just as perplexed as I was, said it was more likely a software issue than a hardware issue but would replace the phone since I had already tried his recommendations. We got home and her phone would no longer place calls or send SMS’s. Check the settings and her phone was not even connected to the network. Ran out to the AT&T store and got the sim replaced. So now we are back to a brand new device with only her contacts synched. The phone was fine Sunday, but come Monday the problem started all over again. She hit’s the End button and the call doesn’t. If she tries to receive an incoming call while on a call, she can’t. She also said that during an automated system call she was unable to get the number pad to show.

Any thoughts or suggestions. At this point it’s either her contacts screwing up the OS, or AT&T screwed up the service setup causing some phone issues (I’ve had this in the past with other phones)

Feb 5, 2011 11:38 AM in response to gbaror

Iam on my third replacement and after updating each one of them it has this issue. If I do not update. No issue. I called Apple support yesterday and they had me do a bunch of diagnistics with them on the phone. They then transfered me to a senior adviser..He had me do more test. The phone replicated the no hang up issue with him on the line. He told me to try and hang up and it would not.They are sending my test results and files that I emailed to them, to the engineering department.They are calling me back on Monday. I will post when they let me know what they found out.

Apr 6, 2011 8:18 AM in response to J Hensel

I've been having this problem since the last iOS. Many things seem to have gotten worse with 4.3, but this issue is particularly frustrating. It only occurs on calls initiated by me. If I receive a call, then I have no problem hanging up.

As a fix, I've found that if I press "keypad" first and then "End", I'm able to hang up without a problem. Hope this helps someone out there.

Iphone 4 won't hang up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.