Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

There are two HP ENVY 100 Printers

Beware. There are two HP ENVY 100 D410 printer, an "a" and a "b". I purchased
an ENVY 100 D410 from Best Buy where they sell only the 410b but do not indi
cate it is a 410b. I purchased the ENVY because it is listed as one of the printers that Apple supports for AIPPRINT. Unfortunately only the 410a is listed on the supported printer list.

When I try to print from my iPad the 410b printer is recognized as a printer on the network but the item to be printed is not sent to the printer. Hopefully Apple will eventually support the 410b ENVY printer. In the meantime I have a beautiful printer that won't print from my iPad.

I'd be curious to hear if anyone else has been similarly impacted.

Toshiba, Windows 7

Posted on Dec 9, 2010 4:51 AM

28 replies

Dec 9, 2010 10:41 AM in response to RichardM10

Richard-

Someone here claimed the "a" and "b" were the same printer but sold by different stores so they wouldn't have to price match. Otherwise I would have assumed the "b" was just a slightly newer version.

In the printer setup process, there is an option to update the printer's firmware. That may be all that is needed to correct your problem. If your D410 works like my D110, you can press the light beside the wrench to get to the Tools menu. Then select Preferences, step down to product updates and press OK. Assuming the printer has network access, it will search for any available updates.

Fred

Dec 9, 2010 2:11 PM in response to igmackenzie

The Envy should work out of the box, but there are updates available for the Envy. The a or b versions are simple minor variations done for specific retailers, not significant differences. All Envy's (D410's) at the moment have the same firmware version and same capabilities.

If you're not working after updating to the latest version of firmware (Tools->Web->Automatic Updates->Check for Product Updates), and you are sure you have network connectivity (the Apps on the Printer load content), and your Printer and iOS device are on the same network, then power cycle your Router, Printer, and iOS device.

If you're still having problems, post back what kind of router you have, how your wireless network is setup, and how your printer is connected to your network, and we'll see what we can do.

Just trying to help.

Andrew

Dec 12, 2010 3:17 PM in response to RichardM10

It's three days since I posted my ENVY caution message. Since then I installed all the printer upgrades and I am able to print from my iPad to my ENVY 100 D410b.

It turns out that there are 4 versions of the D410a: CN517A,B,C and CN518A and 2 versions of the D410b: CN519A and B. By versions I mean they have different product numbers. I do not know what differentiates the 6 printers but it would be nice if Apple provided some clarifying information and stated that AIRPRINT is supported on all D410 printers.

Dec 27, 2010 12:52 PM in response to RichardM10

Could someone please tell me if it is possible to print to the HP Envy 100 D410b model via Airprint? I thought that maybe it was just the D410b model so I went and purchased the D410a and it still does not work. I've tried everything. Both of the printers are showing that they are on the network. I have tried unplugging the router, printer and iPad and that still did not work. I continue to recieve an error message stating that there is "no printer found." Please let me know if anyone has been successful with this model or if I need to get another HP printer? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Dec 27, 2010 1:09 PM in response to Kodiak Bear

All HP Envy 100 D410 models should support AirPrint just fine. First, make sure you are running the latest version of the firmware on your device. In ordered to check, first make sure your device has network connectivity by loading one of the Apps on the Printer and see that it gets some content. Then, on the front panel of the Printer going to:

Tools->Web->Automatic Updates->Check for Product Updates.

Assuming that the firmware is up to date, and that you have power cycled everything (your Router, Printer, and iOS device), if you are still having problems, it is probably with your Router. Post back the details on the brand of router and how you have your wireless network configured, and we'll see what we can do to help you work through things. Also note, if you have a 3G iPad, it must be on the same network as the Printer (ie not connected to 3G at the time) for printing to work.

Just trying to help.

Andrew

Dec 29, 2010 10:49 AM in response to Kodiak Bear

Kodiak Bear,

Digging a bit finds similar issues with the WRT110, it works for a short time after rebooting the router then stops working again. I've found that with the 610 some people are reporting one version older then the current version works (don't know if the same is the case on the 110. and that recommendation was almost a year old), or that installing DD-WRT also works (but I don't see the 110 as being supported by that firmware).

Just trying to help.

Andrew

Dec 29, 2010 9:43 PM in response to HP Mac Architect

HP Mac Architect,

I just setup my new HP c410a Printer and I'm having intermittent airprint connection problems from my iPhone 4. One second it finds the printer and I can successfully print to it and the next second i get "no printers found". My network uses a linksys wrt610n router version 1. Any insights/suggestions you can provide would be much appreciated. Thanks.

JB

There are two HP ENVY 100 Printers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.