Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Select Apps to appear in 'Open In'

It appears that iPad limits only 10 apps to appear in the 'Open In' menus (e.g., the menu in the mail client). Is there any way of selecting which apps will appear here? E.g., I used to be able to see GoodReader as one of the options, but now it is gone and cannot find a way of getting it back in that menu.

iPad 3G 64G, iOS 4

Posted on Dec 11, 2010 7:42 AM

33 replies

Dec 11, 2010 8:57 AM in response to ozdazza

If GoodReader no longer shows up anywhere then it's that app with issues. If it's more an issue of no longer showing up on 'full' lists then a whole range of things come to mind:

1. Does changing orientation make any difference?
2. Have you tried to scroll the list?
3. if the list is FIFO, try deleting seldom-used apps to see if that makes desired ones re-appear.
4. Try deleting and re-installing GoodReader itself.
5. Consider submitting feedback to request better handling of this in iOS.

Dec 12, 2010 1:43 AM in response to Michael Morgan1

Hello Michael

Thank you for your hints! 🙂 You are really helpful.

This is what I tried and what happened:
1. Changing orientation did not make any difference.
2. I scrolled the 'Open In' list and GoodReader did not appear.
3. When I deleted one app, GoodReader appeared in the list! 🙂 However, when I re-installed that same app, GoodReader disappeared from the list again. 😟
4. I tried deleting and re-installing GoodReader itself, but it still did not appear in the list.
5. I will now have to submit feedback to to Apple.

Is there anyone else that has a similar problem, or am I a one-off case? GoodReader's own support FAQ lists this issue, so other's must be experiencing a similar problem. The developer at GoodReader states that this is an iOS4 issue and that only Apple can fix things. Here is a link to GoodReader's page where it states this:

http://www.goodiware.com/gr-man-trouble.html#notinopenin

If others could post to this discussion that they have the same problem, I will point this out to Apple in the feedback.

Lastly, I have tried to find a feedback page to report this issue, but have only found one for issues about using the support website. There is "Express Lane", but that is only for US telephone numbers. I am in Tokyo and Apple Japan do not have this "Express Lane" service. Any pointers to a website link?

Darren

Darren McDonald
Tokyo

Dec 31, 2010 10:00 AM in response to ozdazza

ozdazza wrote:

Lastly, I have tried to find a feedback page to report this issue, but have only found one for issues about using the support website. There is "Express Lane", but that is only for US telephone numbers. I am in Tokyo and Apple Japan do not have this "Express Lane" service. Any pointers to a website link?

FEEDBACK

If you wish to raise issues with or suggest changes to Apple, then you need to talk to them directly. These forums, strictly user-user and for technical support issues, are not an avenue for that. Use the feedback forms set up for the various hardware and software packages:

Feedback area of Apple Support: http://www.apple.com/feedback
iPad Feedback Form: http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Jan 23, 2012 2:35 PM in response to ozdazza

As a developer of iOS apps, I can confirm this bug in iOS. It affects all iOS versions upto 5.0.1. I have many apps that can manipulate PDF files, but many of my customers complain that my app doesn't show up in the list of apps. Half of the support calls I get are for this problem and the only resolution is to start deleting apps that do show up until mine does. I don't know why Apple has this limit of 10 apps, but it is bad both for developers and users. I have filed a bug report to Apple regarding this, but it hasn't been resolved yet. Hopefully Apple will fix this in the 5.1 release.

Jan 28, 2012 4:34 PM in response to ozdazza

I believe the problem may be caused by iBooks. I was having the same problem with both my iPhone and iPod Touch. I deleted iBooks and suddenly all my other PDF-related apps reappeared on the Open In list. I now have a choice of 22 apps on my Touch and 17 on my iPhone. Fortunately, I wasn't really using iBooks, so removing it from my devices has been no problem. I am curious to know if anyone else has the same experience.

Feb 2, 2012 4:54 AM in response to Glorfinniel

Interesting, I have the opposite problem. I've been trying to open up a document xxxxx.ibooks which is a comics collection converted to ibooks form by the author and put up as a download on his website with the intent of a trial run to get feedback on publishing for the ipad. So it's not available in the store.

However, if I try to download it, it will only open up in the dropbox app. Similarly, once in dropbox, it complains that there are no apps available for opening this title, although it will open it up as if it were an ascii file (not much use!). I wonder if deleting ibooks and re-installing it may get around this?

Feb 3, 2012 11:21 PM in response to ozdazza

This has absolutely driven me crazy for the two years that I owned a iPad and iPhone. I use my IOS devices regularly for business and personal use and I have hundreds of apps on both devices. Probably cllose to 500 or 600 apps. It is a nightmare to get the app that I want to show up in the "Open In" list and this is an inexcusable, ridiculous flaw in IOS. I can't believe that Apple has been unwilling or unable to fix this. They can't be unaware of it so it must be one of the former reasons.

At any one time, I have dozens of apps that work with PDF's, video files, Word Documents, etc. and the majority of time I don't have the app that I want in the list of 10 apps. It is ridiculous to have to delete apps until the app I need shows up. Many time I use the apps in the list for other functions and I have to keep deleting apps and pray until the app I want shows up eventually. Then I have to add them all back and reset them up the way I want them and hope that my files can be resynched back into the deleted apps.

This raises my blood pressure every time I have to deal with this or even think about it. Apple, there has to be a better way. Please fix this. If you want the iPad and iPhone to be taken seriously in business, and I'm pretty sure you do, then this flaw must be fixed.

Does anyone have a better workaround than deleting apps, until gets their head out their butt?

Feb 8, 2012 1:18 AM in response to ozdazza

Hi all

I now have the same problem with the "open in" functionality. Have for months been using the "open in" functionality on my iPad to I.e. open files and store them in Dropbox or open in File Browser and store them on my Synology NAS. It have been working great but now I suddently only have the option to "open in Buzz Player". There is an option to select "open in Buzz player" or just "open in" but whenever I select "open in" for selecting the right program afterwards nothing happens. (and Buzz player isn't a newly installed program. The open in functionality has worked fine with all these programs installed earlier).

I hope Apple soon will either fix this bug or at least give the user the possibility to modify manually what program you want to open certain file types in. Very annoying and very unprofessional. The way the iDevices are locked down it makes it totally impossible to use the iPad in professional manner if you are not able to use the open in functionality to open files in the appropriate programs.

So Apple - please fix ASAP.

Select Apps to appear in 'Open In'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.