Skip navigation

MacBook Air Memory upgrade

226133 Views 66 Replies Latest reply: Jul 16, 2012 5:43 AM by Nemedian RSS
1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next
Photolau Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Dec 15, 2010 12:35 AM
Can I upgrade my MacBook Air Ram from 2G to 4G after I purchase 2G Ram ?
MacBook Air 11", Mac OS X (10.6.5)
  • Niel Level 10 Level 10 (234,365 points)
    Dec 15, 2010 12:42 AM (in response to Photolau)
    No. That computer's RAM is soldered to the motherboard and not upgradable.

(55500)
    iMac Late 2007 Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.5)
  • zenpicker Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Dec 18, 2010 9:08 PM (in response to Niel)
    REALLY???

Good lord. If that had been explained to me when I bought the machine (or indicated somehow on the Apple site...), I would have bought the 4 gb model. I've never heard of such a thing. Apple wanted $100+ to add 2 gb and on the secondary market I knew I could buy the chips for $40, so I said no thanks.

Are you absolutely sure? How disappointing if so.
    MacBook Air 13", Mac OS X (10.5.6)
  • Flowerling Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Dec 18, 2010 10:11 PM (in response to zenpicker)
    Yep, it's not possible to upgrade the RAM anymore. The people at Best Buy told me they could upgrade the RAM for me too at their store if I wanted them to, but after doing some research I learned you really have to get the RAM upgrade when you initially order your computer.

Message was edited by: Flowerling
    MacBook Air 13" Model, 1.8 GHz, 4GB RAM, 128 GB flash storage, Mac OS X (10.6.5)
  • carl wolf Level 6 Level 6 (13,900 points)
    Dec 19, 2010 2:34 AM (in response to Photolau)
    "The people at Best Buy told me they could upgrade the RAM for me too at their store if I wanted them to..."

It's hard to believe that they'd offer to do that, as it would likely void your warranty. The memory devices are surface-mounted QFP which need to be aligned within a couple-ten thousandths of a inch, and uses silver solder paste and IR reflow to secure them.
    I met Bill Clinton on the set of a new movie. Woohoo!
  • dbs Level 2 Level 2 (155 points)
    Dec 19, 2010 7:39 AM (in response to zenpicker)
    RAM on the MBA has NEVER been user-upgradeable.

It wouldn't have taken much research, e.g. a quick trip to this forum, to learn that.
    13" MBA v3.2 maxed out, 20" iMac G5, 15" MBP Santa Rosa, iPhone 8GB, Mac OS X (10.6.5)
    Dec 19, 2010 8:36 AM (in response to dbs)
    @dbs Well, I now feel properly chastised for failing to research a question that would never have occurred to most people, I truly believe. I've upgraded the RAM on many computers, including laptops. It's not exactly an exotic thing.

Thanks for the snarky scolding.
    MacBook Pro 15", Mac OS X (10.5.6)
  • Tony T1 Level 6 Level 6 (8,115 points)
    Dec 19, 2010 8:42 AM (in response to zenpicker)
    zenpicker wrote:
    Are you absolutely sure? How disappointing if so.

If you purchased within 14 days, I think you can return it for a 4g model.
    MacBook Air / MacBook / Mac mini /, Mac OS X (10.6.5), / Windows xp (Boot Camp)
    Dec 19, 2010 9:26 AM (in response to Tony T1)
    @Tony Thanks, but I'm out of that window, unfortunately. Guess I'll have to live with the limitation.
    MacBook Pro 15", Mac OS X (10.5.6)
  • dbs Level 2 Level 2 (155 points)
    Dec 20, 2010 1:54 PM (in response to zenpicker)
    Sorry if you feel abused.

The MacBook Air series has been around for nearly three years. In that time (a) RAM has never been user-upgradeable and (b) many Mac forums have had many, many threads talking (complaining) about being limited to 2GB of RAM and asking about possible upgrade alternatives (ie that there are none).

You tried to blame your lack of pre-purchase research on the sales people; I simply commented that sometimes people need to take responsibility for their own purchase decisions.
    13" MBA v3.2 maxed out, 20" iMac G5, 15" MBP Santa Rosa, iPhone 8GB, Mac OS X (10.6.5)
  • hawleyrw Level 3 Level 3 (625 points)
    Dec 20, 2010 5:26 PM (in response to dbs)
    I did the research and quickly found that they were built in the specific models. I wanted to buy local but since I wanted a 4G model, had to buy direct from Apple (which is never a bad experience). In that, unless you do a lot of heavy computing, 2G should be enough for just about anyone using their MBA for normal use. If you plan on using something like Aperture, or Final Cut Pro...another story.

Hoping you're within that 14 day window, if not.
    iPad WiFi/3G 64G, MBA 13" (2010), Mac OS X (10.6.5)
  • DrSagacity Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Jan 30, 2011 1:29 PM (in response to hawleyrw)
    I had the exact same experience. Sorry, I too didn't do the research first, but for a 2-3 year purchase, it's not a big deal. Just disappointing because I always heard how "well thought out" Mac is supposed to be. . .uh, soldered memory on a $1300 laptop. . .really?

On the other hand. . .I love this device and it works perfectly for what I am doing. Now that I am into the Mac ecosystem, I will know better for the next Mac purchase.
    MacBook Air, Windows 7, OSX is now the secondary OS.
  • slyguy_28 Level 2 Level 2 (165 points)
    Jan 30, 2011 6:53 PM (in response to Photolau)
    I bought the 2GB RAM also. From what I've been told, the DDR3 RAM is a little faster than the older generation DDR2 RAM. It will be more than enough for what I do. Besides, I didn't want to wait to have it built and delivered...
    Sly
    iOS 4, iPhone 4, iPad 16GB wifi
  • Michael Black Level 6 Level 6 (17,835 points)
    Jan 31, 2011 8:17 AM (in response to DrSagacity)
    DrSagacity wrote:
    uh, soldered memory on a $1300 laptop. . .really?

No offense, but what does the price have to do with it? This is a device that, at it's thickest, is less than 3/4 of an inch. To pack a logicboard with gpu chipset, RAM, FlashRAM mass storage and a decent sized battery in there, how on earth were they supposed to squeeze in regular SODIMM slots as well? Seriously, just looking at and holding the thing, I would have been astonished it it HAD included user serviceable RAM slots since I would not have been able to figure out where they could be or how they'd crammed them in there.

You are paying for a light and sleek laptop, not a standard chassis full featured one.

It is a new way of thinking, with purely solid state devices like the MBA and tablets and such, but these devices really do ring in the era when an upgrade does indeed mean a replacement.
    2.53GHz MBPro unibody, iPhone 3GS, Mac OS X (10.6.6)
1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.