1 2 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply: May 29, 2014 5:15 PM by andykoom
Hilary001 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Hi, a couple of days ago this just suddenly happened where my email account on my iphone 4 keeps re-downloading already read messages when I open the app. It will even happen when I am in the middle of checking email. It is so bad that I am now starting to worry that there might be something wrong with my phone. I only purchased it in August of this year. Does anyone have any idea why this is suddenly occurring? Thanks

iphone 4, iOS 4
  • 1. Re: email keeps re-downloading
    Ingo2711 Level 6 Level 6 (17,095 points)
    Welcome to the discussions,
    did you already reset the phone by holding the sleep and home button until the Apple logo comes up again?
    If this does not help, check the your mail account settings to see the options for deleting downloaded messages. If this does not help, delete your account on the phone and set it up again.
  • 2. Re: email keeps re-downloading
    Hilary001 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I just reset my phone, and that didn't work either. I had already deleted my mail account before doing this, and then just set it up again, and the problem still persists.
  • 3. Re: email keeps re-downloading
    Grinchus Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Same on my iPhone 3G iOS 4.2.1! Since December 16 it started to re-download my email everytime I open my mail app! I deleted my account, restated my phone but the problem persists! It's annoying!
    What happened?
  • 4. Re: email keeps re-downloading
    voula_72 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Has anyone had any resolution with this? I've tried absolutely everything & it's still just re-downloading messages over & over again. I'm using a 3Gs on 4.2.1 and it just started doing it tonight.

Anyone?
  • 5. Re: email keeps re-downloading
    Barry Porter1 Level 2 Level 2 (330 points)
    who is your email provider? is it an imap or pop account?
  • 6. Re: email keeps re-downloading
    betty_taylor Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Just wanted to add: I have the same problem. It is erratic, happens for a day or two and then not for a few months. I have several email accounts (all POP, different providers) that all download to the iPhone (3G, 4.2.1).

I delete most email daily from the inboxes. Periodically I go into accounts and empty the email trash. Yesterday I emptied the email trash for each account. Today I had every email from as long as a month ago download again (with a link at the bottom to 'download more messages'. Arrrgh!
  • 7. Re: email keeps re-downloading
    voula_72 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    It's a Yahoo account. I've not had any issues since I got the phone over a year ago. This just started happening yesterday. I've deleted the account & reinstalled it, done a hard reset, even did a factory restore - still nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • 8. Re: email keeps re-downloading
    Barry Porter1 Level 2 Level 2 (330 points)
    in mail, in settings there is a checkbox to keep mail on server. Unless you log on to the server, usually via a website, and delete your mail from the server, it will keep appearing. and don't forget to delete the trsh on the server I had a client with 7,000 pieces of email on the server that kept appearing until they logged on to yahoo and deleted them.
  • 9. Re: email keeps re-downloading
    pmp6668 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I do not have this option in my mail settings, I wish I did though. I want my iPhone to delete from server when downloading.
  • 10. Re: email keeps re-downloading
    kgkii Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Has anyone found an answer to this? It happens to me mostly when I am traveling and could happen in the middle of me reading an email. It starts downloading all of the emails again. It is extremely annoying and I cannot find a solution.

I am getting my email from an exchange server and would greatly appreciate any help on this.

Thanks
  • 11. Re: email keeps re-downloading
    MaitreMind Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    It's amazing after three months there is no satisfactory resolution. Yesterday I deleted the same 25 emails 7 times - an absolute waste of time and extremely frustrating!

The "feeling" is like getting 25 telemarketers calling you and you tell them to take you off their list, yet the same 25 telemarketer's call you again 6 more times throughout the day.
  • 12. Re: email keeps re-downloading
    bige420 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    My Iphone4 is doing it as well... I use exchange with gmail and it wants to redownload the 5000+ messages all the time... I switched to only synch the last month instead of no limit just so i dont have to deal with it....
  • 13. Re: email keeps re-downloading
    MichaelC2707 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Am having this problem as well. Appeared on my 3GS after: a) I tried to install 4.3; b) got an error; c) had to restore the phone (with 4.3). Ever since, my email inbox fills up immediately with the last 50 messages from the server. If I delete them from the phone, it immediately downloads the prior 50. I really don't want to delete all the old emails from the server, but I'll probably have to.
  • 14. Re: email keeps re-downloading
    bossfan Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    Here's something that seems to help (I have a POP account). When I delete my email, I then hit the reload/refresh (circle with an arrow) button. I've been doing that all day today and haven't gotten any duplicates, whereas yesterday I got the same group of emails four times.
1 2 Previous Next