Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GH2 rw2 Aperture preprocessing CRUSHED & Green

Forgive my ignorance and I know someone else has posted something to the like already, but when I try to import rw2's from my GH2, not only are they green but they are intensely "corrected" already and no where near the original RAW.

its funny, if you initially click on the file very quickly before Aperture has a chance to finish "Processing" you can see the actual RAW.

I've only worked with a 5d mark ii in Aperture and never had this shift after processing happen. What is Aperture doing here? Shouldn't we be able to have it not do any pre-processing so we have access to the actual RAW?

For now, its completely unusable and I have no way to get the original latitude back.

thanks for your help!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Dec 21, 2010 7:32 AM

24 replies

Dec 21, 2010 11:12 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Sorry, i haven't updated my profile since probably 2003. Everything is current. 10.6.5, Aperture 3.1.1, newest RAW update which addressed this camera specifically, Nehalem Mac Pro. Its the brand new, just release Panasonic GH2, sequel to the GH1. Someone else on here has mentioned the same problem, i just also noticed it shifting the look quite a bit too.

I'm wondering if the RAW file needs to tweaked to think its a dif camera for now until they get a better update. Perhaps with the camera being so incredibly new, they build profiles that don't reflect actual usage with the camera.

Dec 22, 2010 9:27 PM in response to Nicholas Kleczewski

Same here, GH2 arrived today. I checked RAW files from another camera to ensure that I didn't have some odd setting in Aperture. Negatory, it's just this combination: latest Aperture, Mac Pro early 2008, Nvidia GTX 285, OS 10.6.5. All RAW files come out looking like they've been put through a Cross Process filter; the OP's description is just right: crushed, deep green. There's also a vignette covering the lower 180 degrees and a bit of a blur, it seems.

Dec 22, 2010 11:43 PM in response to Nicholas Kleczewski

Update from post above: thinking I'd remove a few variables, I tried a few RAW shots with different lenses, including a Zeiss on an adapter ring. Also opened the same RAW files in PS CS5. Results: the same odd effect, whatever I feed Aperture, to the same degree; nothing in Photoshop, the files are clean. This isn't subtle—it looks like an overdone effect. Thanks for the jpeg note above.

Dec 29, 2010 9:13 AM in response to Walkowiak

I have the exact same problem. Preview of photo's look good (both Aperature & in camera), but opening the full RAW goes all dark. Once I've opened the RAW even once in Aperature, even the Aperature previews go bad. Overloaded Greens also look especially horrific, which aren't present when I look at the photo's in my GH2.

Luckily, I haven't deleted the RAW's from my card and they still look fine in camera.

Jan 6, 2011 8:43 PM in response to eww

eww,
If you're talking about the RAW Compatibility Update 3.5 released a few weeks ago that ostensibly handles the GH2, that doesn't work.

Other people on this thread mentioned that all their software is current, and I've run update at least twice in the last week. But my RAW files are greenish and very dark, despite clear and beautiful corresponding jpgs.

BTW, this problem shows up in Picasa, as well as in iPhoto and Aperture, so I'm assuming it is an OS level problem.

GH2 rw2 Aperture preprocessing CRUSHED & Green

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.