Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why Do I Have To Render EVERYTHING In FCE

I am brand new to Mac and FCE and i just switched from my PC and Sony Vegas because I've been told a million times that Mac is the way to go for video editing, and well right now I am having major doubts. I opened my HD file that i am going to work on and i pressed play on the canvas and it said "Unrenderd". I've been searching the internet, forums, manual and i cant find an answer that helps me 100%! Can someone please explain to me what i am doing wrong.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Jan 2, 2011 7:33 PM

23 replies

Jan 3, 2011 9:58 AM in response to DerekBrackett

DerekBrackett wrote:
ok so after I change the settings will the video stay like that or will i have to do that everytime i make an edit (like add an effect, make a cut, etc..)

I assume, you miss the concept how FC/e handles any material:
the clips (a+v) have to 'fit' the setting BEFORE you import them into FC/e.

FC/e doesn't change formats - that is quite different to other editors like iMovie.

• choose a format in FC/e
• convert your material with any converter you like
• 'import' to FC/e
=> no rendering on 'edit', aside you add complex compositings, effects etc.

Jan 3, 2011 10:50 AM in response to DerekBrackett

DerekBrackett wrote:
... But why is it like that? ..

consumer = convenience
You don't have to think about codecs, sampling rates, aspect ratio with iMovie - any 'fidget pictures' get converted. plug'n play.

A Pro would never use as highly-compressed material as h.264, which is made for playback. most of those playback-codecs don't store every frame, just 'differences' - for editing with frame-precision, the computer has to estimate content .... whooo, here goes quality. you can edit h.264, but that needs with the actual architecture of Quicktime a lot of computing(-power). if FC/QT/... would use the GPU for additional computation ...

the actual FC/e is intended for editing a few, 'better' codecs, no 'does edit all'-tool. -

Jan 3, 2011 10:54 AM in response to DerekBrackett

Hi -
Because it is more advanced, it is expecting a more advanced user, a user with knowledge of the correct workflow.

iMovie and Windows Movie Maker are anticipating users with no knowledge of the properties of video. They mask as much of the technical side of the process from the user as possible. They also makes assumptions of what the user wants to have happen as opposed to letting the user decide. The trade off to this is that you lose control over a lot of the process. But you don't have to know anything to look like "Ken Burns".

Sony Vegas is doing on the fly conversion for the display while editing. It certainly is a viable alternative to FCE if you are PC based, and are comfortable with the interface.

MtD

Jan 3, 2011 6:42 PM in response to DerekBrackett

FCE isn't Vegas. Vegas actually does a good job working with a variety of codecs but unfortunately, FCE doesn't work like that.

FCE works natively (native = no rendering) with two codecs: DV and AIC. You can ingest AVCHD and HDV, but those two get converted to AIC on ingest. As for audio codecs, ,FCE works with AIFF at either of these settings: 48khz, 16 bit or 32khz at 12 bits.

Do not use audio files from CDs without first converting them to AIFF 48khz, 16 bit. Same goes with MP3 files.

All of this basic information is included in the FCE user's manual and help files.

-DH

Jan 3, 2011 6:48 PM in response to DerekBrackett

Remember that FCE is non-destructive. That is, it never alters your original media. When you add a filter or effect, FCE must render each frame of video with the filter or effect applied. Depending on the speed of your Mac, many of these can be played back in real time. If not, the computer must render the frames before they can be played back. Audio should be AIF files at the same sample rate as your FCE Sequence to avoid needing to render audio.

You can avoid some rendering operations as you work by selecting Unlimited RT in the box at the top left of the Timeline window.

Why Do I Have To Render EVERYTHING In FCE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.