Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch screen going crazy

For the past few weeks, the touch screen goes crazy as if an invisible finger is touching the screen in random locations. This happens regardless of if I am holding the iPad in my hand or not. I could be reading a web page and having the opah on the desk and in random it happens.
I am not using any screen protector and there are no scratches on the screen.
The iPad goes in this mode in random and it is not linked to any specific application.

The way to get it out of this mode is to hit the power button once and then unlock the screen.

Does anybody else have this issue?
Any solution to this?
Is my ipad broken?

Thanks
Sam

iPad 64GB, iOS 4, Touch screen operation

Posted on Jan 5, 2011 4:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2015 11:53 PM

12) go to settings and switch off Bluetooth. turn off Multitasking gestures. select keyboard and turn off split keyboard. turn off the following too; auto correction, auto capitilisation,check spelling and shortcut.

that's it, ipad should now be problem free.

53 replies

Jan 5, 2011 9:51 AM in response to Ralph Landry1

Thank you for your reply. As I said in my original post. Once the iPad gets in that mode I can easily resolve it by pushing the power button to lock the sreen and then unlock and resume.
My concern is that my iPad did not use to behave this way before andbnow it is.

I want to understand the possible source of the issue and if it can be resolved. I came across one other posting that had the same problem.

Thanks
Sam

Mar 24, 2017 2:46 AM in response to bubblejar

I think you may be on to something with your "static" theory. I do have mine plugged into a surge protector (in fact the surge protector has its own USB charging ports, which I use), but the charging cable was lying across my bed, so the potential for a static charge running through the cable is definitely there.

I unplugged and restarted my ipad, AND I cleaned the screen (it had a LOT of fingerprints all over it, and I know from working with electricity that static charges can travel across dirty surfaces very easily). So far, so good. The screen seems to be working fine now.

Jan 29, 2017 9:55 PM in response to TiganSan

I was having the same issue, I live in an old house with old electricity, I've been using apple chargers and apple blocks to charge my phone and when plugged in I couldn't even type or do anything on my phone after trying a few things I switched the power block with another apple one, always the same, got a few more brands and always the same.. I was about to throw my phone.. But i thought I'd try one that my work gave me, I don't know if it has anything to do with it but there's a little light on it. Works well now. But even though I fixed it, I still want to know the cause so I looked into the electricity in the house, there's a ton of EMI (electro-magnetic interference) and also the voltage here is over 120v usually around 130/135 so I think that little light is using the excess and sending my phone the right current. Just a thought and my non-expert explanation. Maybe someone with more knowledge could point me right or wrong. By the way I made a whole new wiring from the electrical box to my room where i plug my phone with brand new EMI free wire. Still gives 130v but it works that's all that matters to me.

Edit: The power block from apple worked for a week or so on the new wiring. I've been using the one with the little light for about a month now and no issues have shown up and as a bonus it charges way faster in 30 mins or so, 0 to full. When it used to take over an hour.User uploaded file

Jan 5, 2011 10:17 AM in response to TiganSan

Some others have had similar problem and resolution was to replace the iPad. However, a reset, or restore from backup or a restore to factory defaults may resolve the problem if it is a software corruption problem. If it still happens after a restore to factory defaults then I would call either AppleCare or make an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store since it is likely a hardware problem.

Mar 1, 2017 10:43 AM in response to TiganSan

It seems that for the last few years (read - since they introduced the Lightning charger). It appears that when plugged in for charging purposes, the heat reacts with the touch screen and can cause phantom touches. If your screen is unlocked it can open apps, make text messages (not coherent ones, but it types) and place phone calls. You would think that several years later Apple would have a better answer to this issue. Then again, you would think they would add the Reply vs Reply All feature to text messaging so we can choose who we respond to. But apparently we keep buying the devices so they dont seem to care.

Mar 14, 2017 7:29 AM in response to TiganSan

I have been having the same issue with my iphone 5s and iphone 6 and ipad air2 right after i updated them all to the latest ios. Touch screen wont work, all i gotta do is press the lock button 2 times and then it will work, also while using my phones or ipad it gets suck a lot so i have to lock and unlock again. I do not think that it is a hardware issue more than it is a software issue. As i said i have 3 apple devices with the same problem. Hopefully apple will fix this.

Aug 5, 2017 7:00 PM in response to TiganSan

My problem was my iPad keyboard went bonkers often,

like it had a mind of its own.

I found the solution to be my iPad case the 4 corner

clips were too tight. Removed case and no problems.

Without the case on, I tried typing while applying thumb

pressure on lower corners and keyboard acted up again.

Of course I will not apply pressure anymore and hopefully

live happily ever after. Definitly a manufacturing issue.

Hope this helps.

Sep 24, 2017 2:32 AM in response to TiganSan

My original IPhone was damaged and had it replaced by Apple care not a issue. The phone then went out of warranty and started with screen not working after numerous restart I took it back and had a replacement this one seems to work fine but it started doing the same thing but this time it was going into apps sending text messages going on FB and creat things with out me even touching the phone my phone is possessed so I then too it back to Apple as usual was advice to reset the phone and start a new back up but it’s just getting worse this is what it’s doing now and Apple doesn’t even want to look at as it out of warranty I’ve never had a issue like this I don’t if I should go to the umbosman or my local council to get advise to see if the phone is fit purpose after it was replaced. And just to show you what it’s doing check this out.

Sep 24, 2017 2:53 AM in response to M.Stewart1

My original IPhone was damaged and I had it replaced by Apple Care not a issue. The phone then went out of warranty and started with the screen not working. After numerous restart I took it back to Apple and they kindly replaced the phone, this one seems to work fine. A few days later it started doing the same thing but this time it was going into apps, sending text messages, going on FB and creating things with out me even touching the phone, my phone is possessed. I then too it back to Apple as usual this was replaced as they said they couldn’t find a fault. I was given some advise advice to reset the phone and start a new back I was told that after this replacement I would not be given another phone if the fault persist. The Phone is just getting worse I hope you can see the video I have attached to this you,ll see exactly what it’s doing now and Apple just watched there hands of it they don’t even want to look at the phone as it out of warranty. I’ve never had a issue like this since I brought the first iPhone up to now. I don’t know if I should go to the authorities or my local council to get advise to see if the phone is not fit purpose when it was replaced.

Jan 5, 2011 4:24 AM in response to TiganSan

Hi Tiger San,

Try:
1. Power cycle the iPad, turn off and then back on.
2. Hard reset; hold both the sleep and home buttons until the Apple logo appears.
3. Factory restore by attaching to iTunes, but back up all information first so you can restore it.

If none of these steps work, in ascending order of course, then a visit to the Apple Retail store genius bar is in order. Not responding to these steps means a faulty touch screen.

Touch screen going crazy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.