Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Elgato - EyeTV hybrid stopped working after latest update...

Just updated the latest software on my iMac G5: mac OSX version: 10.6.6
EyeTV Hybrid: Software: Version: 3.5 (6514)

Started getting an error saying I was using a USB 1.1 port…
the iMac has all 2.0 ports (no i didn't plug it into the keyboard port).

Now message reading:
Please make sure your device is plugged in and working.

Running Set up EyeTv assistant: showing no signal & no attached device.

Using the System Profiler shows no device attached to the USB ports… I've unplugged all other USB devices and they re-show up in the profile when reconnected.

I recently added the EyeTV app for iPad…
that was working well and now it says there is no tuner attached.

any ideas? is it the latest apple update?

G5 iMac 20 2.4ghz / G4 iBook 14 1.33ghz, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jan 8, 2011 12:17 PM

25 replies

Jan 8, 2011 2:24 PM in response to Kappy

i did know that...
the downside of believing your own 'old' profile...
its in fact...an iMac Intel Core 2 Duo not G5...

anyways... i just loaded the software onto an identical machine (same spec intel)... without the latest mac update and it recognised the device instantly and after filling in all the account details it works as expected!

So i guess the EyeTV Hybrid still works...
Will try and reinstall software and see what happens.

Jan 8, 2011 6:55 PM in response to gagsy

Look to your system, then. You might try a couple of things:

1. Make a new user account. Boot into that account. Install the EyeTV software and see if it works. If it does then follow this guide to uninstall the software in your normal account:

Uninstalling Software: The Basics

Most OS X applications are completely self-contained "packages" that can be uninstalled by simply dragging the application to the Trash. Applications may create preference files that are stored in the /Home/Library/Preferences/ folder. Although they do nothing once you delete the associated application, they do take up some disk space. If you want you can look for them in the above location and delete them, too.

Some applications may install an uninstaller program that can be used to remove the application. In some cases the uninstaller may be part of the application's installer, and is invoked by clicking on a Customize button that will appear during the install process.

Some applications may install components in the /Home/Library/Applications Support/ folder. You can also check there to see if the application has created a folder. You can also delete the folder that's in the Applications Support folder. Again, they don't do anything but take up disk space once the application is trashed.

Some applications may install a startupitem or a Log In item. Startupitems are usually installed in the /Library/StartupItems/ folder and less often in the /Home/Library/StartupItems/ folder. Log In Items are set in the Accounts preferences. Open System Preferences, click on the Accounts icon, then click on the LogIn Items tab. Locate the item in the list for the application you want to remove and click on the "-" button to delete it from the list.

Some software uses startup daemons or agents that are a new feature of the OS. Look for them in /Library/LaunchAgents/ and /Library/LaunchDaemons/ or in /Home/Library/LaunchAgents/.

If an application installs any other files the best way to track them down is to do a Finder search using the application name or the developer name as the search term. Unfortunately Spotlight will not look in certain folders by default. You can modify Spotlight's behavior or use a third-party search utility, Easy Find, instead. Download Easy Find at VersionTracker or MacUpdate.

Some applications install a receipt in the /Library/Receipts/ folder. Usually with the same name as the program or the developer. The item generally has a ".pkg" extension. Be sure you also delete this item as some programs use it to determine if it's already installed.

There are many utilities that can uninstall applications. Here is a selection:
AppZapper
Automaton
Hazel
CleanApp
Yank
SuperPop
Uninstaller
Spring Cleaning

Look for them at VersionTracker or MacUpdate.

For more information visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on removing software.

You will then need to figure out what is in your normal account that is causing the problem with EyeTV. Could be corrupted preference or cache files or a third-party application or utility that you are using.

2. Install a fresh copy of OS X on another drive or USB flash drive (16 GB minimum.) Boot from it and install the EyeTV software. See if it works. If it does then consider a fresh install of OS X on your main drive.

Jan 9, 2011 8:33 AM in response to Kappy

Hi Kappy
thanks for your input...

here is my latest update...

Elgato website has an unistaller app... downloaded and ran it.
then did a fresh install.
reloaded the software and ran updates.
Warning pop upt: the Elgato device cannot be run on a 1.1 usb port:
(mac doesn't have a 1.1 usb port - no its not plugged into keyboard).
so it obviously recognised it at this point??

Started to fill in the prefs and once again its showing no device attached.

Set up a new user account:
same deal... device is not recognised.
System profile is also "not showing" the device connected.

tried resetting the PRAM

will retry the whole process again....

Jan 9, 2011 11:15 AM in response to Kappy

hey Kappy
Only using the ports on the imac.

Anyways... bit of success:
I reinstalled for the 3rd time and prior to updating the software to run on the intel version, I tried to run it... got the usb 1.1 warning... ignored it.
Couldn't get the Hybrid to be seen.
Then I did an update of software (as before)... relaunched... again with the USB 1.1 warning.. but this time it worked!
So at the moment I have a working device again.
Quitting the app and restarting doesn't give me the USB warning anymore...
so fingers crossed...

Jan 9, 2011 8:27 PM in response to gagsy

Hi there,
just stumbled upon this looking for reviews on the Hybrid 'cos I was hoping to use it to plug my old playstation consoles into my Mac. Any comments are welcome on that subject by the way.

In the meantime I might be the bearer of bad tidings. During my research I have come across a number of reviews and comments outlining your problem dating back to 2008. It is reasonably common, it would appear, for the unit to stop recognising USB2.0 ports and claim they are USB1. Various software updates have followed and none have addressed the problem, Elgato's response has varied from 'ignored', 'slow' to 'unsympathetic' but one guy got a replacement after 2 years.

It is always difficult to know how widespread these issues are because forums tend to attract the attention of people with a problem rather than those without, and I have no idea how many units Elgato have sold in the last 2 years. Here in the UK/Europe we haven't had a hardware update since 2008 but there have been two new models in the Americas. Check the Apple Store UK and Amazon websites for reviews and you will find your problem pops up a few times. Or Google 'Eyetv Hybrid problem'.

All that said, it is my hunch that the problem is hardware based. A couple of people have reported that by cooking the unit at Gas Mark 4 for a couple of minutes in the oven restores the unit to normal functionality for a while. ( I kid you not ! ) Therefore it looks like they have a manufacturing fault that has created a loose connection on a PCB or Chip inside. Just like the legendary BGA problem in the old iBooks. If there was a loss or reduction in power across a connection then it would explain why the software thinks it is no longer attached to a USB.2 port. Warming it up may 'reflow' the connection and then continual use keep it warm. Does the problem arise from a cold start ?

That's my two cents worth anyway. Perhaps if you are polite and persistent then Elgato will accept it as an issue and replace yours. If it gives up the ghost then there is no harm in trying to nuke it back into life. Someone mentioned a microwave in one post.

I'm not sure now whether it is worth the investment myself, they are expensive here. In the meantime good luck, and if anyone has a brilliant idea about how to route Playstations 1 & 2 through my Mac to my monitor ( I don't have a TV ) then I'd love to hear from them.

Cheers, L2K8

Jan 16, 2011 7:26 AM in response to gagsy

I have the same problem. Version 3.5 still has that fault though Elgato claimed update 3.1 should have fixed the problem. The only way I can solve it is, indeed and I know it sounds absurd, by putting it on a heater, warm it up till it gets quite hot and then plug it in. Now it starts as it should. Until the next reboot, after which I get that darned 1.1. message again and have to go through the above mentioned procedure again. So I think it is really a hardware problem.

Jan 16, 2011 11:07 AM in response to bearwil

I have to agree...
after yet another few times of not being recognised....
i put the hybrid on top of the radiator... then after it got warm plugged it back in...
Hey Presto it works!!!
Think the idea of sticking it in the oven is a little OTT...

so now when i want to record something when I'm out... i will schedule the central heating to come on an hour before hand... I'll of course send elgato the heating bill...

Apr 10, 2011 10:45 AM in response to gagsy

I have had this device since January. It worked for a while and has now stopped working. I sought help from Elgato support and get several days of delay between help requested and help answered. So far, help tells me LESS than this board. I believe it IS a hardware problem. The high heat of the device when it WAS working leads me to think that it eventually just burns out! I am thinking about a slingbox instead (of course, that isn't precisely a substitute, but it would provide a work-around). Are there those who have actually gotten their money back from Elgato? I am thinking $150 is kind of a lot to throw away. A slingbox will cost me a little more than that...

Yes, I have tried, deinstall, reinstall, logging to Elgato, and the RP command option hold-down for PRAM reset. Of course I have done these many times, else I wouldn't be considering asking for my money back. Yes, I could probably get a new device (EyeTV hybrid) out of them, but, based on this board, what good would that do, if it is mis-engineered?

Jun 22, 2011 5:44 AM in response to gagsy

A few months have trickled by & for the most part i just left the hybrid plugged in and running in the background.

Then i stumbled on a post... which i can't find at the moment (want to thank the guy)!!

He talked about dry solder joints and suggested heating the oven and instead of just warming up the hybrid to actually cook it to the point of the solder turning to liquid. He suggested an electric oven and a set temp.

I of course have a gas cooker and didn't really do the math.

Suffice to say I heated the oven gas mark 6... when the flames had gone low I stuck the hybrid on a piece of aluminium foil (after removing the plastic casing - it just snaps apart)... and left it sitting there for 15 minutes. i then turned off the oven and left the door open to cool down. I read its best not to touch it till its cool as it might fall apart.

It works... for the last couple of weeks i've been turning it on and off as required and it seems to not have any side effects.

If yours is broken... give it a go!

Sep 24, 2011 6:14 AM in response to gagsy

Hi,

This worked perfectly for me : my Hybrid was not working for months... or very erraticaly. I have tried every other solutions (warming up in hand, plug in/out various USB ports, changing order of other USB hardwares, reboot, software updates...) I was about to discard it, then I tried desesperately this amazing solution: remove plastic casing, 20 mn in oven at 200°C, wait half an hour for cooling, and... miracle !!

Thanks very much.

Jan 2, 2012 1:53 PM in response to beaudu

Hi,

you wonderful people, this also worked for me! My Hybrid stopped working about two years ago. I bought a new schtick and left the broken one in the drawer (I cannot throw things away that were that expensive :O). Now I forgot the new one at a friend's house and there I was reading the net for distraction only to find this thread! I baked the old piece of sh*t for 20min at 200°C and bang!

I donated the money you saved me to Wikipedia :O))

Thanks,

Klaus

Elgato - EyeTV hybrid stopped working after latest update...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.