Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keychain not saving passwords

I have run the verify and repair in first aid and everything passes. Out of frustration I reset Keychain. Now my router information is the ONLY password information showing in Keychain.

No matter how many times I click to save other passwords to Keychain when opening software, the password information does not appear in Keychain. Right now I to have to repeatedly reenter each password.

24" iMac MacBook iPad 32G 3G, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jan 11, 2011 12:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2011 12:19 PM

Keychain Access-->Run keychain first aid.
23 replies

Jan 11, 2011 1:05 PM in response to leroydouglas

Moved plist file to desktop and restarted. Shouldn't it have regenerated a new plist file in the Library/Preferences with the Restart? There is none there now. Should I put the one on my desktop back into the Preferences?

My list of passwords in keychain looks the same, nothing new has been added even though I have added new passwords upon opening different software.

I'm repeatedly asked for my "Mail" password. What's strange is if I mark to "save to keychain" it won't accept my password. If I leave the save to keychain box unchecked, then the password is temporarily accepted.

Jan 11, 2011 1:23 PM in response to Barbara Elbe

Barbara Elbe wrote:
Moved plist file to desktop and restarted. Shouldn't it have regenerated a new plist file in the Library/Preferences with the Restart? There is none there now. Should I put the one on my desktop back into the Preferences?

I would have expected it to create a new plist, if not in this case yes I would simply return it to the preferences.

I'm repeatedly asked for my "Mail" password. What's strange is if I mark to "save to keychain" it won't accept my password. If I leave the save to keychain box unchecked, then the password is temporarily accepted.

Has this problem just started after the 10.6.6 update? Did you run the Combo?

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1349

Message was edited by: leroydouglas

Using Disk Utitility to repair disk and repair permissions is always advised prior to and after a update.

Jan 11, 2011 2:18 PM in response to leroydouglas

The problem was occasional with "mail" and all the time with Safari before I upgraded to 10.6.6. I don't understand the combo reference. Was that part of the 10.6.6 upgrade or do I need to download from the link you provided and reinstall?

The real problem happened when I reset Keychain. Now even if I manually add new password information to Keychain, it will not use it and still ask for the password each time I open a program.

I ran Disk Utility and repair. Nothing changed.

Can I somehow transfer the Keychain information from my laptop to my imac. Would replacing the imac permissions folder with my good laptop folder correct the problem? Send it to myself in an email?

Jan 11, 2011 5:42 PM in response to Barbara Elbe

Barbara Elbe wrote:
The problem was occasional with "mail" and all the time with Safari before I upgraded to 10.6.6. I don't understand the combo reference. Was that part of the 10.6.6 upgrade or do I need to download from the link you provided and reinstall?

It is possible since keychain was askew that applying the the Combo would help. The Delta from the Software Update is only a partial integrated into the 10.6.5, the Combo is the entirety of the 10.6 File Size: 1.06 GB

The real problem happened when I reset Keychain. Now even if I manually add new password information to Keychain, it will not use it and still ask for the password each time I open a program.

You could restore from Time Machine backup. Keychain and associated files.

Can I somehow transfer the Keychain information from my laptop to my imac. Would replacing the imac permissions folder with my good laptop folder correct the problem?

I would not think this would be advisable.

Send it to myself in an email?

Definitely not since most email is insecure and not encrypted.

Keychain not saving passwords

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.