Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Different “Reply To” email address

I have set up a new email account specifically for use with my iPad when travelling.

However, when sending emails from this account, I would like replies to such emails from recipients to go to my main email account.

Is it possible to set a “Reply To” attribute in Mail on the iPad?

iPad 64G 3G, iOS 4, And a whole bunch of Macs since 1985!

Posted on Jan 28, 2011 9:24 PM

20 replies

Jan 29, 2011 10:01 AM in response to Jai Gill1

Is it possible to set a “Reply To” attribute in Mail on the iPad?

No it is not.
Just send the email from the account you want the reply to go to.
You can set up this new account as the default so any new emails/replies will use this address automatically. Go to Settings > Mail and you can set the Default account to use.

Just curious why you want it differently?

Jan 28, 2011 9:37 PM in response to Jai Gill1

Yes. If both accounts are set up in Mail, then all you have to do is the following:

A. Start to compose your new message, then
B. Tap the email address showing in the From section of the message. This will open to a different view, including the CC: field and so forth.
C. Now tap the From address again, which will pop a menu showing all available email addresses, including such things as MobileMe aliases, associated with all installed accounts.
D. Pick the desired address and it will be used in the From field of the message.

Jan 29, 2011 6:32 AM in response to Chris CA

Chris, the point here is that OP actually wants the reply to go to that account. And yes, i really do understand how things work.

There are only two major reasons for having and using a Reply to: header — either a) your provider doesn't allow out-of-network addresses to be used on outgoing messages, à la MobileMe and others, or b) you're trying to set up or maintain some threading theme on a particular subject.

If OP is doing b) above then he's SOL. if not, and if he merely wants to respond to some email from a different account for any reason at all, in the way that I do when (for just one example) chatting with folks responding to an ad I've put in craigslist, then this method works fine.

Finally, I could indeed have simply advised OP to " ... just send if from the other account ..." to begin with but, of course, he'd then have to type in the addresses and subject and copy over any portions of the original message that he wanted to include in his outgoing one. Somehow, my way just seems easier.

Jan 29, 2011 2:31 PM in response to Chris CA

Cheis, get over it. It's not a list which you or anyone else has to follow. It's my own list of what +I personally+ consider to be the only major reasons. If you insist on having a limitless number of major reasons then, I promise you, no one is going to care less than me.

I consider OP's question answered and I'm moving on. You may now take the last word.

May 16, 2012 1:09 PM in response to chicodaman

chicodaman wrote:

I was struggling with this and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work. Finally I got it. For others who might have the same issue:

eBoof also posted the same suggestion 9 monhs ago.

As to your p.s., I agree.

If people would simply answer the question as asked, rather than posting a reply that the OP specifically stated they did not want, things would be much clearer to all.

Jan 29, 2011 10:11 AM in response to Michael Morgan1

Just curious where you came up with this list of "only two major reasons" that everyone has to follow?
There are only two major reasons for having and using a Reply to: header — either a) your provider doesn't allow out-of-network addresses to be used on outgoing messages, à la MobileMe and others, or b) you're trying to set up or maintain some threading theme on a particular subject.

c) cannot access one email from where you may send an email. As an example, I cannot access my work email from home. If I send an email at work and I want a response after I leave or on the weekend, I need to use Reply To:
d) the user simply wants to do it.
e) the From: address is a throw away address (using it only for a while not to be used again.

Jan 29, 2011 2:51 PM in response to Michael Morgan1

Sorry if you got upset. Not trying to get into a blanking contest
Just trying to make sure the OP gets his question answered. Your answer ("Yes. If both accounts are set up in Mail, then all you have to do is the following:") is incorrect as it cannot be done.
You cannot use a different Reply To: address.
It's my own list of what I personally consider to be the only major reasons.

But you did not write it was only what you considered to be reasons.

If you have some other way to do accomplish the same as asked (your response didn't), great. Explain away.

Jan 31, 2011 4:50 AM in response to Michael Morgan1

I am struggling with the same problem on the iPad since I have it.
Yes: The problem is that I get a copy of my corporate mails to a private pop account on the ipad, but when I reply to those mails, people who receive my reply and make "reply to" will write to my private account and not the corporate one.

I have tried to change de "from" address in iPad, but as stated here before, the problem is that corporate mails servers detect the incongruent addresses and reject.
Also, I have tried to setup a forward a copy on my private incoming mail account to my corp mail, but that is also detected as a "loop" and rejected.

All this should be arranged setup with a different "reply to" address in the iPad Mail setup, but no; this has not been forseen by Apple.

I am highly frustrated with it but still hope for a future upgrade from Apple or some third party mail client for iPad (But then this will never be allowed for by Apple, i suppose)

Aug 26, 2011 3:15 PM in response to RonSpain

Actually, this can be done just as the OP required. But, you can only do it when you first set up the account.

In the set up dialog box, first put in your reply to address e.g. Fred@replyto.com and your password. Then in the next dialog put in your actual pop/imap username and password to receive mail.

Note you can't ever do this again. The first dialog sets up your reply to address. The second one sets up receiving and sending mail.

Good luck and Cheers from down under.

May 16, 2012 11:26 AM in response to Jai Gill1

I was struggling with this and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work. Finally I got it. For others who might have the same issue:

The above advice doesn't say it explicitly but when setting up the new account, you must select account type as "Other", not one of the alternatives such as "Gmail" (as I was incorrectly doing).

Then on the first screen, enter the address and password of the account you want as the "reply to:" address. On the next screen, enter the account data for the incoming and outgoing servers. For the incoming server, use the account data of the account you want to receive on the iPad (which in my case was indeed a Gmail account, using mail.gmail.com as the server). For the outgoing server, you must use the actual SMTP server of the account address that you want to have as the "reply to:" address (in my case, smtp.gmail.com).

For example, my incoming account is a gmail account using the "mail.gmail.com" server with the appropriate account id and password. My outgoing account uses my company's smtp server ("smtp.mycompany.com") with my corporate account id and password.

It works fine. The only thing is to realize is that you must have authorized access from the outgoing server for it to work.There's no way to just type in any old "reply-to" address as you can with most email clients.

PS. I don't understand why those who don't have an answer to an OP's original question don't just keep quiet instead of filling up the thread with snotty "you can't do that and why would anyone ever want to do that" posts. Really wastes a lot of other people's time as they try to read through a thread searching for an answer. Sigh. Just how people are, I guess.

Different “Reply To” email address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.