Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone autocorrect (british)

Greetings, Apple discussions.

I am a canadian iPhone user.

I have my language set to British English

So why, please tell me why, does my iPhone "autocorrect" favourite back to the american "favorite" when I type with autocorrect on?

(same goes for armour - armor, capitalise - capitalize.. etc. this is getting really annoying)

iPhone 4, iOS 4, 16 GB

Posted on Jan 30, 2011 6:45 PM

20 replies

Mar 29, 2011 5:17 PM in response to Slvwrx

if you have more than one keyboard, it does that.
If you delete the other ones it'll default to your only keyboard, the UK one.

----

The problem with the UK keyboard, I realise, is that the £ sign replaces the $ sign. I am in canada. This is a problem.
Unbelievable that they don't have a canadian localisation that works, whether it be keyboard layout or spellchecking.

May 8, 2011 6:11 AM in response to Jay's Account

I have an iPad 2 and I came across the same problem (I live in New Zealand so I wanted the dollar sign but also British spelling)

I solved it by deleting the US keyboard and adding a new keyboard. I chose UK English and then under the keyboard layout I chose US international -PC.

Now I have British English auto correction but still have the US keyboard layout.

Hope this helped.

Cheers

Oct 28, 2011 8:23 AM in response to Jay's Account

Thanks for the solution... However a new problem arises: Organization (in Canada), now becomes Organisation and any other "ize" ending words, will become "ise".

What we really need is our country's English dictionaries added to the keyboards. I doubt the cost of programming a Canadian, New Zealander, Australian or other English keyboards would outweight the benefits. If I can have French Canadian, I should also have the option of its English counterpart!

My rant and two cents.

Nov 14, 2011 5:08 AM in response to Tanguay

Since Canada and New Zealand and the like are part of the commonwealth and use the queen's English, they DO officially use spellings that end in -ise, while America tends to use the -ize spelling. To use English colour and favourite but American organization is sort of a weird mashup. I can see them not making a dictionary for that.

Good luck in finding a solution though!

Dec 31, 2011 10:55 AM in response to aonghas

"I solved it by deleting the US keyboard and adding a new keyboard. I chose UK English and then under the keyboard layout I chose US international -PC.

Now I have British English auto correction but still have the US keyboard layout."

Didn't work for me (Region:Singapore) -- still have the pound sign. At least iPhone's spellling has improved!

Dec 31, 2011 11:42 AM in response to Jay's Account

i'm here in the UK and have the 4S

the auto spelling spells everything as it should the Brit way

perhaps its just something with the phone where you bought it as ur one is a canadian (US)

handset its probaly stuck to that lingo lol

btw i'm sure you prob figure a way

I had a AT&T iPhone just recentley set uit up on itunes

UK it totally set everything up in brit too even the 12 days of xmas app worked on it

I think they do not have this app for the US?

lol so if you visit the UK set yer phone up with itunes here lol

Happy new Year btw 🙂

iPhone autocorrect (british)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.