Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printing Problem with 10.6.6

On computers running 10.6.6, we can no longer print to older network printers (HP Laserjet 6MP and Xerox 340ST) that are not recognized by Bonjour. We keep receiving the message "Network host '[printer name]' is busy; will retry in [5, 15, 20] seconds...", but it never prints. Other computers on the network that use earlier OSs can print to these printers just fine.

Does anyone know what would cause this and how to correct it?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jan 31, 2011 12:43 PM

26 replies

Jan 31, 2011 12:57 PM in response to Jon Colvin

Try this:

1. Open Print & Fax preferences.
2. Delete both printers from the list.
3. CTRL- or RIGHT-click anywhere inside the list box. Select Reset Print System from the contextual menu.
4. Reboot the computer.
5. Open Print & Fax preferences.
6. Re-add the printers.

Be sure you use either a printer driver supplied with OS X. These would be the current drivers that should work with 10.6.6.

Feb 1, 2011 8:22 AM in response to Jon Colvin

I have two Mac Book Pros and an iMac, all running OS X 10.6.6. None of them can print to a network printer. One Mac Book I take to and from work. It is acting this way no matter who the manufacturer is, HP Epson, Brother, and Xerox. Tried resetting printer system and rebooting and it failed. It will print to the same printers via USB. This has happened with all my Macs since the last upgrade. If I try printing with Bonjour I get the same error. If I try printing via network it says Connected To Printer... I can get all stats from any of these printers via Printer Setup and all supplies status and everything comes up correctly

Feb 5, 2011 6:03 AM in response to Jon Colvin

I am facing the same problem after updating to 10.6.6. When i tried to print it prompt me the "printer is busy. Will try in 20 seconds". I used to be able to print via network to canon ir3300 which i set up by entering the printer IP. I have remove the printer and set up again but it failed. Should I downgrade to 10.6.5?

Feb 5, 2011 7:53 AM in response to Kappy

Thanks for the info - I guess my Printer requires Apple Talk, so I decided to replace OS10.6 on my Macbook with 10.5.8. Both G4 and Macbook connect to the Internet via a router but now I can longer connect the G4 to the Macbook although it says it is there, and the Macbook doesn't even show the G4. Do I need to go back to an even earlier version of 10.5?

Feb 5, 2011 4:03 PM in response to skinfrakki

Which network printers are giving you trouble? For example, at my office multiple Brother, Epson, and HP network printers work. At home I have two Brothers which work just fine over the network.

What error messages are you getting?

How are your printers set up? Are you using fixed IPs or DHCP? Are your printers all on the same network as your computers? Can you ping the printers? What print description language are they using? Are you connected wired or wireless?

Feb 5, 2011 4:29 PM in response to Jon Colvin

A bunch of people have chimed into this topic with their own problems which may or may not be related to Jon Colvin's problem. Please do not do this, as it just gets very messy.

Jon's problem is probably caused by the lack of AppleTalk, particularly since an HP 6MP is not a network printer. The Xerox may not be, either.

The necessary information for these problems is:

What printer is it?
How is it connected? What cable did you use, and is there any other hardware between the computer and the printer?
What did you do when the problem started? If you upgraded the OS, what did version you upgrade from, and what version did you upgrade to?

Feb 6, 2011 2:30 PM in response to Bruce De Benedictis

Apologies for gate-crashing the question, it appeared to be related to mine. I think I have resolved mine and for info it was twofold. Recently I changed ISP and was supplied with their own dedicated Router. I could surf the web and send emails but couldn't network wirelessly although my laptop was recognised ie an icon within the network, and I couldn't print. It would work if cabled which wasn't a real option. I eventually overcame this by feeding my old router into the new one and connecting wirelessly to the old router. I had gone back to 10.5.8 and could now network OK but still not print via the network. I upgraded to 10.6.3 and everything worked, I upgraded again to 10.6.6 and the printer became unaccessible. I guess I shall stay on 10.6.3 Hope this helps someone.

Feb 6, 2011 2:39 PM in response to Bigup

Would that be a DeskJet 930C? Because if it is, that device has not been officially supported by HP since 10.4, and you've simply been lucky that it's worked so long. It's a good printer but it's, what, 10 years old now? Win Vista and Win 7 don't support that machine any more. It's old enough that it supported Win98. It's dead, time to buy a new one.

If you really, really, REALLY must use it, then Project Gutenprint <http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php> and the HPIJS Project <http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/macosx/hpij s%23Printers> both have drivers which allegedly work with it. I have not tried those drivers because I don't have a DJ930. Good luck, but you'd really be better served buying a new printer.

Feb 20, 2011 5:46 PM in response to Jon Colvin

I too am having trouble printing. I have a Lexmark x4530 wireless printer. Works fine if I connect the USB cable but cannot print wirelessly. I have set it up multiple ways. Through finding it through the IP address to using the Lexmark setup software. It worked when I first set it up but now it doesn't. None of the fixes I have found in the forums seem to work. It tries to connect to the printer and then it says it can't. But when I ping the IP address it is fine.

Printing Problem with 10.6.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.