Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Mouse scraping on bottom, marking counter

I've had a Magic Mouse for just over a year. Lately it has started really marking up the counter. The battery cover is seated properly, but it is scraping on the bottom -- it's actually worn away to a shiny mark directly between the optical lens and the cover switch. Not exactly what I'd expect for an $80 mouse, and I'm just wondering if anyone else has encountered this or knows of a solution?

Posted on Jan 31, 2011 10:31 PM

19 replies

Oct 28, 2017 4:14 AM in response to xlntmac

Ha, I bought a thrift store Dymo with loads of tape about a week ago, knew I'd find a use for it. The Dymo tape cut to fit the bottom of the sliders has worked a treat! I made sure to clean off the sliders with lighter fluid before attaching. Will see how it goes after use, but currently sliding like a dream. So thanks for the tip!

Mar 15, 2011 7:26 AM in response to Sterling Hill

HAH - they would have us believe that this is RARE - however I found a website that SELLS replacement pads. Fliders - “the original slippers for your magic mouse” - costs $10 so I think I will give apple a call first. Look at the testimonials - http://www.fliders.com/fliders-for-apple-magic-mouse.htm?view=products

does not say how they are attached - maybe like your felt! HAH!

Jan 26, 2012 10:31 PM in response to mbgower

This is nothing to do with the battery cover because it still occurs when you take the cover off. Mine is a new mouse (with my first iMac) and therefore no worn down pads,

The material for the two slides seems entirely inappropriate.

Apple as the leader in design aesthetics? Forget it - this is a very bad design and they choose to do nothing about it.I have had many other mice over the years but never one that is so completely spoilt by this horrible scraping.

Feb 14, 2012 12:29 AM in response to mbgower

For those who can't stand this anymore and yet are reluctant to chuck the **** thing away, I offer this as a partial solution. Take a craft knife and carefully scrape the sliders in the middle 40mm in such a way as to leave a high spot approximately 5-10mm at each corner. Cover the aluminium body with masking tape and then carefully rub down the slides with very fine wet and dry abrasive paper. I suggest not coarser than 600 grit.

The aim is to let the mouse "skate' on 4 short pads (like every other mouse I have ever seen) and not on the full length of the skids.

Now, why couldn't some of Steve Job's whiz kids think of that?

Jun 3, 2012 9:13 PM in response to mbgower

I had the same issue. My battery cover was scaping the desk and getting worn, and this after only six months of use! I agree that this is a design flaw.

I looked around on the web and found a company selling teflon tape for any mouse. It was cheap. I cut stips to size and installed them. Very simple, and it has held up wonderfully. It makes the mouse slide just a bit easier, but not so easy that it becomes difficult to use as a trackpad. The reason Apple created a mouse that doesn't glide like others relates to the trackpad/gestures features. If it can't stick in place a bit, it's hard to swipe around on the top. The MM takes getting used to, but I love mine now. It's especially impressive to others who watch what I am able to do with very little effort. On the other hand, my PC-using kids just hate the mouse. On the other other hand, they don't "borrow" it from me. And this is no small advantage.

Oct 7, 2015 11:23 AM in response to mbgower

I took the black sliders off (they come out, just take the battery cover off, take the batteries out, and you can gently pop the black sliders out and save them if you want to replace them later). Then cut two felt pieces that are the same length but a little wider than the black sliders. But the batteries back in, put the cover back on, and place them in the spaces where the original sliders were. This works perfectly on desks and is quiet, fast, smooth, and accurate =)

Oct 27, 2015 8:54 AM in response to Sterling Hill

I have used Fliders on worn magic mouse rails and they were not very long lasting before they wore away. I split a half inch Dymo label tape in half lengthwise and applied the appropriate length of the tape to the magic mouse rails, and the difficulties caused by worn rails are fixed. I think this fix will be longer lasting than using Fliders, and easier than cutting scotch tape to fit. If necessary 2 layers of tape on each rail could be used. Perhaps different widths of label tape would work better, but this works well.

I used the non-permanent type label tape. I have not tested the permanent variety. Use a fresh utility blade for this.

Magic Mouse scraping on bottom, marking counter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.