Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Office 2011 and Clipboard Issue

I have had a problem going back to Office 2008 where anything copied and pasted into Office applications from modern Macintosh program like Mail, Safari, TextEdit cause an immediate freeze with Word and Excel and presumably PowerPoint. Microsoft says it is an Apple issue. I have done all the usual things like permissions fixing, trying a brand new accounts, totally removing and resinstalling Word, removing duplicate fonts, etc . It happens on my laptop but not on other machines here at school.

Here's the last Word from Microsoft support...

Hello John,

RE: Case ID - 1146481346 (Microsoft Word 2011 for Mac)

Thank you for your response. I understand that you will look into this later with regard to contacting Apple Support.

As we have done all troubleshooting steps we can do, I wish there was more we could do. I would like to get your permission to archive your case at this time as not resolved. After contacting Apple Support, if you still require assistance, this case can then be automatically re-activated by your response.

As you have experienced the same issue with both Office 2008 and Office 2011, and we have fully removed and reinstall the software with the same results. You have also tested this in a New User profile, and in SafeBoot.

When you copy and paste on the Mac, it is using the Mac Clipboard to complete this function. Office for Mac does not have a separate Clipboard. The error log you are getting when this happens is a Kernel Panic error which is generated by the Mac Operating System, not directly from Word.

In the error log the ClipBoard is referenced several times ( 2 OleProcessClipboardAE + 2175 ) prior to the Kernel log ending:

[0x56f3c180]

Kernel stack:

16 lo_allintrs + 302 [0x2a0b5e]

16 interrupt + 171 [0x2aa0d6]

16 lapic_interrupt + 126 [0x2b16c2]

16 intel_startCPU + 405 [0x2b2c92]

16 sync iss_toiks + 124 [0x2a99dc]

You noted that this is an older Mac, did you upgrade on this Mac from Leopard to Snow Leopard, and if so, were you experiencing this same issue before upgrading the Operating System?

Unfortunately, it will be necessary to contact Apple Support and have them look into this for you. This may be related to Fonts, permissions or something on the HardDrive, but we have no way of determining this.

Please let me know if you would like for me to archive the case at the present time and the case can then be reactivated by your response after contacting Apple Support.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Feb 3, 2011 8:45 AM

29 replies

Feb 3, 2011 11:24 AM in response to John Heffernan

I'm not buying Microsoft's explanation. I can somewhat reproduce the problem, but I'm usually copying/pasting from Word to Adobe InDesign and frequently have problems with it. I just tried going the other direction, pasting from ID into Word and it took a minute and 15 seconds to paste one small paragraph, with Activity Monitor showing Word as not responding. This is on a new Mac Pro. Based on other experiences trying to copy and paste from Word and Excel into Illustrator, Microsoft is pretty obviously doing something non-standard (there's a surprise!) when they place things on the clipboard.

Feb 4, 2011 11:54 AM in response to John Heffernan

When using WORD 2011 on OS X 10.6.5, a simple "copy and paste" within a single word file, often results in WORD hanging (not responding), requiring a force quit and loss of all unsaved work. The same thing happens with cut-and-past between WORD files. If you "copy", then "save", then "paste", this seems to work ok, but that is a bad work-around. If you "copy" , wait 5 seconds or click someplace in the document and insert a space, then "paste" seems to work.

This occurs very often on large documents, but also on short documents.

This is unacceptable! Either Microsoft or Apple has messed up something with the clipboard. Microsoft needs to create a fix ASAP!!

May 13, 2011 4:00 AM in response to John Heffernan

Hi,

I think I am having the same issue - already since office 2008. I hoped 2011 will solve the issue but it didn't. As soon as I try to paste from Mail, Safari, Text Edit Word hangs with 100% CPU showing the beach ball. This happens on a new user account as well, pasting from firefox e.g. works fine though.

I tried every single solution tip I found from the internet including reinstalling office (removed every office related file I found), taking care of font issues, cleaned font cache and even user caches using applejack in single user mode: Nothing helped.

As I found out during my research MS blames Apple and vice versa and paying customers are stranded...

Is there really no working solution for this except reinstalling OSX or buying a new machine!?

PS all software is updated OSX 10.6.7 and office 14.1.0 SP 1

Oct 8, 2011 2:26 PM in response to John Eidinger

I am glad I found this thread. I am experiencing exactly the same problems. Word 2011 on Snow Leopard on one machine and with Lion on another machine. larger Word file, and copy and paste even of smal text parts might freeze Word. Not reproducable with the same action a second time. But again and again happening while working with larger text files.

Hope someone will fix this asap.

Nov 19, 2011 3:30 PM in response to cat weasel

My fiance was having the same problem running 10.7, MS Office 2011 on a MacBook (white one).

We did the following and it seemed to help:

• Turned off "Smart Cut and Paste" - Preferences/Edit
  • Made sure she was always working on .docx files, not .doc files.

So far it has helped a lot. It's not 100% but it's an improvement. Hope this helps.

Office 2011 and Clipboard Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.