Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Computer won't print black text in Word, excel, safari- not printer issue..

I am at a loss. I have an iMac with 10.6 snow leopard installed. All was well and then my HP 109 printer just won't print text in black. I have replaced all ink (though they were all full) and since I just decided it was a printer issue I just purchased another printer Canon MG5170 brand new and having the same issue only with black text. Can someone please help???? Again- not a printer issue- something with the mac itself

iMac 2.66 intel core i5, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Feb 3, 2011 10:57 PM

29 replies

Jun 8, 2017 6:49 PM in response to Robwin

I have a PC and got some attachments that would not print black. One was word and one was a pdf of the word document. I printed out the word document as a pdf and printed out the pdf just fine. The problem occurred on 2 different models of Epson printers. It seemed like there was a code in the word document that said to use invisible ink.

I am posting on this apple forum because I think it is a Microsoft problem, not Safari nor Epson.

Feb 3, 2011 11:26 PM in response to Robwin

Very interesting symptom. As a test I would try changing the text to a different colour and see if that prints.

If the different colour prints then we can rule out a font issue, although both machines being raster-based should not be impacted by fonts.

You could also try printing to PDF to see if the symptom continues. If the PDF is okay then try printing that from Preview.

I would also try printing a text file from TextEdit. If TextEdit and Preview do not print the black text then I suggest a reset of the printing system.

1. Open System Preferences > Print & Fax
2. Move your mouse over the Printers list
3. Hold down the Control button and click the mouse
4. Click the "Reset printing system ..." popup
5. Restart your Mac

This will remove your print queues but not your printer drivers. So you will only need to add your printer queues again.

Feb 3, 2011 11:57 PM in response to PAHU

Thanks for the advice- I just tried the following:

Well yes -text prints fine in word if I change it to hot pink!
Text edit also will not print - only blank.
Won't print to PDF also- blank.
Reset printer (on my one year old and my 2 hour old new printer) and restarted- no help!

What could have happened here????
Some kind of crazy software issue?

Feb 4, 2011 12:06 AM in response to Robwin

Not entirely sure what has happened. Can't remember ever seeing someone with the same issue - that was not caused by the ink cartridge of the printer.

Interesting that the print to PDF also failed. Maybe it is a font book issue? You could open Font Book and check for duplicated/conflicting fonts. They will be marked with a yellow asterisk. When selected you can then click Edit > Resolve Duplicates.

If resolving font duplicates does not help then I would download and install the [OS X 10.6.6 Combo update|http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1349].

Feb 4, 2011 12:12 AM in response to PAHU

I am not exactly sure what Font Book is and I don't think that I even have it...I dont think it is a font issue because the same document with color text prints fine and the black text is invisible....is there any way that is has to do with the "automatic" text color settings. I tried changing it to black with no change but this is so strange and I am going NUTS! Especially since I bought and changed 3 cartridges for my one year old printer and imagine my frustration with a new printer today!!!!!! OY!User uploaded file

Apr 11, 2011 12:22 PM in response to Robwin

I am not hopeful that this will help but it has solved some frustrations here.
When we get either no color or wrong colors or no grayscale etc, here at school I go to the computer and when I select the printer, in the print dialogue window I find the color options and choose to set all color matching on the printer NOT on the computer and then it prints correctly. I also would suggest resetting the PRAM.

Your problem sounds very frustrating!

May 8, 2011 2:05 PM in response to Newkkl

Having similar issues. Word for Mac 2004, tried printing a document I used all the time without issues. Haven't printed the document in a few months, now nothing shows up when I print it, blank page. Sometimes a few text boxes (outlines) will print but with no text inside them that should be there. If I insert a picture from file it prints fine.....very frustrating and must be a problem with some recent update, I know I just installed a bunch and wish I hadn't.

Aug 30, 2013 7:19 PM in response to Robwin

I'm having the same issue. It started on my HPJ4680. Thought it must be the printer. Changed printers. Same bloody thing. Changed the font to red, green, whatever; In these colors, printer works a treat. Black doesn't print at all. Page comes up empty.

PDF doesn't print black. Reseting printer doesn't help. Nothing works. Anyone find a solution to this other than throwing the computer out?

Sep 7, 2013 7:08 PM in response to ron276

Same thing here, all the same problems. Tried all the suggestions. Although, I might add that I was able to print all colors including black from .doc Tried to save docx to doc and did not work!!!! What is this thing??? Is it software? Printer? Font?? Computer?? Has anyone figured this out? From what I can see issue started back in 2011. Someone must have figured it out by now. Why are there no updates? Someone please help

Computer won't print black text in Word, excel, safari- not printer issue..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.