Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule Ethernet connection

Hi,

I set up my TC and wanted to do the first back-up by ethernet. However the TC only shows up when I have wiFi enabled.

I added the TC to an existing WiFi network (802.11N) is this why it wouldn't let me connect the mac directly.... for the first back-up ??

MacBook 13" 2.4Ghz 2GB 250GB (aluminum Body), Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Feb 9, 2011 12:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2011 12:57 PM

Welcome to the discussions, Mark!

If by "add" you mean that you configured the TC to "join a wireless network", the ethernet ports are not enabled in that type of configuration and you'll need to do the first backup using wireless.

If you have the ability to connect your TC to your wireless router using an ethernet cable, you could do backups over ethernet or wireless. A few reconfiguration steps will be needed, but it will only take a few minutes.

You might decide that this type of setup was superior to the wireless only approach and leave things configured this way permanently, or you could switch back to the "join" mode after the first backup was completed.

Message was edited by: Bob Timmons
49 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2011 12:57 PM in response to Mark Bateman1

Welcome to the discussions, Mark!

If by "add" you mean that you configured the TC to "join a wireless network", the ethernet ports are not enabled in that type of configuration and you'll need to do the first backup using wireless.

If you have the ability to connect your TC to your wireless router using an ethernet cable, you could do backups over ethernet or wireless. A few reconfiguration steps will be needed, but it will only take a few minutes.

You might decide that this type of setup was superior to the wireless only approach and leave things configured this way permanently, or you could switch back to the "join" mode after the first backup was completed.

Feb 9, 2011 1:09 PM in response to Mark Bateman1

When we say "extend" for the Apple devices on the forum, this implies that you are doing this using wireless only. You'll need to have another Time Capsule, or Apple AirPort Extreme "n" as your "main" router to be able to setup the Time Capsule to "extend" using wireless only.

In other words, to "extend" you need Apple to Apple "n" capable devices. Is that the case for your setup?

Feb 9, 2011 1:22 PM in response to Mark Bateman1

Let's be clear here before we go too far down the wrong road and have to retrace our steps.

If you connect the Time Capsule to your Netgear router using a permanent ethernet cable, you can configure it as a bridge to "create" a wireless network using the same wireless network name, security and password as your Netgear router...in effect, creating a large wireless network.

Computers would automatically pick up a wireless signal from either the Netgear or Time Capsule depending on which device was producing the stronger signal. Computers could "roam" from one area to another and stay on the same network. This is called a "roaming" network for that reason.

The Time Capsule or any other Apple device cannot "extend" the wireless network from another manufacturer's router using wireless only. The Time Capsule can "join" the network as you already know, but it does not provide any additional wireless coverage when it joins and the ethernet ports are not enabled in this type of configuration.

Mar 28, 2011 3:05 PM in response to rashedki

I connected my TC to my MAC through (join a wireless network) choice

This is a "wireless only" type of configuration. The ethernet ports are not enabled on the Time Capsule in this type of configuration, so it is not possible to connect to the Time Capsule using any type of ethernet connection.

and I want to know if there is any way to switch between wifi and ethernet cab

Unfortunately, not easily. You have to "hard reset" the Time Capsule and completely reconfigure it to connect using ethernet. Then, you have to "hard reset" it again and reconfigure it back again to "join a wireless network". I would not advise most users to consider or attempt this.

IF...you have another router there providing your wireless network, and

IF...you can establish a permanent ethernet connection between the wireless router and the Time Capsule,

We can suggest a setup that will give you the option to backup using wireless or using ethernet.

Post back if you want to consider this,or need more information.

Mar 29, 2011 2:57 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Ok,
Would you please explain to me in details (if you can) the difference between the following three choices:

1. I want to create a new wireless network
2. I want to replace an existing base station or wireless with TC
3. I want TC to join my current network

And what I suppose to get for each choice, and what I things I gonna a lose for each choice.

Mar 29, 2011 3:11 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi Bob,

That is exactly my need. I have a Netgear wireless router and have hard wired by ethernet cable my new Time Capsule to it.

The goal was to create the strongest wireless network possible.

Now, I am in the midst of my first back up -- nearly 500GB from my iMac -- wirelessly. Suffice to say, it's painfully slow.

An ideal solution for me would be to retain this set up long term, as I have some difficulty getting a strong wireless signal throughout my house, but I'd love to back up my iMac and Mac Book Pro using a faster ethernet solution.

Cheers,

Glenn

Mar 29, 2011 5:57 AM in response to Glenn Cartledge

Glenn,

If you have the Time Capsule connected to your Netgear router using an ethernet connection, the Time Capsule should be configured in Bridge Mode. Check your settings as follows:

AirPort Utility > Manual Setup > Internet icon > Connection Sharing = Off (Bridge Mode)

When the Time Capsule is set up this way, you have the option of connecting your Mac directly to one of the LAN <-> ports on the Time Capsule (or the Netgear router) to back up much more quickly than wireless will allow.

Since you have already started the backup using wireless, I would recommend that you keep it going until completion. Then use the ethernet connection in the future when you have a large backup. Ethernet will, on average, go at least 3-5 times faster than wireless.

Mar 29, 2011 2:26 PM in response to rashedki

Ok,
Would you please explain to me in details (if you can) the difference between the following three choices:

1. I want to create a new wireless network

The Time Capsule will provide a wireless network, which you can choose to use or not. In this setup, the Time Capsule must be permanently connected to your router with an ethernet cable. Backups will occur over wireless or ethernet since the ethernet ports are enabled on the Time Capsule in this setup. +This is your only configuration choice if you want to be able to backup using either wireless or ethernet+. The Time Capsule will be configured in "Bridge Mode" so that it will work correctly with your router.

2. I want to replace an existing base station or wireless with TC

Does not apply here since you are "adding" the Time Capsule to your network.

3. I want TC to join my current network

This is the way that I understand that you have your Time Capsule configured now. It is a "member" of your wireless network. The TC is not physically connected to your router using an ethernet cable. Backups occur only over wireless. There is no option to backup using ethernet because the ethernet ports are not enabled in this type of configuration on the Time Capsule.

If you want to make a change in your TC configuration, let us know exactly what you want the new setup to accomplish. Rather than use the confusing "guided setup" in AirPort Utility, we will use a manual step by step approach.

Mar 29, 2011 3:01 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi Bob, many thanks for this. I ended up cancelling the wireless back up (rightly or wrongly) and followed your advice. Yes, the ethernet transfer was immediately faster and has been a complete success.

One final question: I imagine that now this initial back up is complete, I am free to change my Time Capsule settings to extend/improve my existing wireless network?

Mar 29, 2011 3:35 PM in response to Glenn Cartledge

Glad that you got things going using ethernet. You can certainly experiment with the wireless capability of the Time Capsule if you want. The usual choice when two wireless networks are in use is to designate one as a "main" network and reserve the other for "guest" or "kids" use.

The Time Capsule will provide a dual band wireless network with a 5 GHz band for newer, faster devices and a 2.4 GHz band for older, slower devices. The 5 Hz band is capable of 2-3 times faster performance, so wireless backups will go much faster (but will still be slower than ethernet).

Time Capsule Ethernet connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.