Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

grey screen with lock icon

Macbook not booting properly, install disk nothing, press option on start up goes directly to grey screen with lock and login bar, tried all passwords and ...Nothing
cannot safe boot. cannot reset PRAM. regular boot startup displays apple icon and spinning wheel.. Have no idea what may have caused issue (not the last one to use it) In other words HELP! User uploaded file

MACBOOK, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Feb 17, 2011 9:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 6:47 PM

hi,

This is the same screen that I keep seeing. I've owned this white iMac since 2008 (late 2006 model) and I updated it last year, to Lion, then moved to my new house and couldn't log in. I placed it aside and now I really need data off of it. I turn it on, regardless of what I do I'll see the login screen with my picture, no menus and the password won't take. I've been able to get it to the grey lock screen and tried the password (plus some) and nothing. I know the computer works fine, maybe I've tried the password too many times. I tried the Firmware pw removal from apple documents without success, memory as well. Any suggestions without lugging it to the apple store, please do assist. I swear I thought I would have been able to reset the pw with my apple id but no, it won't seem to have the option. scratching my head often. I tried target disk mode, lock screen.

Also, I have all of the manuals, books, cds, etcetera from when I purchased, I've tried all of the original install disks and tried Lion Combo, I ordered the Lion CD (AGAIN PURCHASE grr) and am waiting for it to arrive however I'm quite certain it won't let me by the lock screen- there is no documentation about this screen online except for here, I've searched all day and found this thread- Thanks !

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2014 6:47 PM in response to aduffbrew

hi,

This is the same screen that I keep seeing. I've owned this white iMac since 2008 (late 2006 model) and I updated it last year, to Lion, then moved to my new house and couldn't log in. I placed it aside and now I really need data off of it. I turn it on, regardless of what I do I'll see the login screen with my picture, no menus and the password won't take. I've been able to get it to the grey lock screen and tried the password (plus some) and nothing. I know the computer works fine, maybe I've tried the password too many times. I tried the Firmware pw removal from apple documents without success, memory as well. Any suggestions without lugging it to the apple store, please do assist. I swear I thought I would have been able to reset the pw with my apple id but no, it won't seem to have the option. scratching my head often. I tried target disk mode, lock screen.

Also, I have all of the manuals, books, cds, etcetera from when I purchased, I've tried all of the original install disks and tried Lion Combo, I ordered the Lion CD (AGAIN PURCHASE grr) and am waiting for it to arrive however I'm quite certain it won't let me by the lock screen- there is no documentation about this screen online except for here, I've searched all day and found this thread- Thanks !

Feb 21, 2017 7:24 PM in response to tsoneal26

Good Day I have same problem it happens sometimes ago I switched on my IMac Desktop then it shows a hard disk and a picture of the world globe in clockwise direction spinning I tried to fix it then it became worst now it shows a padlock icon with a text box beneath it. I followed several tips on YouTube to fix it but kuldnt watched one video and followed the Instructions I happen to get the IMEC Reference Number and send to www.Unlockriver.com were they will do the resetting and send me with a flash drive but the Site it's still locked please I need help some other tips to fix my IMac. It has something to do with the firmware and the pram got corrupted it seems.

Oct 20, 2017 5:41 PM in response to brandon handford

I had a similar issue when I was trying to access a partitioned hard drive on my mac desktop.

I successfully partitioned my mac hard drive to install windows software, however, once I had accessed my new partitioned hard drive (with a new user account/password etc), I could not access my original one. Every time I tried to reboot using the command key + other key options, a grey/black screen with a big padlock symbol and a login bar would appear.

Entering my passwords did work; I thought my computer was hijacked.

As it turns out, if you can access any of the partitioned hard drives, all you need to do is:

Enter system preferences, select startup disc, unlock changes (small padlock symbol that uses login password), select new partitioned hard drive, and click restart.

Thank for everyones' feedback, it helped me to problem solve:)

cheers

Feb 21, 2017 8:00 PM in response to Kathryne_B [nom de plume]

What bout on the 27inch IMac Desktop it has no CD Slot so how can I do the repair as you stated on the MAc with CD Slot. Firmware repair and the Pram to. I all I got now is when I start the System it shows the Grey padlock icon, managed to get the 24 IMEC Reference Number following some tips on YouTube am stuck now please any easy way out pls.

Feb 17, 2011 11:40 AM in response to brandon handford

Sounds like someone set a Firmware Password or there is a hardware issue.

Booting From An OS X Installer Disc

1. Insert OS X Installer Disc into the optical drive.
2. Restart the computer.
3. Immediately after the chime press and hold down the "C" key.
4. Release the key when the spinning gear below the dark gray Apple logo appears.
5. Wait for installer to finish loading.

What happens, precisely?

grey screen with lock icon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.