Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Subtitles in Apple Tv 2

I look for the movie and download it. I Merge it with the subtitles using submerge. I convert it to a file suitable for iTunes (mov), drag it, and I can watch it in my Macbook with the subtitles, but when playing in the Apple Tv 2 the subtitles don't appear. Where is the problem?? Is there anything I have fogotten in the settings of my Apple Tv??

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Feb 21, 2011 1:11 PM

42 replies

Mar 19, 2011 12:54 PM in response to Dugoselo

That is odd, doesn't Submerge actually hardcode subtitles permanently onto the movie? Not sure how AppleTV could not show them in that case ( as they are burned into the frames, and are forever integrated into the movie) iSubtitle, by the same company, does use soft coding to keep the subtitles separate from the movie file (and switchable in AppleTV)

My AppleTV 2 displays both hardcoded and soft coded subtitles, from content processed with Handbrake and/ or Subler. You do need to press and hold the middle button on the remote to select subtitles to display.

The 4.2 update also fixed the issue of soft subtitle text displaying too small, but I don't think the two- line display issue was addressed.

Mar 19, 2011 10:11 PM in response to Dugoselo

Try Subler instead, but I believe it will only let you add a subtitle stream to mp4 / m4v container files, not mov (which is sometimes slightly different).

http://code.google.com/p/subler

There is both a GUI and a command line version.

I use Handbrake to convert video files to mp4 / m4v compliant containers with proper H.264 video streams and AAC audio streams. There's an Apple TV preset. Handbrake is free and at http://handbrake.fr

For auto-tagging the meta data, you can use Identify which will automatically retrieve the information from different web sites.

Mar 30, 2011 9:08 AM in response to Dugoselo

I'm having subtitle problems too. I exported one of my movies using DVD Remaster Pro. When I play it in Quicktime, I can enable or disable subtitles. BUT when I play it in iTunes, while the option is there, it will NOT accept no, and so I see closed captions whether I want them or not. The same for AppleTV2 - choosing Settings/Audio&Video, I turned off the subtitles. It accepts my change, BUT the movie is still showing subtitles.

Also I just noticed that when I play a Netflix movie I don't get subtitles AT ALL - even when I change my Settings to ON.

I'm in correspondence with DVDRemaster support, and so far it's still being discussed. But when I couldn't Turn On the subtitles in NetFlix, I began to wonder that my problem is really with AppleTV & iTunes.....

Apr 17, 2011 1:30 AM in response to Dugoselo

I have been looking for subtitles too and can't find much information. In fact I am not talking about the streaming feature from iTunes over to AppleTV2, but when renting a movies on the AppleTV2. Someone said that holding the center button shows a subtitle menu, but that shows the chapter menu here. Are there subtitles or not?

Jun 30, 2011 6:37 PM in response to Dugoselo

Hey Dugoselo!

I had the same issue using an ATV2. But this only happens when you "save" the movie after rendering the subtitles.

If you "Export to..." > Apple TV instead, they will appear also on your Apple TV, no matter if CC is off. It takes a lot to export (about half ot the real lenght of the movie), but somehow it seems to be the only way to make it work.

Hope this helps you.

Cheers!

Aug 18, 2011 3:16 PM in response to Dugoselo

Hey buddies....

I have an ATV2 (Apple TV 2 gen.) and I think I know what the Dugoselo are talking about...

I had the same problem.... even with the video files with subtitles playing in iTunes but not on ATV2...

The problem is:

By default, Apple TV has subtitles and closecaption settings disabled!

1 - Turn On your ATV2

2 - Go to Settings menu

3 - Turn On subtitles and choose your desired language and closecaption if you want.

That's it!

Cheers

Subtitles in Apple Tv 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.