Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SD Card Slot READ ONLY mode.

I have this problem.
My SD Card Slots it's in READ ONLY MODE.
I already use the SD cards in this computer without a problem, they we're always read/write. Not anymore since a month. (I think from the last software update, but I'm not sure of this).

Someday, without notice, all these cards are read only on my macbook pro.

I don't have this problem with my G5. I can read/write on these SD cards. Of course, all of them are unblocked.

I tried in several formats (formatting the cards with my G5). Same results.
My Macbook Pro 13 (last edition so far, I brought it on November 2010).

I read is probably A Snow Leopard 10.6.6 problem.
So I reinstalled the system without updating the computer, but the problem is the same.

ANY SOLUTIONS?

Message was edited by: Daniel_Italia

MacBook Pro 13, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Feb 23, 2011 3:38 AM

20 replies

Feb 24, 2011 9:47 PM in response to Daniel_Italia

It's likely a hardware issue and not a software issue.

First steps are reboot, reset SMC, reset NVRAM.
Then perhaps try re-applying the 10.6.6 combo update.

If you have a Apple Store close by - the genius bar would be a great place to get it tested / possbly repaired if it's the slot that has failed.

Have you tried any/all of these?

Feb 25, 2011 10:08 PM in response to Daniel_Italia

I have the same problem. I was able to format my SD card a couple times the other night. Now, no matter what I do it's set at read only when it's inserted. I have 2 different cards I'm using with the same issue with both.

One (the card I was using in the description above) is a Kingston 16Gig SDHC. The other one is a 8Gig SanDisk SDHC. Both have the toggle for lock on them. Regardless of how that's set it's read only.

I have an appointment at the Genius bar tomorrow. So they can look at it..

Feb 26, 2011 10:20 PM in response to skygremlin

Went to the Apple store today. I opened up my MBP the SD card worked perfect, no issues.. I couldn't believe it. But after we (me and the tech) removed the card a few times / formated it. It stopped working and started setting it for read only, and we couldn't get it back to read / write. IE same issue as we were posting.

The tech spoke to his lead technician, which both said they have never heard of this, but decided that the motherboard is defective and needs to be replaced. So I left it there for them to replace it. Price, if out of warrenty, was 650.00. Can't remember if that included labor. I have AppleCare (which they didn't have on record) so free for me. Glad I paid the 350 when I bought the laptop.

Overall I waited an extra 15 minutes before being seen. A little annoyed about that. But the tech was very nice, professional, and helpful. I did ask about the SMC, but we were talking about a couple of things and that kind of got lost in the shuffle and I completely forgot.... Sorry I had "I am Number 4" on my mind as we were planning on seeing that next.

Will update as soon as I get it back

Message was edited by: skygremlin

Feb 27, 2011 2:35 AM in response to skygremlin

It seems very very strange and a loot "windows pc style"... 🙂 I'm still thinking is a firmware/software problem. But if you say that Apple Center changes the motherboard this will tell us (a lot of people) that there is a problem on a lot of Logic Boards.
I will return to my apple center to change (for the second time) the logic board because a SD card reader.

Mar 9, 2011 1:36 AM in response to Daniel_Italia

Well. It seems a Logic Board problem. I went to the Apple Service and they will change the Logic Board (FOR THE SECOND TIMEUser uploaded file) because this problem. I repeat, Apple now is more like PC's. GRRRR... Anyway. The technician an me thinks that this is a firmware problem, anyway, my MBP is on guarantee, so let's change this logic board for free. 🙂

Mar 9, 2011 1:40 AM in response to Daniel_Italia

Well. I spoke with Apple Service and they will change the Logic Board (for the second time User uploaded file). I'm still thinking is a firmware problem. Someone on Apple made a mistake IMHO. But I'm not a technician, so... let's change this logic for free, my MBP is still on warranty. Let's make spend money to them.

For everyone that read this thread... don't try anything like resetting NVRAM, PRAM, SMC or tricks like "insert the card in this way"... go an Apple Services, and change the logic board (obviously if you are on warranty time).

SD Card Slot READ ONLY mode.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.