""""No it will not work, your computer might boot but it will very soon be plagued by Kernel Panics. Please ensure you install RAM that is specified for your machine.""""
Why should that be ? are there other differences or the ram speed is reason enough ? is that true for recent upgrades or has it always been so ?
As long as it's the same type of RAM (DDR3), your logic board should recognize it. A higher frequency stick of RAM should just clock downwards to the specified frequency on the board or, if allowed, stay running at its original frequency.
I've been running 1333 DDR RAM in my late 2008 MBP with no problems for a year under the new boot ROM. You should have no troubles. Older logic boards, on the other hand, do experience kernel panics when there is mixed RAM. In my experiences, I've stuck to using matching and uniform sticks of RAM.
Enjoy your 8GB!
I had bought a 4Gig module from OWC about a year ago (since conventional wisdom was that it could only handle 6Gig reliably) so I settled for a 4Gig Kingston KTA 1333MHz (Best I could get hold of in this neck of the woods) as a second module.
So far the two have been playing together very nicely (in fact, I now see *less* freezing than before; but that may be Lion more than the RAM). I will admit to being rather happy with the upgrade.
Now if only I could afford a SSD...
I bought some g-skill 2x4gb 1333 mhz ram for my unibody late '08. Works well so far, macbook is recognizing it as 1333, not 1066. Not sure whether thats reality, but no problems yet. I'm just happy it accepted the ram, not really worried about whether it's running 1066 or 1333.
Running a bit faster than the 2gb (patriot) and 1gb (stock memory) sticks I had inside before. I think there is really something to making sure you buy the SAME EXACT sticks if you go with two.
Next stop ssd...
Thanks guys. I too am I on the path for the DDR3 1333Mhz ram upgrade in my Late 08 15" MBP.
Can one or all of you that has successfully switched from DDR3 1067Mhz to the 1333Mhz RAM clarify a couple points for me please? Sorry to ask but I'd like to make sure I'm on the same page before I do it.
a) Were any of you already upgraded to Lion? If not, have any of you done the Lion upgrade yet?
b) Are you still operating your MBP without any related issues?
c) And lastly, were you already on the correct Boot ROM Version? Or???
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP51.007E.B05
Please let me know. I would appreciate the help. Crucial RAM arrives in 48 hours and I want to be prepared.
Thanks in advance.
If you're in the same "family" of RAM, e.g. DDR3 versus DDR2, there's no reason using a faster speed would hurt anything. They're specifically designed to be backwards compatible within families and if a system can't use a given speed it'll just use a slower one.
To say that Macs are especially sensitive to memory speeds is silly.