Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i cannot transfer purchases from my ipad to my pc

for over a month now, i could not been able to transfer purchases from my ipad to itunes. when i try this manually, a very quick count of transferring is shown in the info panel in itunes (approx. 10 seconds). But nothing is actually transferred to my hdd. My problem is i have around 600 apps installed on my ipad.
Please be sure about these before answering to my thread :
- My pc is authorised for certain.
- i' ve tried the "deauthorising-authorising again" action with no luck
- i' ve only used one itunes account while purchasing the apps.
- i' ve uninstalled and installed again for several times (all the apple products (itunes, quicktime, bonjour, mobile device support etc.)
- i' ve an iphone 3gs, authorised with the same PC. and can transfer purchases without any problem.
- for several times; when i connect my ipad to itunes, it urges me to restore to a previous backup. without any choice i do that. I find my notes etc turned to the previous back up version. But i also see the apps (which i cannnot transfer to itunes)remained undeleted.
- i have never jailbreaked anything. I am a good App Store customer.
- what i find while googling, i saw that i am not the only one facing this problem. Several users experienced this over 2 years. the only solution people find and recommend to me is to jailbreak and ssh into the ios system. they say this one :

"It appears to be a permission issue (probably due to the upgrade from 1.x to 2.x).

I changed permissions on a directory and removed a file and it seemed to work again.

chmod g+w /var/mobile/Media/ApplicationArchives/
rm /private/var/mobile/Library/Caches/com.apple.mobile.installation.archive.plist"
i don' t want to do this.

- my biggest problem is i cannot upgrade to ios 4.3 because of this bug; because that, i cannot backup. Think of several apps that have files in it and customizations. think of long sized and timed games that are saved in the middle. i cannot start everything from the scratch.
-i cannot purchase them again inside itunes. Because i don' t have the long list of those apps which refuses to transfer.
-this makes ipad unreliable.i cannot trust it anymore while backups are not reliable.
- i have enough space on my hdd
- i am using win7 ultimate x64 and using the latest x64 itunes version.
- of course i tried different usb ports, different original usb cables.
- my hdd is in good state
- nothing is wrong with the iphone backups. I can backup iphone 3gs with the same pc.
- i' ve tried desyncing the music and trying with that, also done this with the movies, podcasts etc.
- i' ve choosen the "sync newly installed apps" option. Also my apps are thicked (choosen for sync).
- For hard reset, when i press the home + sleep button together for 10 seconds, it only shuts down. And shutting down is very fast (maybe 3 seconds).

ipad 3G/64, iOS 4

Posted on Mar 17, 2011 5:28 AM

59 replies

Mar 17, 2011 6:45 AM in response to mustafa.orkun

I am having the exact same problem with trying to sync my iPad with my computer. To make a long story short, I had to reinstall Windows for my computer and therefore had to reinstall itunes.

I have done back ups in the past for my ipod touch and other ipods with no problems, but unfortunately I have never been able to back up my iPad. During a sync, the iPad would always disconnect from my computer and it would never finish. it would say the connection was lost, but nothing is wrong with the connection.

So now I have over 100 apps and thousands of pictures that I am afraid will be deleted if I run the sync in itunes. I have tried to transfer purchases and it goes through the list of apps, but nothing is ever transferred.

Any help would be appreciated. I am not interested in jailbreaking my iPad to solve this problem. There should be a fix for this and I want to upgrade to ios 4.3 as the original poster. Please help

Mar 17, 2011 7:11 AM in response to dclarss

Ja, with the same wishes. I do not want to jailbreak either. Apple has to solve this issue and assure its products' reliability. That' s not a simple faulty hardware exchange thing. You loose your time, workings, everything you' ve done with the device.

But i would like to remind you that this problem exists for around 2 years and happened to several iDevice users.

Mar 17, 2011 10:19 AM in response to mustafa.orkun

I'm also having trouble syncing with my iPad; before purchasing the iPad2, I downloaded a number of iPad apps, both free and paid. About one third of them synced, but the rest do not. I looked for suggestions, and repaired permissions, but to no avail.

When I sync the iPad, it's a very short process. I've done it three times just now, and two more apps came across. I reset the iPad, synced again, and just two more apps came across. About 15 left to go, including 2 purchased.

Pretty frustrating to anticipate the use of applications that won't sync. Looking forward to a solution.

Mar 17, 2011 12:09 PM in response to mustafa.orkun

Since my original post, I have been doing a back up of my iPad device, I am not even half way done and it has already taken 6 hours. Not sure what this is going to do, but I thought it was at least worth trying instead of having everything deleted.

I have done some research today and found hundreds of people with this same problem "more or less" with iPad's. Their iPhone syncs with no problems, but they have problems with their iPad's.

Mar 19, 2011 5:20 AM in response to mustafa.orkun

I haven't been able to transfer purchases for a month or so. If the problem doesn't get fixed I'm going to stop buying apps because it's a real pain backing them up. My iPhone backs up still, my iTouch backs up, but not my iPad. I've tried two Macs and a PC and it doesn't matter. I upgraded to the newest version of iOS. And Apple support told me I'd have to call to see if they can help me and if I'll be charged for the help.

And why the heck isn't there an iTunes option to see all purchases like in iBooks for easy redownload?

Mar 24, 2011 1:22 AM in response to Julien Valverde

as i' ve mentioned in my long post; that doesn' t work. I will keep this thread unanswered untill Apple (or someone who may help) finds a solution other than the jailbreak and ssh solution.

Does anybody know a way to ssh into device without jailbreaking? IT looks that Apple ignores and does not interested in this thread. I feel alone with my problem with the device. No one from Apple replied like "We understand and accept your problem. We are trying to find a solution. Just be patient" vice versa..

Mar 26, 2011 4:41 AM in response to mustafa.orkun

Still no reply from Apple employees. A reasonable amount of time has passed. I expected a reply at least like "We are on it. We have read your thread. We understood you. We are looking for a solution". Usually, this kind of behaviour is expected from big companies. This comforts the end user.

If it is going to be like keep silent, he will write and write and soon will get bored and stop writing here, i should decide what to do. Can anyone help me and show the way the things i can do? It looks that Apple won' t help me.

i cannot transfer purchases from my ipad to my pc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.