Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DisplayPort -> DVI-D Dell 2405FPW "Can not display this mode" when sleeping

I have a 24 inch Dell (2405FPW, the one that came out in 2004 or 5). Previously this was used on a Mac Pro, which died last week. Bought a new 2011 2.2GHz 15 inch i7 MacBook Pro but still wish to use the external monitor as a second display using the Apple-branded Thunderbolt/Mini DisplayPort->DVI-D adapter. When the MBP's screen shuts off, the Dell should also (as on the Mac Pro) but it instead it says "2: DVI-D Can not display this mode" over and over again. Ideally, it'd make it go to sleep too. This is after upgrading to the 10.6.7 MBP-only update last night (though it never has put the Dell to sleep, even before the update). There is no HDMI port on the monitor for me to test out other types of connections. I am, of course, not running any Thunderbolt devices in between (as they do not yet exist).

In any case, at the the monitor works!

Monitor docs here: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/2405fpw/en/setup.htm

Message was edited by: clydeiii

2011 15inch MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), latest software installed, 2.2GHz i7

Posted on Mar 22, 2011 1:49 PM

28 replies

Mar 23, 2011 4:11 PM in response to clydeiii

I found a solution. I bought the Moshi Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, and an HDMI cable with an HDMI to DVI adapter. And now when it goes to sleep I don't get the nasty "2: DVI-D can not display this mode." : )

So it seems like the problem is with the Mini DisplayPort to DVI from Apple... I wonder if they will make some kind of firmware update for the adapter... otherwise I'll be selling mine!

Mar 24, 2011 10:49 AM in response to clydeiii

Hey, call it whatever you want. The point is that I got rid of the nasty message before it got burned on to my monitorUser uploaded file I think our problem is so hardware specific that I highly doubt someone will come to the rescue, so my "hack" might actually help someone in the same situation while the rest wait until Apple comes out with a "solution." I don't think the problem is with Thunderbolt, since that's the port I'm using with the MDP to HDMI adapter, the problem is with the MDP to DVI adapter, since that's the only thing I changed before I got rid of the problem.

Mar 24, 2011 9:55 PM in response to SebSeb

I don't think LCD monitors suffer much from burn in, plus the message flickers on and off. It's simply a waste of energy, as far as I can tell.

I'm guessing (and this really more a hunch than anything) that if you were to hook up Apple's Mini DisplayPort->DVI-D adapter into a 2010 MacBook Pro, it'd work fine. No one is complaining about this on the 2010 model, in any case. What appears to be happening is the Thunderbolt port is somehow mangling the signal to tells the monitor to go to sleep, which is why the monitor claims it can't display the mode it's being asked to display. The mode is wrong. Why the HDMI hack works seems to be that the mode is getting fixed somehow in the translation from HDMI to DVI-D. I don't really understand these things, but I see no reason why the Apple branded MDP->DVI-D would be fundamentally broken here. More likely, it's the new addition into the mix: Thunderbolt. I suspect Apple have so many issues that are related to this one that they'll eventually release a patch fixing this. I just hope they're reading these forums.

Jun 2, 2011 3:20 PM in response to clydeiii

Same problem on Dell 2405FPW from 09 MacPro (MacPro4,1) via mini-display port to DVI using Apple's mini-DP to DVI adapter. When the MacPro sleeps the display the Dell shows the "cannot display..." flashing message. Switching to the MacPro's DVI output and all is fine.

I was turning off the display when not using but that also turns off the USB hub - quite annoying to come back and find my phone hasn't charged! Then I was switching the monitor to another input rather than turning off - the screen goes to sleep but the USB hub is still up - better but still a pain to be manually switching. Now I'm using the DVI output of the MacPro.

Aug 15, 2011 5:33 PM in response to clydeiii

Same exact problem here, with July 2011 Macbook Air 11" hooked to 2405FPW. Recently upgraded from a 2008 white macbook that never had a problem putting the display to sleep.

I am using the Apple mini-displayport to DVI adapter. This *****--I do not want to turn my monitor off all the time, and I don't want to waste energy using my screensaver nonstop!

DisplayPort -> DVI-D Dell 2405FPW "Can not display this mode" when sleeping

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.