Skip navigation

Does anybody else have Viber or Whatsapp charges on their AT&T phone bill?

31840 Views 50 Replies Latest reply: Mar 2, 2014 11:47 AM by theViberTeam RSS
1 2 3 4 Previous Next
swissgirl Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Mar 23, 2011 3:32 PM
I got my phone bill for my iPhone and noticed charges of $79.00 for using Viber and/or Whatsapp texting Apps. I have WiFi in my home and AT&T data processing when I'm i.e. in my car driving around and calling my Viber friend. Is that the reason I got charged? I called AT&T and they told me to contact Apple. They said it's a FREE CALL so they deducted it but wondering about my next bill. Can somebody help me?
iPhone 3G, iPhone OS 3.1.3
  • Tamara Level 6 Level 6 (13,720 points)
    Viber is a free call if you call someone else that has viber. If they don't have viber, you are going to use ATT's data or calling plan.

Mobile carrier charges apply for calls on whatsapp.

You may want to read the FAQs for these apps to understand how they work.
    Mini x2, iPhone 3G, iPhone4, Air, iPad, Mac OS X (10.6.6)
  • theViberTeam Level 1 Level 1 (95 points)
    Hi,

This is an official representative of Viber Media.

Viber requires 2 things:
    1. both sides need to have Viber installed.
    2. both sides need to be connected to the internet, 3G or WiFi.

About the cost:
    Viber itself is a TOTALLY free service. Payment for 3G internet usage is determined by your cellular company, and this is something we (Viber) cannot control, nor do we benefit from, AT ALL.

Using Viber on WiFi, however, is free for sure, so we don't really understand why AT&T charged you for using WiFi (or even how).
  • Lawrence Finch Level 7 Level 7 (24,495 points)
    There are texting scams that allow a company to charge you for a service that you used through your carrier. You basically respond to a text, and a charge appears on your bill. AT&T can block these charges, or can require you to confirm that your really want to make the payment before accepting it. Call AT&T to enable this feature. Could this be what happened?
    MacBook Air, Intel iMac , Dell/Ubuntu 8, iPhone 3GS iOS 4.3, Mac OS X (10.6.6), Leopard 10.5.4 on iMac, XP via Fusion on MBA
  • Michael Black Level 6 Level 6 (17,835 points)
    swissgirl wrote:
    I have WiFi in my home and AT&T data processing when I'm i.e. in my car driving > around and calling my Viber friend. Is that the reason I got charged?

Bingo - in your car, you do not have wifi so are using the carriers cellular data network.
    2.53GHz MBPro unibody, iPhone 4, Mac OS X (10.6.6)
  • Lawrence Finch Level 7 Level 7 (24,495 points)
    Michael Black wrote:
    swissgirl wrote:
    I have WiFi in my home and AT&T data processing when I'm i.e. in my car driving > around and calling my Viber friend. Is that the reason I got charged?

Bingo - in your car, you do not have wifi so are using the carriers cellular data network.

I don't follow. If you have AT&T on an iPhone you have some number of minutes and a data plan. If you go over the limit on your data plan you will be charged, but that apparently wasn't the case here, as it was a single call, And $79 is not a data plan charge that makes any sense.
    MacBook Air, Intel iMac , Dell/Ubuntu 8, iPhone 3GS iOS 4.3, Mac OS X (10.6.6), Leopard 10.5.4 on iMac, XP via Fusion on MBA
    Actually, from the OP I don't know whether they were overages or not. If they had the minimum 200MB ($15/month) plan, it could be overage data charges (they never wrote that it was a single call, they just referred to use of).

Regardless of the numbers involved, while the apps (Viber and Whatsapp) may be free to use, if using AT&T's network to use them, the data is not free. Any data sent to or received from AT&T's cellular network is subject to charges - either applying towards your plan limit or in overages. The app using the data is not material to that point (neither, for that matter is Apple - they didn't make the apps in question, and they don't control the carrier's network).
  • deggie Level 8 Level 8 (44,840 points)
    From the OPs first post they said they noted a $79 charge specifically for using the app. A charge for overage would be just that and be labeled that way. I would be more inclined to believe the OP got scammed by someone.
    MacPro Dual Core 2.66 Ghz, MacBook Pro 15", iPhone 4, Mac OS X (10.6.6), AEXs, Red 2G & 5G Nano, Red Shuffle, 160 GB Classic, Apple TV
    I never said nor implied that I disbelieved anything the OP wrote. I just said that if they were using those apps on AT&T's cellular data network, despite being "free to use apps", they were subject to data charges. In the absence of any details or clarifications from the original brief note, I have no idea whether the charges were legit or not, overages or not, whether for a single instance of use or multiple, or anything else about them.
    The important bottom line is that it wasn't Viber that charged for the service.
    It is also very strange that the AT&T bill specifically said "$79.00 for using Viber" - the cellular company shouldn't 'know' what you use your data minutes for.
  • Tamara Level 6 Level 6 (13,720 points)
    I doubt it said that and the OP has not been back to clarify.
    Mini x2, iPhone 3G, iPhone4, Air, iPad, Mac OS X (10.6.6)
  • pratana Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Both my sister and I have viber installed. We've been using this app for a while without issue. Until this past Saturday, I called her via Viber for sure. But somehow I got AT&T charge for all 3 hours.

I noticed on the call logs that viber call out get cancelled, but it shows up on AT&T.

I have to settle the case with AT&T and pay them 50+ (original bill was 830!!!).

I will never use Viber again until I know for sure it's absolutely free.

I used the app when I was at home via my own wifi.

Hi @pratana

This is an official representative of Viber Media.
    The bill you are describing couldn't have been issued by Viber as you're describing, especially when it's WiFi that was used.
    Viber works over the internet, and for this reason AT&T 'couldn't have known' that Viber was used.
    What probably happened was that your internet connection was temporarily low, so a regular call was placed instead of a Viber call.  You can notice the different between the two by the fact that Viber's purple screen switches to iPhone's regular grey interface.

There is unfortunately nothing we (Viber) can do to help.

If you have more questions - please feel free to ask,

Viber.

• Guybrush-Threepwood Calculating status...

It might be worth using Skype. Has the same key feature as Viber plus it wont switch over to the cellular network. Its data or nothing with that. You also have the added benefit of being able to call skype users on other platforms. Win win.

• pratana Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I totally agree, which I will do. since both my sister and I have skype as well.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.