Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Orange Discoloration from Bottom-Left corner of MBP Screen

So this computer is relatively new (I bought it in September) and a few days ago I started noticing a slight discoloration in the bottom-left corner of the screen. It has slowly gotten a little bit bigger, but it is only a slight discoloration. It is very noticeable when the brightness is turned all the way up and on a white background, but is less visible with other colors (though it is still there). It usually gets worse when the charger is plugged in and the computer gets warmer (the led screen stays cool) and gets better if the computer hasn't done anything in awhile or if it's not charging. The discoloration doesn't show up on screenshots, but I am POSITIVE I'm not just making it up. Is this likely a software or a hardware issue, and would it qualify under Apple's warranty (I can't find anywhere why it wouldn't)?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Jonathan

Macbook Pro 15" 2010, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Mar 23, 2011 4:28 PM

22 replies

May 27, 2011 4:21 PM in response to jonathanbateman

Jonathan (and Apple Support),

The exact same thing has been happening to me, and I too just started noticing it a few days ago (I have the same kind of mid-2010 MBP). Thought it was just me, but gradually it became more and more noticable. You're absolutely right: it becomes significantly worse (larger in size and deeper in color) when the charger has been plugged in for awhile; however, the purple/yellow/orange discoloration is persistent (and slightly annoying) even when the charger is not present. I'm thinking maybe this is a defect in the magsafe power connector? That's given the fact that the discoloration is only on the bottom left corner of the screen closest to the magnetic connection. I see no reason this wouldn't be covered under warranty, and I'll be very disappointed if it is not. As with you, Jonathan, any support would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Steven

[IMAGES BELOW]

User uploaded file

[Above] - Image of entire screen without charger plugged in. Note bottom left corner.

[Below] - Closeup image of the bottom left corner with the charger plugged in.

User uploaded file

Sep 6, 2011 3:04 PM in response to jonathanbateman

Wow ... I thought I was going nuts when I started noticing this - reflection from the desk I have? How can this be?

Then on a whim I decided to google the issue ... and here it is ... others with the same and even more pronouced problem. Has anyone had a chance to get some answers on it. My system is nearly a year old with the non-glare screen. After Lion I was having HUGE battery issues where it would only last an hour or so - after a complete reset of hardware it's gotten much better ... but the concept that this orange issue might be related to charging got me to thinking?

Mar 14, 2012 8:39 AM in response to TLinthePark

Thanks, TLinthePark. I have AppleCare, brought it into an Apple Store, and they replaced the panel in two day's time. It was very easy - just as you said.

I have likewise noticed that my MacBook Pro now runs slightly cooler and has a longer battery life.

One note for anyone else with this problem: If you have the Hi Res non-glossy LCD screen, let the Genius know, so they don't pull a glossy screen from the back and delay your laptop's turnaround.

Michael.

Apr 17, 2012 7:53 PM in response to mike2lane

I had this same problem with my July 2010 MacBook Pro in October 2011, and they replaced the screen/top clamshell (covered under AppleCare). Recently, it has started to happen again and the guys at the Genius Bar said they can replace it again. It seems like it's got to be caused by the computer itself--not just a defective screen as they had originally told me--since it's happened twice, and it does seem that my computer overheats more than should be normal.

Apr 19, 2012 5:29 PM in response to steven.touchton

Yeah, it's strange that it happened again. Mine also seems to be getting worse--it started out at just the bottom left corner, but has now stretched across the entire bottom of the screen as well as up the left side, though it's most noticeable at the bottom left, still.

It seems like Mike2Lane has an anti-glare screen (as do I)--do other people who've had this problem also have the non-glossy screen?

Jul 17, 2012 11:55 AM in response to jonathanbateman

My friend and I have the same problem, but I think you will notice that the discoloration actually moves around. It seems to be loose particles or something. Depending on how I store the laptop in my bag the discoloration will be at a different spot, it follows gravity.

I thought I noticed a slight discoloration a while ago, but it was never a big deal - now a couple weeks out of warranty it has started getting much worse (I think corresponding with the heat) and it is actually interfering with my work. If you notice any discoloration on your matte display, go get it fixed now because it will get worse. At what point is this considered a manufacturing defect and we can start a class-action?

I took it in and they offered to fix it for $310, but I am too upset that I already spent $2.5K on a laptop that is broken a year later to pay to have it fixed. Not sure what I am going to do at this point.

Aug 8, 2012 12:25 PM in response to If only I was Yoda

I have a mid-2010 MacBook Pro that has had this problem twice so far. The first time, they replaced the screen/top clamshell, but when it happened again I took it to the Genius Bar and they replaced both the entire screen and the logic board. Luckily it was still covered under AppleCare, since the two sets of repairs total almost $1500. So far, it seems to be working better, which might be because of the new logic board. Mine was sensitive to the heat before but seems better now.

I would advise bringing in your computer to Apple and asking them to replace the logic board if the screen has already been replaced (note: they agreed to replace my screen again in case it was that, so I'd ask the same of another Apple employee).

Orange Discoloration from Bottom-Left corner of MBP Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.