Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with m3u files and Quicktime

Hello:

I have made one update with Quicktime software (version 7.6.9 1680.9). The problem is that Quicktime player reproduces mp3 files but when I try to play m3u files the sound is very bad. It sounds like gargling.

For example: This files play ok:

http://www.telefonica.net/web2/sevarra/Sarabande.mp3

It plays ok when the previous link is introduced as URL address in Quicktime player, but the corresponding m3u files sounds like gargling

http://www.telefonica.net/web2/sevarra/list0.m3u

I think there a problem with m3u files and Quicktime.

Tank you very much and best regards.

AMD 64, Windows XP Pro

Posted on Mar 24, 2011 4:27 PM

21 replies

Mar 25, 2011 12:47 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk

I know the two links point an the same site because I have created both.
Perhaps it sounds ok with your Mac OS X but I have tested them with XP Pro in two different machines and the mp3 link plays ok but the m3u sounds like gargling.

I have tested the two links with WMP, VLC and Real Player and they work ok but the m3u sounds bad with Quicktime.

Mar 25, 2011 4:22 PM in response to ttfrank

Any ideas???

Even though the files don't play well in the QuickTime Player, they do play perfectly fine in iTunes. The last time I saw that effect happening to people on XP (including myself), it was related to hardware acceleration settings. if you adjust your hardware acceleration settings, does that have any impact on the play quality?

Mar 25, 2011 5:42 PM in response to Jacumba

In your 1st link the file opened with QT. When clicking on the 2nd link it opened with Windows Media Player. Both played fine.

Yeah, if we click on the second link it seems to play in our default media player (or whichever app we have set up for playing m3u). That's how I discovered it seemed to be playing fine in iTunes.

To open it in QuickTime player, we have to launch the player and then do a "File > Open URL" and plug in the URL.

Mar 26, 2011 10:59 AM in response to Jacumba

Yes, it is necessary to paste the m3u URL in Quicktime player. If not the URL is opened with WPM or another default player.

I have discovered that when the URL is playing (with gargling sound) if I open the A/V controls in QT menus and I move the Jog Shuttle or the Speed level then the sound becomes good.

I'm sure that this is a bug in QT. The question is how to contact with the developers of QT to make know this problem.

I don't know if this bug appears only in XP Pro or also in Vista or Win 7.

Mar 26, 2011 2:19 PM in response to ttfrank

I have discovered that when the URL is playing (with gargling sound) if I open the A/V controls in QT menus and I move the Jog Shuttle or the Speed level then the sound becomes good.

Yes! Great catch, ttfrank. I can replicate that too.

Interesting ... if (after getting the sound working properly again) you then pause play of the m3u, and start it again, you get the gargling/dalekish sound quality back again.

Bug reporting ... there's a couple of ways you can go about doing this. You can use the QuickTime product feedback form:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/quicktime.html

... but if you want to track progress on the bug, try instead registering as an Apple Developer (for free):

http://developer.apple.com/programs/register/

... and then you'll be able to submit the bug via the Apple Bug Reporter:

http://developer.apple.com/bugreporter/

In the meantime, there's also a restricted forum available to level 4 and 5 members ("Notable New Technical Issues") where we can report this sort of thing. I'll try to get a post written up on the topic there later today.

Mar 27, 2011 4:03 AM in response to b noir

Thanks b noir:

I have wrote a report in the first URL you gave because in the other two they ask for my OS system and machine and there is not option to select XP Pro and AMD.

I suspect that the problem could be related with DirectX. In my XP Pro I have it updated at the DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904) and perhaps it is necessary 10 version (like in Vista) or 11 (like in Win 7)

Mar 27, 2011 4:14 AM in response to ttfrank

I suspect that the problem could be related with DirectX. In my XP Pro I have it updated at the DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904) and perhaps it is necessary 10 version (like in Vista) or 11 (like in Win 7)

That's an interesting idea.

There's certainly not a lot of commonalities between our systems in terms of hardware ... I've got dual Intel 32-bit processors, you're AMD 64-bit. So our chipsets are also going to be different, and I daresay most of our other componentry will be too. So something like DirectX is probably one of the few things we've got in common on our systems.

(I got the post written up at the NNTI forum earlier today.)

Message was edited by: b noir

Problem with m3u files and Quicktime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.