Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay and Home sharing are very slow

The Netflix and Youtube which need Internet access work really good, but when I airplay videos stored in my iphone 4 or play videos in my iTunes library through home sharing, the playing speed is really really slow, it always takes several minutes to buffer. It's really annoying @@

Is there any one has similar situation as me and can provide some useful solutions? Thanks!

The ios version of my iphone 4 is 4.21, Apple TV 2 version is 4.1.1

X201, Windows 7

Posted on Mar 25, 2011 3:32 AM

24 replies

Apr 22, 2017 4:32 AM in response to Deshen

Had same problem. What worked for me was to enable a bandwidth control on the router's settings. I find out my internet speed and set the limit. I tested my speed via wifi at around 44mps. I then set the download/upload to around 10mbps and improved. Now it seems the bandwidth between devices is fairly distributed allowing better transmitting via airplay. You may need to experiment with different limit speeds to see which one would work best for you.

Mar 25, 2011 6:32 AM in response to Deshen

I don't use Airplay, personally, so I can't sympathize with that part of your issue, but I see the same problem with Home Sharing on my ATV. Everything was working perfectly fine until I did the software update that I was notified of last month. I've only owned this for about 2 months now, and I'm not sure what version of the OS was installed prior to shipment, but it worked beautifully. Ever since I updated, Home Sharing has been taking FOREVER to buffer. Tried watching an SD episode of Modern Family last night (roughly 255mb file), and it took a solid 15 minutes to buffer to the point where it would start playing. Half way through the episode, it caught up to the buffer and I had to wait another 10 minutes before it would play again.

If anyone knows how to downgrade the software to a version that actually works, please let us know.

So far, the only solution that I've seen which might help (at work, haven't tried it yet) is to wipe the ATV and go through the entire setup process again. Maybe it'll be a huge waste of time, or maybe it will get Home Sharing back to buffering at a reasonable rate. The only way to really know is to try it out.

Everyone suggesting that a new router is the solution is full of it. If the router is fast enough to transfer external media, than internal network transfers should have no trouble either (internal transfers will always have more bandwidth to work with). This is an issue with Home Sharing, plane and simple. Maybe it's a compatibility issue between the ATV and certain routers, or maybe it's something else, but the end result is that Home Sharing is not working properly. Apple needs to either fix the issue, or give us a list of compatible routers.

Has Apple even acknowledged that this is a problem?

Mar 25, 2011 1:31 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Thanks for your reply, I want to keep the untethered JB for my iphone 4 and Apple TV , so the update is not a good idea to me.

I watched some Airplay demo videos which uploaded to Youtube months ago, I think they didn't have ios 4.3 installed either at that time, but Airplay worked really good on their devices, it only took several seconds to buffer. So I think the lag is caused by issues other than ios version.

Mar 31, 2011 2:18 PM in response to Deshen

This problem is not caused by routers or not updating to the latest versions of software or firmware. Every product I own, from my Time Capsule to my Airport Expresses to all my iOS devices are all up to date. My ATV was flawless prior to this.Trust me. I'm not sure if this problem is caused by the latest ATV update or the latest iTunes update, but it is definitely caused by one of them. Accessing Netflix on the ATV does not seem to have been affected by whatever this problem is, but yes I agree buffering anything from home sharing or even accessing home sharing on any iOS device is taking FOREVERUser uploaded file I'd be interested in knowing if this problem is happening in the JB community and if they've updated their iTunes or not. This problem started when home sharing across devices was implemented. Airplay was fine, and home sharing to just the ATV "was" fine, but something is definitely messed up either with the iTunes update or the ATV update. It is also not the iPhone/iPad causing the problem. Actually connecting home sharing from the iPhone or iPad is just as slow as from the ATV, so I'm really really thinking this is a problem within iTunes itself. Maybe I should go into my Time Machine and restore to my old iTunes. Now THAT'S a thought.

Apr 4, 2011 7:25 AM in response to smmccarron

i believe that this in an iTunes on OSX issue. my ATV2 is very slow buffering and playing video from my imac. however if i try to access my library via home sharing from my iPhone it is just as slow playing from my mac to my phone (no ATV2 involved). Then if i shut down my mac and share my library from my windows XP laptop, everything works great. this tells me that the problem is with the mac. no i dont know if my router is somehow throttling loan network traffic because o OSX or if the issue is with the mac. i wont know until i try a different router. ill post when i have results.

Aug 1, 2011 5:01 AM in response to smmccarron

I am having some massive issues with home sharing in terms of both speed and as I'm noticing now, playing video almost at all from home sharing on an iPad.

Here are some interesting aspects that I find interesting, and might be a clue as to fix it:

One computer, an iMac with a large library (around 120 gigs), has trouble playing (basically everything is too slow to the point of being impossible to play -- I did get a very low res podcast to work, but it even struggles with bare audio) home shared content from a labtop, trouble sending things through AirPlay, things play too slowly on a 2ns gen Apple TV and on iPad/iPod Touch.

Another computer, a labtop with a moderate library (around 20 gigs) has almost none of the speed issues (or at least not worth complaining about in comparison) present playing on the AppleTV, the iPad or the iPhone. However, playing movies on the iPad comes up with a "This movie could not be played" -- this is a movie purchased from iTunes. It does play video podcasts, well enough I suppose, but then I cannot enter my labtop's library from the iPod App any longer without turning the iPad off and starting fresh. The name of the library shows, but it won't bring up a loading dial (or do anything at all) when touching it.

The iPad can use it's AirPlay functions with Apple TV and it's got mostly the same content as the iMac. Videos bought from iTunes check out fine. This is without Home Sharing however.

Some fiddling in vain:

- I had tried refreshing the iTunes library, but go no results, so I restored the previous files.

- I also increased the multicast rate from 2.2 to 11 in Airport Utility, but noticed negligble impact and selected 5 in the end as 2 seemed overcautious in terms of range.

- I've connected Airport by ethernet cable... which did improve some loading issues (such as the library not being accessible), but video playback/buffering did not improve. After connecting it by cable it seems I can unplug it and use Wifi just fine to access the library, but not a real solution there other than a free cable. Very strange all the same.

- I have my router (AirPort Extreme) set to bridge mode, but I can't see an issue there, as the Labtop's home sharing works fine by Wifi.

... so yeah, I'm really pulling at straws here, but I really would just like the iMac to be able to work well with the Apple TV (2) as it's the main library. Recommendations are welcome, as always.

Sep 19, 2011 3:09 PM in response to Deshen

I have a similar problem and am hoping to find an answer. I am running itunes on a mac mini, hardwired to the current Airport Extreme (802.11n), yet when I Home Share to either my iPhone 4 or iPad 2, it takes about 10mins to load the library on each device! Of course if I leave the home sharing or open another app and come back, I have to go through the process again. Is there a way to save the cached library on my devices? Is this how slow iCloud will be? On the iPad it is just as slow with Music and Videos. I have about 160 Gig worth of music and about 1.4 TB in vie (tv and movie), ripped DVD collection. I would LOVE some guidance as to how to have a seamless interaction with this content over my wifi.. Thanks!

Sep 25, 2011 6:25 PM in response to Deshen

I'm hoping someone comes up with an answer as well. I am having the same issues with my ATV while trying to use airplay, it "will not" play a single song without stopping. For those who insist it is a network issue consider that I have no issue at all with streaming my library over my apple tv only airplay. It's the same library from the same macbook and streaming works and airplay does not (makes me want to send the ATV through the wall... it makes no sense).

Oct 31, 2011 11:14 AM in response to knowtoneedtoknow

I'd just like to update my situation, with good news fortunately.

I'm not sure what exactly did it (I'm guessing one of the recent updates to the Apple Tv or iTunes) but the iMac is now streaming with perfectly acceptable performance. Snappy and quick-loading as I should have expected in the first place, it's nice to finally be able to use my Apple Tv as designed.

Airplay and Home sharing are very slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.