Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How so select text from cursor till the end of document?

What is the shortest/simplest key sequence to select all text from the cursor till the end of the document?

Why do I need this? I am using Apple's (very cool!) speech capabilities to read a long Word document out loud to me - to help me proofread.

Thanks.

iPhone 3G, MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Mar 27, 2011 12:20 PM

15 replies

Mar 27, 2011 2:45 PM in response to whoami24601

All of my text editors respond to the shift-command-arrow key shortcut. If Word doesn't want to go along, try various modifier key combinations with the arrow keys (e.g. shift-option-arrow does the same thing in BBedit) - In Mac OS, the arrow keys extend the type of selection, with the modifier keys changing the scope (i.e. character, word, paragraph, document).

Mar 27, 2011 4:14 PM in response to whoami24601

I have Word 2004, and after some Googling I just tried Shift-Command-END, which worked. You were again left at the end of the document, however.

My standard keyboard has such an END key, but I gather that your MBP does not have one. There is a post [here|http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1613051] that reports that on a MBP keyboard, END is fn-RightArrow.

So for Word, you could try Shift-Command-fn-RightArrow.

Dec 10, 2014 6:36 AM in response to whoami24601

In Xcode, it is Shift–Command–Down.

Navigation with keys is generally a pain in Mac OS – every now and there different rules apply of how to get to the start or end of a line or a document. Regarding this, free desktop environments (XFCE, Gnome, KDE, etc.) as well as Windows are much more unified: it simply is always the home/end button.

How so select text from cursor till the end of document?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.