Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Volume Control Locked

I can't change my volume, it's staying muted. I try to turn it up or down and the volume screen pops up but there's a symbol underneath the volume saying I can't change it.

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Mar 31, 2011 7:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2015 4:21 AM

Sorry this is late. If you open system preferences and go to sound, you can turn up the volume, and then you can start using the buttons again. Not sure exactly why this happens, but it works. Hope this helps!

14 replies

Apr 16, 2014 8:16 PM in response to Rachel Mac

So, this just happened to me, (thanks to my daughters hello kitty headphones :S) I tried everything plugging headphones in and out etc. NOTHING WORKED!! I pushed the buttons to pause/play or the forward song button.. viola! No more locked sound... I honestly wasnt even trying those buttons I was fed up with trying stuff and it showed me that my music changed to a song i didnt like so automatically i pushed those buttons not even sure which one exactly.. magically fixing the problem.

Mar 31, 2011 7:43 PM in response to Rachel Mac

Welcome to the Apple discussions.

Reset the PRAM as that's where the volume information is stored. Sometimes PRAM can become corrupted:

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
3. Turn on the computer.
4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
6. Release the keys.

Volume Control Locked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.