Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tethering: How can I use my iPad to access Internet from MacBook

Hey,

I have a 3G iPad and want to access the internet from my MBP using the iPads 3G connection. Unlike the iOS for iPhone the iPad does not offer tethering. Why? Is there any solution? I have an iPhone 2G with a slow 2 G connection and wouldn´t need a new phone since i mainly access the internet with my iPad or MB.

Any ideas? Thanks folks,

Eric

MacBookPro 2.4 GHz C2D, Mac OS X (10.6.7), iPod Ist Gen., iPod mini, iMacs (G3), iPhone, iPad

Posted on Apr 5, 2011 6:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2011 6:34 AM

Sorry, there is no way to make the iPad share its internet connection with another device.
33 replies

Apr 5, 2011 7:37 AM in response to Glorfindeal

Thanks for the info. I see, how might that be for o2 in Germany? Do I have to check with o2?

I have 3 SIM cards and a data plan of 5GB per month (after that they start to slow down to 64 kBit, 3 SIMs for iPhone, iPad and home - no DSL if you live outside the city ...).

Anyway, if I pay for 5 GB isn´t it my choice how to use them - through an iPad, iPhone or whatever? Does it matter for ATT/Verizon, o2 or any provider which way I use the data plan? I still do not get the point why there is a difference between the iPhone and iPad. Does Apple or providers give an answer?

Apr 5, 2011 7:46 AM in response to Eric Martens1

If I'm understanding your question correctly....

As far as I know, no iPad, regardless of the carrier, can act as mobile hotspot. It is a feature that simply is not available in the iPad version of the system software. Whether it's possilbe to do it by jailbreaking the iPad is something I couldn't answer even if I were allowed to do so.

As to determining how you can use the your cellular data services, no, it's not up to you (and certainly not up to Apple). It's up to the carrier. They determine the terms and conditions of sale.

Apr 5, 2011 8:03 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Ok, that´s all interesting information, thanks guys.

@Glorfindeal: So, it´s my provider that decides whether I have a thethering function activated on my iPad or not? But why does he care how I use my data plan and if I tether through an iPhone or an iPad. What would be the commercial or other benefit for the provider to block the iPad tethering?

@pvonk: So it is about hardware? If I understand correctly I can access the internet through WiFi and stream videos and other data with it but do miss hardware to use it as a hotspot for my MBP. How can the hotspot function work with jailbreaked iPads?

@Meg St._Clair: So, the iOS on the iPad does not offer tethering? If it´s the provider determining this can I contact my carrier to have tethering activated?

Apr 5, 2011 8:28 AM in response to Eric Martens1

@pvonk: So it is about hardware? If I understand correctly I can access the internet through WiFi and stream videos and other data with it but do miss hardware to use it as a hotspot for my MBP. How can the hotspot function work with jailbreaked iPads?

The iPad has the hardware needed but as Meg mentions, the iOS is not enabled on the iPad to allow tethering for other devices.

Apr 5, 2011 8:30 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

I see, but doesn´t that mean that Apple is determining? Since I do not even have the chance to discuss a data plan with my carrier.

What is the reason for Apple to skip this function? In fact, I feel pretty uncomfortable with this decision, it hinders me from using the iPad in a useful way. What is the reason to allow tethering on an iPhone and not on an iPad?

Apr 5, 2011 8:33 AM in response to Eric Martens1

Eric Martens1 wrote:
What is the reason for Apple to skip this function? In fact, I feel pretty uncomfortable with this decision, it hinders me from using the iPad in a useful way. What is the reason to allow tethering on an iPhone and not on an iPad?

We are all just your fellow users. No one here is going to be able to answer those questions for you. Bottom line is, for whatever reaons, you cannot use your iPad as a mobile hotspot. If that's the reason why you bought it, you need to either return it or sell it.

Submit your feedback to Apple here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Many people find that it's still a useful device even without that feature.

Apr 5, 2011 8:46 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Great information, thank you mates. I will contact Apple.

It´s not about having bought an iPad because of this but it is a useful function and Apple has good reasons to integrate that into the iPhone. Would be interesting to learn what the reason is to keep iPads or better its users outside. Let´s see what Apple says.

Thanks again for the helpful replies.

Tethering: How can I use my iPad to access Internet from MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.