Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuck on Gray Loading Screen AGAIN (SECOND TIME)

Hello All..

So for the second time my Macbook Pro is stuck on the **** gray screen and won't boot. The first time this happened 2 days ago I HAD TO resort to Archive and install. The only thing that I can even think caused this was again the fact that I updated via Software Update then rebooted.

I really don't understand why this is happening and it's really ******* me off.

Any ideas? Am I forced to perform another **** archive and install?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 6, 2011 3:59 AM

12 replies

Apr 7, 2011 10:38 AM in response to CoryCripita

Is it stuck at the blank gray screen, or the gray Apple logo?

You should not have to reinstall to fix this. Have you tried resetting the PRAM? I have seen that fix this a number of times on multiple machines. To do so:

1. Turn off your machine
2. Turn it on and hold down Option + Command + P + R until you hear the boot chime 3 times
3. Release the keys and let the machine boot

Another thing you could try if this doesn't work is a Safe Boot. Hold down the Shift key while booting your machine - this will automatically perform a directory check and could fix some corruption that may be causing the issue.

If that doesn't work, try booting to your install disc and using Disk Utility to verify/repair the disk.

Also, when you are doing these steps, be patient and let the machine sit for a while. When I first updated my MacBook Pro from 10.6.6 to 10.6.7, I had to let it sit for about 15 - 20 minutes after it restarted before it brought me back to the login screen.

Do you have ideas as to what might have caused this problem the first time? It is hard to give you preventative steps without knowing the full story about what originally may have caused the problem.

Message was edited by: mberardinelli

Mar 4, 2012 9:21 AM in response to mberardinelli

I have tried all these things and it keeps going to the grey screen. It started with a kernel screen problem, can't remember the name of the problem off the top of my head. I have noticed that I have to turn it off completely now everytime I close the screen otherwise this happens. I have been able to get it to come back before by removing the battery and restarting the machine in safe mode. Yesterday night, I shut it down and must have closed the screen just before it shut down completely. Now it is just going back to the grey screen. HELP!

Mar 4, 2012 9:55 AM in response to daisyjanie

Well if you do have to reinstall from the archive stop doing the Software Updates. More then likely it is the 10.7.3 update you are doiing and then has caused a lot of problems with older MBPs. So just Don't Do It. You don't have to update your system. That is completely up to you. Even if you run Software Update you can Pick and Choose which updates to do. Don't do the Lion 10.7.3 update, Uncheck it. And in System Preferences open Software Update and Uncheck "Check for updates". That way it won't do it automatically.

May 25, 2012 8:32 PM in response to mberardinelli

I was just trying to load starcraft 2 and my Macbook Por went into the grey loading screen. From there I powered off by holding down power button.

Everytime I try to start my macbook pro I get the grey screen is this because me hard drive is fried or is it some virus.

I have tried to to hold option,command,p,r and waited for it to chime three times but nothing just keeps resetting itself back to the grey screen, and I have also tried holding Shift to get the safe mode and it doesnt work. Is there any other suggestions, I am professional DJ and didnt back up my hard drive within the last week.

May 26, 2012 4:46 AM in response to CoryCripita

i am having the same problem. first it started run real slow, chrome would crash every second as would itunes. it turned it off and restarted it today and now i get the white screen of death. i tried disk repair utility with the boot disk but it won't work. i have never dropped it or spilt anything on it so i don't understand why is this happenening. also, it's a late 2010 MBP

Sep 23, 2012 6:24 AM in response to CoryCripita

Was this resolved??

I have this issue with late 2010 iMac.

Having talked to Apple Care, I was instructed booted in safe mode, reset PRAM, repaired disk/disk permissions and when none of the above helped I did a clean install of mountain lion.

Are all of you running 10.7?

My iMac will never boot first time, maybe second, sometimes it takes 5+ tries before login screen appears, otherwise just the darn grey screen!

Stuck on Gray Loading Screen AGAIN (SECOND TIME)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.