Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 3GS and TomTom Car Kit - Not working following iOS4.3 updates

HI,

Anyone able to help me with this - or do we have to rely on an iOS update to fix the issue?

I am running iOS 4.3.1 (8G4) and have regularly updated all iOS updates and Software when available, phone is not unlocked or jailbroken.

I have TomTom app V1.6 installed which runs fine when the phone is standalone, but also bought the Tomtom Car kit which includes a hardware SirfStar III GPS receiver. This GPS always worked fin until the iOS4.3 update and now the car kit is nothing more than a phone holder with integrated charging - the GPS does not work at all.

When I check the connection using the Car Kit Utility (separate app) the iphone is shown as "docked" with "no GPS fix", ie the GPS in the dock is not working.

Whilst the main app does work (just), it still uses the GPS built into the phone, which is flaky at best.

Anyone else experienced this and if so anyone found a fix for it?

Thanks in advance!!
Noddy

iPhone 3GS, iOS 4, Tomtom Car Kit

Posted on Apr 11, 2011 2:05 PM

19 replies

Apr 12, 2011 3:28 AM in response to GingaNoddy

I can report exactly the same error with my new car kit, 3GS 8GB and iOS 4.3.1 (8G4)

Car Kit App reports the phone is docked, phone charges and sound comes out the speaker but there is absolutely no GPS FIX.

I've only just got the phone and it came with this software version so cannot comment if it worked before.

I need to know if it is the phone or the kit that is causing it, because I only have 7 days to return the car kit as it was an ebay purchase.

Apr 12, 2011 5:34 AM in response to blisteringblue

I have a (sinking) feeling that it is the iOS 4.3 software causing the issue for two reasons: Frustratingly it was all working fine (I bought my car kit new from an Apple Store some time ago) and it has now stopped using the tomtom GPS (I have a car with Bluetooth stereo so cannot comment of voice calls using the speaker), and secorndly, the (Free) Tomtom car kit Tool App does not work for GPS either.
From other sites, I get the impression that TomToms response is that it is an Apple Software issue and nothing to do with their own software or hardware failure (as the whole thing would not work if it was a hardware fail)... your call on whether you try to get your money back via ebay, but the seller may state that all is working with the accessory (which technically it probably is!)

Apr 12, 2011 5:46 AM in response to GingaNoddy

I have logged it with TomTom and they are going to take the car kit in for a repair? I told them IOS 4.3.1 etc but they seemed unphased by that? They seemed more concerned that all other functions were working apart from external GPS, so maybe that tells them it is not IOS 4 and just a faulty kit?

I've also contacted the seller for a response as he does have a returns option but am more tempted to get TomTom to look as its their kit at the end of the day.

Apr 12, 2011 6:36 AM in response to GingaNoddy

I rang them, always seems to be at least 48 hours when logging via e-mail, was on hold for 10 mins but you get an instant response.

Just found some other threads which don't make any sense, saying that the bluetooth must be paired for the external GPS to work, and this was as directed by TomTom Support. This is something I had not done as my car has built in bluetooth, but out of interest I will try this on my 60 mile drive home tonight. I have to admit I told TomTom my bluetooth worked, I never mentioned I was not paired.

Apr 13, 2011 12:29 AM in response to blisteringblue

I too have tried the Bluetooth option, to no avail. I have had a response from Tomtom who are asking if my kit is an "old" version - not too sure where that will lead, but will post when I find out.

I geniunely do think its to do with iOS 4.3.X so the test on your friends phone, running 4.2 should give us a good idea....my next question would be "how do you revert back to iOS 4.2 via itunes?" 🙂

Apr 13, 2011 3:46 AM in response to GingaNoddy

Update from TomTom Support:
-----8<--------
Thank you for the update (sent the serial number to them) ..This is an older build of the carkit and replacing it with a newer one should resolve this .

I have set up a repair for your iPhone carkit.

Your repair number (RMA number) is XXXXXXXXX

Within the next hour, you will receive a separate email from our repair centre with instructions on how to enter your address details and then send your device in to us.
------8<-------

So it appears that it is a Tomtom issue - maybe a firmware update solves it (or at least they are using a replacement service to keep their customers happy).

I would say that if you go down this route, you need the original bill of sale/proof of purchase as Tomtom will CHARGE for any repairs if the product is sold on (ie any guarantees are for the original purchaser only) which is standard TomTom practice.

I will note if the replacement item does indeed solve the issue (for any future readers of this post), but at this point it seems there is a fix!

Apr 13, 2011 4:02 AM in response to GingaNoddy

interesting! what is your firmware reported by the tomtom kit app?

Mine states 0.0.48 ? I guess its the same as yours as TomTom want mine back for the repair too.

I will still test tomorrow in my colleagues 3G

But torn now, as my supplier from ebay will replace it too, but I guess their stock will all be the same (they have a few).

As it was £40 cheaper than TomTom direct for the kit, I might as well send it to them, chance they will fix for nothing with ebay receipt, or if not as long as they don't charge the earth will still be cheaper (and less hassle) than returning for a refund and then buying direct again at full price.

Apr 15, 2011 1:18 AM in response to blisteringblue

Still not had my box to post it back yet but just seen this post on TomTom

http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/TomTom-for-iPhone/IOS-4-3-amp-TomTom-car-kit-fo r-iPhone-Not-Working/m-p/16989#M326

Apparently IOS 4.3.2 released yesterday has fixed it. They had to remove the Kit App Tool and reload and also delete and re-pair the bluetooth but a non working kit following IOS 4.3 update now works.

Currently downloading to try !!

iPhone 3GS and TomTom Car Kit - Not working following iOS4.3 updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.