Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Camera not recognized. Was up to a few days ago

I've been using a Canon video camera FV-M10 mini-DV for live video (Skype/iChat) and also for importing video (mini-DV cassette) into Final Cut Express, After Effects or iMovie up until a few days ago. Then all of a sudden (my MacPro) nor any of the software can recognize my camera anymore. I can't recall if this came after the last security up-date from Apple a few days ago. But, I've tried everything. Both Firewire and USB connections using a few different cables. In Skype...(sometimes) it automatically shows the FV-M10 in the camera slot, but the screen is black. No, I checked if I left the cover on. Any ideas? Geez, I'd better check my Sony WS5 digital camera and see if that is recognized. Yes, both pics and AVCHD videos are seen using the Firewire connection. Anyone have any ideas? Please Help! Is this an issue with the new Apple Up-Date?

Posted on Apr 17, 2011 9:02 PM

18 replies

Apr 17, 2011 10:52 PM in response to xrc

Do you have another computer you can test the camera with?

When the camera shows up, but you get a black screen, have you tried pressing the play button?

Is the battery on the camera fully charged, and or is the camera plugged into power?

On the other side, have you tried removing the battery and leaving the camera unplugged for 5 minutes and then re-connecting it?

Dose rebooting the computer help?

Have you tried a NVRAM Reset?

Apr 22, 2011 5:55 AM in response to TeenTitan

Hi, sorry to be slow in writing. These quakes just keep coming. I've tried everything that you've mentioned (suggested) and still the Mac doesn't see the camera. Eventhough as I said, the name Canon mini-DV FV-M10 does automatically register in Skype in the camera slot. (But it's just a black screen). I wonder if the (time/date) battery is out. (not the regular battery). Nope, just checked and the time/date/hour is correct. I've tried both with electric and battery. Re-booted (Mac) set NVRAM, and both Firewire & USB using a number of different cables...etc.

The camera works. I can watch and take video. Just the cable connection to the Mac. Only a week or two ago Skype, iChat, FCEx, iMovie all connected with the camera. I do recall something strange happening when I started the Mac and the two External Hard Drives (Western 1Tb) icons came back on the Desktop. Maybe they interfered with Firewire/USB?

Apr 23, 2011 1:29 PM in response to Lanny

Hi,

I would agree with the PRAM reset. Shut down the computer. Restart it holding down Apple/CMD (or ⌘)+ALT +P+R Keys until you have heard three Start Up Bongs.

User uploaded file

It would also be useful to know what shows up in the System Profiler

Click the Apple Menu then hold the ALT Key and select the top item.

Use the reveal Triangles to open Hardware > Firewire

If it shows up there properly then the issue is with some piece of software.
This may in fact be a Quicktime component.

That in itself may be cured with a COMBO Install over what you have.

The 10.6.7 COMBO is here

This can be Installed over what you have.

I also would not daisychain the camera with a hard drive as they send at different rates.

The External iSight could only send at 200Mbps where as basic Firewire is 400 that disks can use.
I also had a DV converter that sent data adequately at 100Mbps.

OS 9 and early OS X had issues with some Canons Mainly the ZR series

User uploaded file
9:29 PM Saturday; April 23, 2011

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb( 10.6.7)
, Mac OS X (10.6.7),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Apr 23, 2011 2:33 PM in response to xrc

Hi,

Re Teen Titan's Play button thing.

Does this Camera have different Output options ?
Some can change between DV and PAL or NTSC.

Some have Demo Functions that cycle through any special Editing effects whilst showing the view finder's view.

There may be other options that have been set recently when the camera was doing something else.

However some of the Video Editing apps you list should be able to handle input in PAL or NTSC and not just DV.

iChat is the fussiest liking DV only when using a Firewire source.

User uploaded file
10:33 PM Saturday; April 23, 2011

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

, Mac OS X (10.6.7),

Apr 24, 2011 4:20 AM in response to Lanny

Well, thank you. I had tried all the other suggestions such as zap the Pram, re-booting, changing cables, and using both (either) Firewire or USB connections. The Canon mini-DV 2.33 Mega-pixels is NTSC. Those of you who suggested options on the camera (I didn't changed anything on the camera anyway).

Someone gave me a USB Logicool Web Cam (only 1.3 mega-pix) and that worked in Skype.

Now, for the Good News 🙂 I un-Plugged my two Western External 1Tb (each) hard drives. The Canon camera was recognized and was working again. Skype and iMovie both were fine. Now, I tried some things and I'd like to get your opinions or answers.

On the front of my MacPro are Two USB 2 inputs...and a 400/800 Firewire inputs.

If I UN-plug the two ext HD's in (they are both connected to the MacPro back-connections-but I Un-Plug them from the back of the hard drives.) Then Skype, iChat and iMovie are recognized. Therefore I can use this Canon mini-DV camera as a web cam. I can also plug in the Logicool Web cam (USB-front) at the same time

and am able to select either the FV-M10 or the Logicool from the pulldown box.

But, using Final Cut Express...I use my External hard drive as the scratch disk. And never seemed to have this problem before. So, I need to Un-Plug the two ext. hard drives every time I use Skype of iChat or iMovie? Why was I using these two external hard drives for a few years and could use iMovie, iChat, FCEx,

QT, Skype etc. without any problems?

I just spent a few hours un-plugging and trying this with that. Sometimes (when the 2 ext hd's were plugged in...iMovie would show "Your camera is Connected but some other Application is using it. Camera Busy (something like that)!!!! But, I quit Skype & iChat.... I was running this Firefox writing this... any answers?

So, my reults is that I have to UN-PLUG my two external hard drives to use my camera!

Only one other point (which I'm not sure about) is that on one of my external hd's, I had a copy of Skype. Would that matter? The one I'm using is in Apps folder on HD1. thanks....

Apr 24, 2011 1:03 PM in response to xrc

Hi,

Most computers with front and back Firewire and indeed USB ports have different controllers for them inside.

A look in the system Preferences should confirm this (Listed as Buses at least)

My USB layout

User uploaded file

Often Shutting down the computer with all periferals unplugged (cable wise) and waiting 15 minutes will get the ports and controllers to reset.

It may pay to try this.

Where the App is should not matter in this context. (It does for Updating purposes)

Is this a camera that can play back other media/Devices and convert it in to DV for onward Firewire connection to the computer ?

Sometime they store in one format and can output in another. This allows them to act as DV converters.
This may bear some impact on the settings on the camera.

You said the Computer has 400/800 ports.

Do you mean it has one of each ?

Or do you mean you are using an Adapter and running some devices at 400 and some at 800 ?

It is likely that the camera is neither (System Profiler should tell you)

You seem to be clearly saying nothing has changed from when it worked

I am just exploring ideas.

Is there any chance the Scratch disk is nearly full and is sending lots of data back and forth to see what it can drop/lose?

Has the app that uses it been shut down recently.

Have you increased the number of Undos that it can do ? (This will store more Scratch data)

Have you stored anything else on that disk that is in use or takes up a large portion of the space ?

User uploaded file
9:03 PM Sunday; April 24, 2011

, Mac OS X (10.6.7),

>

Jun 21, 2011 1:41 AM in response to Lanny

Yes, everything. Put the Mac in for repairs and they put in a new video board. But, I still have the same problem. I can use the Canon video camera (set to live or mini-DV casstte tape ) in Skype, iChat, iMovie etc. IF...the external HD6 is unplugged...now remember that I've been using the camera with HD5 & 6 plugged in up until I put my MacPro in for repairs....came back...and still have the same problem...

Jun 21, 2011 2:02 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Yes, I checked the SysPrefs... but remember that I've been using the Canon camera with both ext. hard drives plugged in (without problem) for at leat two years until this happened. Yes, I've tried everything Apple (Tokyo) suggested and more...

The Canon FV M10 just plays back (mini cassette DV disk or (I use it for a web cam~live)... I used it today with Skype...no problems (As Long as I don't connect the HD6 (ext 1Tb hard drive). The Canon canera just plays back or uses the live feed for Skype, iChat etc. I can even play a video tape back in Skype and others can watch it.... though I use it for a live cam...for study and students and friends communicating etc.

500 gbs space left to use. (Scratch disk)

I have one 400/800 FW each front & back. 3 USB 2.0 back 2 USB 2.0 front

Did all the suggestions above PRAM, shut-down, un-plug all devices etc....

Camera and video is all NTSC format stuff....

Since I don't work with video every day....I need to figure out what the problem is, because I paid a whopping about $600.00 for the new video board that Apple/Mac Tokyo put in (service fee etc. and only have 90 days warranty to figure this problem out.

I want to do it before the 90 days expire, if you know what I mean.

The HD6 (external) works fine...and I can save or access it no problem. But, if it's plugged in...then My camera no longer is seen...Well, actually it is...Using Skype it will show the Canon FV M10 in the bar BUT there is No picture. Just Black. Soon as I unplug the HD6...it's fine....

Sorry to say that I have a strang eproblem (fits me) and no-one really understands it.... Someone please help!

Jun 21, 2011 11:17 AM in response to xrc

Hi,

Firewire cameras rarely achieve 400Mbps even over a 400 connection.

The External iSight was/is rated at only 200Mbps

For this reason it does not like being Daisychained with Hard drives.

Issues can be worse if the computer is doing Time Machine to one of those Hard Drives.

It can be worse again if the Hard Drive is getting power via Firewire as well.

It may also pay to check out the Disk.

This could be becoming faulty and this may be the problem.

User uploaded file
7:17 PM Tuesday; June 21, 2011

 Mac OS X (10.6.7),

Jun 25, 2011 11:55 PM in response to TeenTitan

Yes, I've did all of the steps everyone had mentioned. Anyway, the MacPro came back from the shop, so I would figure that Apple would have noticed if the hard drives weren't good.

Apple did put in a new video board.

The problem is I have two 1Tb external My Studio Firewire hard drives. One is using FW800 (front) one is using FW400 (back). With the Canon FV mini DV cassette camera. I was using the camera for about two years with both ext. HD'S plugged in with any problems. I use the camera 1) for live: Skype, iChat, iMovie, FCEx etc.

2) playing (Importing DV video from tape).

The only way I can NOW use my Camera is if I un-plug HD6. Then the camera is recognized no problem. I can even playback video mini DV tape over Skype and people can watch it as well. But, I basically use my camera for live English or conferences or chatting with friends etc.

Jun 26, 2011 12:11 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Thanks for the tips. I forgot to mention that the Canon camera FV M10 is plugged into the front FW400 Port.

The two externals are now plugged in the rear (FW Port) HD5 FW400 HD6 FW800.

I don't use TM.

As far as the hard drives. Mac (on the phone) told me to try a bunch of things. Disk Utility showed my HD1 (OSX) was fine.

Sorry I don't spend a lot of time dealing with this problem. But, should before the 90 waranty runs out.

thanks

Camera not recognized. Was up to a few days ago

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.