Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my iphone tracking my location to a secret database, wifi access points and cell towers?

Source:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/apr/20/iphone-tracking-prompts-privacy -fearshttp://www.engadget.com/2011/04/20/researchers-find-ios-4-records-your-location- in-system-file-syn/

Summary:

Security researchers have discovered that Apple's iPhone keeps track of where you go – and saves every detail of it to a secret file on the device which is then copied to the owner's computer when the two are synchronised.

What I want to know is how I can turn this off? I do NOT want this location tracked and I consider this a violation of my privacy as this is done WITHOUT my consent. Please provide a solution to TURN THIS TRACKING OFF.

Posted on Apr 20, 2011 4:57 PM

71 replies

Apr 20, 2011 5:13 PM in response to NiqueXyZ

NiqueXyZ wrote:

how I can turn this off?

Unfortunately, this cannot be turned off. The only way to turn it off would be to disable your cellular usage but then you couldn't make calls or use data which would make your phone not a phone.

I consider this a violation of my privacy as this is done WITHOUT my consent.

Do not worry, your privacy is not violated. The data is sent anonymously and is only used by apple and third parties for research. No information that could connect you to the location data is collected. And you actually DID consent to it. In the terms and conditions when you updated to iOS 4 you agreed to allow Apple to collect this information and share it with your parties. You just didn't happen to read it before you clicked accept (like no one does). Here is a link if you'd like:

http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/iphone4.pdf

(b) Location Data. Apple and its partners and licensees may provide certain services through your iPhone that rely upon location information. To provide and improve these services, where available, Apple and its partners and licensees may transmit, collect, maintain, process and use your location data, including the real-time geographic location of your iPhone, and location search queries. The location data and queries collected by Apple are collected in a form that does not personally identify you and may be used by Apple and its partners and licensees to provide and improve location-based products and services. By using any location-based services on your iPhone, you agree and consent to Apple's and its partners' and licensees' transmission, collection, maintenance, processing and use of your location data and queries to provide and improve such products and services. You may withdraw this consent at any time by going to the Location Services setting on your iPhone and either turning off the global Location Services setting or turning off the individual location settings of each location-aware application on your iPhone. Not using these location features will not impact the non location-based functionality of your iPhone. When using third party applications or services on the iPhone that use or provide location data, you are subject to and should review such third party's terms and privacy policy on use of location data by such third party applications or services.

Apr 20, 2011 5:46 PM in response to applefandan

"By using any location-based services on your iPhone, you agree and consent to Apple's and its partners' and licensees' transmission, collection, maintenance, processing and use of your location data and queries to provide and improve such products and services. You may withdraw this consent at any time by going to the Location Services setting on your iPhone and either turning off the global Location Services setting or turning off the individual location settings of each location-aware application on your iPhone."

That's conflicting with your answer that it can't be turned off.

I'm going to test this in a minute -- but hypothetically -- let's say I follow the instructions in the TOS and turn off location services -- and this file STILL gets created and tracks my location...isn't that a violation of their terms?

I just turned off location services in the system settings. Tomorrow when I go to work I'm going to run the program and see if it's still tracking my location. I'll update this thread when I get the answer, but I have a pretty good idea it's still going to be tracking my location.

The implications here are profound -- I gladly submit to a gps application (let's say Navigon) to access my location at the time I click the "OK" button on the popup that asks my permission -- what I am not granting permission to is the device to track my location and store it in a database file 24\7...Why does Navigon or whatever app need to know where I was last week, or last month? Or the cell towers and mac addresses of the Wifi access points I have come in contact with? What if someone were to steal my phone and extract this file? You can encrypt the sync backup file (which would prevent someone from accessing the information that is stored on your itunes computer) -- but you can not encrypt it on the device itself...

Call me paranoid, but anyone using an iDevice should be concerned about this...I don't think this is right at all.

Keep in mind that ALL iDevices except for the iPad 2 have the ability to be "jailbroken" -- meaning anyone who grabs your phone \ ipad (or ipod touch maybe? I bet the non-3g devices just track the MAC addresses of all the wifi access points you come in range of) has the ability to run an exploit and completely unlock the filesystem on the device and be granted root access.

Apr 20, 2011 6:26 PM in response to Chris91FTW

What are you talking about? I downloaded the program the two guys made and it found the database file -- it then displayed the entries from the database on a map..I saw every place I had gone (including my trips out of town) ever since I bought the phone...I also looked through the database file and saw the mac addresses of the wifi routers that I have used! This is NOT fake, this is real.

If you have an iphone (or 3g ipad) go ahead and try it for yourself...actually i'm curious to know if it also works on ipod touch and non 3g ipads -- I suspect it will track the wifi access points only.

http://petewarden.github.com/iPhoneTracker/

Senator Al Franken has sent a letter to Jobs asking him to explain himself:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/04/senator-questions-apple-in-wake-of-ios -tracking-scandal.ars

Apr 20, 2011 6:57 PM in response to Chris91FTW

Believing that Apple would release information about an illegal activity is a rookie mistake, Chris91FTW. The news about this was on EVERY news segment on every channel that had a news segment.

FOX News Channel

CBS local news

You name the news segment, it was covered. Privacy is a major issue here and I doubt Apple will snitch on themselves. I smell a Class Action lawsuit with civil rights activists or is that Apple ******** themselves for getting discovered by a "3rd Party". Eh, it's probably both. Oh, and Apple has yet to comment about it since the secret was found and released publically.

Apr 20, 2011 7:00 PM in response to Vashnik

From what I understand, the jailbreak community is working to have this tracking "feature" (aka illegal activity -- as you put it very well) removed. We'll have to wait and see but I hope someone comes up with a solution. By the way, it's still tracking me. I went up to the corner for some gas and came back, and I re-checked the database file after turning location services off. I saw my trip on the map.

Apr 20, 2011 7:10 PM in response to Chris91FTW

Chris91FTW wrote:

You are beleiving third party sources about privacy.

This is the same as trusting 3rd party websites about the release of the iPad 2 and then iPhone 5. Websites said that the iPad 2 was gonna have a USB Port......Did it?

apple.com/hotnews and see if anything's there

Just so we are clear, even though apple has not posted an official statement, it IS happening. There is proof that it is and there is absolutely no way you can dispute that. Congress and the FCC are also looking into it:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0411/53500.html

I love apple too, but when there is evidence of something, just because the company who manufacturers a product doesn't officially acknowledge it does not mean it isn't happening. For example, if there were reports of say Motorola's new phone catching fire in 90% of cases (all fictional by the way) and since it just was reported by the users today Motorola has not issued a recall or statement, it does not mean that the phones aren't catching fire. Again all this is fictional. Motorola's phones aren't catching fire, I just used them as an example. 😝

Apr 20, 2011 7:20 PM in response to Chris91FTW

You certainly like kissing Apple's ***, don't you Chris91FTW. Trying to get a free device? Computer?

If Apple said you could win $1000 just for jumping, would you do it? I wouldn't. I don't think Apple would even really give you $1000 just for jumping.

Believing that Apple would snitch on themselves before news got out is still a Rookie mistake. So believing news on FOX Channel and CBS News... is not a rookie mistake, especially if you have multiple high reputation news channels covering the same story from the same source that found this file, and to top it off, proof was provided. How much dumber can you be, Chris91FTW?

You're quick to call BS on news with proof.

Why is my iphone tracking my location to a secret database, wifi access points and cell towers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.